PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
...there were none.

---

Sewall Cameron Cutler
Born September 4, 1917, New London, Connecticut

Grew up in New York City, went to Yale, 1941.

Served in the Pacific in the Second World War, Navy.

After the war, moved to Dallas, where he met Avalon "Midge" Scarborough, whom he married for life. A stint with the Liberty Broadcasting System, then the Marshall Plan in Europe, returning to Dallas in 1955 for a career in commercial real estate.

Four kids, four grandkids, and myriad friends who tell me that the person wasn't born yet who did not like my dad.

Preceded in death by Midge Cutler, 2007; Called home, 11:33 PM, 21 September, 2010.

Dear God in heaven, I'm gonna miss him.

Attachments

• Sewall.jpg
    Sewall.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 41
Four kids, four grandkids, and myriad friends who tell me that the person wasn't born yet who did not like my dad.

Aww man Spike, I'm really sorry to hear this. :(

But what you mention just above, I think you got that gene too.

deepest sympathy from Leah and I, Spike.

Spike,

There's a good reason that they say apples don't fall far from the tree. I'm sure your dad was very proud of you, and know that you loved him dearly.

Eccliastes Ch 3. pretty well sums up the "time for all things" that are present in all of our lives. I've never been a real fan of the "time to die" part, but have somewhat grudgingly come to accept it as part of the deal. It's just easier when it's not somebody you love.

I would be honored to contribute to any charity or cause that the family may choose. My best to you and the family during this tough time.

Wayne

I'm so sorry Spike.

Condolences from the Brennan family.

I'm sorry, Spike. Funerals are never fun, especially when it's someone you love. At least it sounds like your father had a great life, and knowing you I would expect as such. Such things I find comforting, especially having known a few poor souls who died without leaving much behind in the way of life experiences or people who loved them.

My best to you and your family.

Sorry to hear that, Spike. It sounds like your dad had a great life.

Spike,

My deepest condolences. It is a very difficult thing to lose a parent, even if it takes them out of pain. And especially losing your last remaining parent. :(

Bill

So sorry. But, your dad will always be with you.

Spike, my friend what can I say? Sounds like your dad was quite the mench. My sympathies are with you and the rest of the family, Take solace in that I am sure you made him proud!

Thank you, friends.

Even having been through this three years ago with my Mom, I cannot describe how much it hurts. He was a good egg.

Spike,

Our deepest condolences to you and your family. You will most certainly be in our thoughts.

I'm certain that he was proud of the man that you became. Continue to honor him in your life and raise Tommy in a way that would make him proud. His legacy certainly doesn't stop here.

Spike,

I'm really sorry to hear this. I know exactly how you are feeling having lost my Dad last year.

We think the internet is impersonal.
Yet, as I read this and other posts that inform our small community of people I've never met in person, I'm again brought to the verge of tears at the honor, respect and homage paid to a lost loved one. Spike, I'm so very sorry about your loss, and like all those here who have, and those who have yet to respond, know your Dad had every reason to be as proud of you as you are of him.
Please know that here in Georgia, you and your family are in my family's prayers.

So sorry, Spike. Take care, your Dad definitely left a fine legacy.

Kaye

Spike, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My prayers go out to you and your family. It's tough for you now, I know, and only time will make it a little better. Mr. Sewall Cameron Cutler sounds like quite a guy. Through you we know him.

My condolences and prayers are with you and your family, Spike.

-Rich

You and Celia and Tommy are in my and Teresa's thoughts, Spike. Our deepest condolences. I know how close you are to your family, how important they are to you. Surround yourself in their comfort now.

You have my sympathies as well Spike. Losing one's parents is kinda the final shove out into the cruel real world. When my dad passed away I not only felt the personal loss of a comfortable relationship but also became acutely aware that I no longer had a parent to help me out of any jam I might find myself in.

You have my sympathies as well Spike. Losing one's parents is kinda the final shove out into the cruel real world. When my dad passed away I not only felt the personal loss of a comfortable relationship but also became acutely aware that I no longer had a parent to help me out of any jam I might find myself in.

Lance:

You nailed it there. At 51 years old, I shouldn't be scared to be alone... but there you are.

I'm sorry to hear it, Spike. You'll be in our thoughts.

I know it's scant consolation at this point, but my dad was your dad's age, and he's been gone for 17 years, now. I know you appreciated those extra 6,205 days...and I also know that both of us would give anything for just one more...

He will live forever through you, and your son.

Spike, I'm sooooo sorry. :( He must have been a wonderful man to have raised such a wonderful son. I know your heart must feel heavy right now. When my dad died, I felt an empty place in my life and I still wish I could talk with him about things like I used to. But, in a way, I still feel like he's with me and can imagine what he might say...his words of wisdom are still in my head and heart. Your father is still with you, in a way, and he lives on in your son.

Hugs from the farm......

Spike, I'm sooooo sorry. :( He must have been a wonderful man to have raised such a wonderful son. I know your heart must feel heavy right now. When my dad died, I felt an empty place in my life and I still wish I could talk with him about things like I used to. But, in a way, I still feel like he's with me and can imagine what he might say...his words of wisdom are still in my head and heart. Your father is still with you, in a way, and he lives on in your son.

Hugs from the farm......

You can still talk to your dad anytime, and like you said the answers are often lurking in your head and heart if you only listen closely.

To me, the loss of my dad brought me to start thinking about my own future mortality. You'll get through it, but there will always be an emptiness. "Oh, but for the things I would have liked to have done..."

It's true that one feels especially bereft when both parents are gone, but take comfort in knowing you had both for a good long time, and enjoyed a functional relationship. That may be the way it goes for most people, but not all... it's a blessing.

My Daddy dealt a lot in raw land, did some neighborhood developing, and later in life, sorta specialized in motel sites (HI Express and that sort of thing), mostly for one hotel operator. His Broker's license was still current when he died, and his last commission was paid within the last year. Not bad for an old fart.

One of the best things - the golden-rimmed memories that have always made me smile - my dad would say, "Spike, I have to go look at some land, you want to come?" The answer was always, "Yes!," and we'd go traveling all over north Texas looking at pieces of land, ranches, whatever. He always seemed to know where there was an airport on the way, too.

Then there was the time we were talking about that big new airport - DFW Regional (as they called it back when) under construction. I figured we'd never be allowed to go look around, true enough, but my Dad said, "...well hell, son, we'll just throw a roll of plans and a couple of hard-hats in the back, they'll never know we don't belong." And he was right, and we drove all over that site, up and down runways and taxiways and all around the half-built terminals.

He may be gone but the things he and his generation done will be felt forever.
Sorry about your (our) loss.

As previously stated, apples don't fall far from the tree.

I figured we'd never be allowed to go look around, true enough, but my Dad said, "...well hell, son, we'll just throw a roll of plans and a couple of hard-hats in the back, they'll never know we don't belong." And he was right, and we drove all over that site, up and down runways and taxiways and all around the half-built terminals.

Sincere condolences.

-Jim

Back