E6B Pro is on the App Store!

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
My first iPhone app, E6B Pro, is available on the App store as of today. It's designed to run on the iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch.

logo.png

Features:
True Airspeed
Cloud Base
Density Altitude
Pressure Altitude
Standard Atmosphere
Compass Heading
Course / Groundspeed / WCA
Distance
ETA
Groundspeed
Heading / Groundspeed / WCA
Leg Time
Reciprocal Heading
Speed Unit Conversion
Distance Unit Conversion
Temperature Unit Conversion
Altitude Unit Conversion
Pressure Unit Conversion
Fuel Unit Conversion
Adjustable fuel weight
Stopwatch
Timer

Additional features will be developed and released as free updates for those that have purchased the app. I'll also take requests :)

For more information:
http://www.e6bpro.com

Jesse, the app looks great. At the risk of sounding cheap, is there any chance of a free or "lite" version? I only ask because I already have a pretty good e6b app and would love to give yours a try, but don't really want to spend $4.99 on a similar program. Who knows, I might end up dropping the five bucks anyway just to support you in your venture! You are a far more ambitious man than I!

:cheerswine: Wooo hoooo! Congratulations, Jesse! Party at your place?? :goofy:

Hi Jesse looks great!

Question/request: does your app have a way to quickly show Zulu vs local time?

Thanks

Hi Jesse looks great!

Thanks
It does not currently. but that feature will be in the v1.1 release. It'll be a free upgrade for those that purchased v1.0.

Congratulations, Jesse. May you make millions.

-Rich

Now I need to buy me an iPhone...

works very well - simple straightforward -- good job :goofy:
Glad you like it. I'd appreciate a review on the app store. If you need a feature - let me know. I'm building a list of new features for v1.1.

Last edited:
will do as soon as i use it a bit more.
novel idea for a what if engine out
altitude
decent rate
glide airspeed
ground speed (from gps)
distance to touchdown
I know: if i am engine out will i be fiddling with the iphone --- more of a preplan tool

will do as soon as i use it a bit more.
novel idea for a what if engine out
altitude
decent rate
glide airspeed
ground speed (from gps)
distance to touchdown
I know: if i am engine out will i be fiddling with the iphone --- more of a preplan tool
Would the glide airspeed be needed?

I'd think parameters would be:
Altitude (AGL)
Descent rate
ground speed

output:
distance to touchdown

Altitude (AGL)
Descent rate
ground speed

output:
distance to touchdown

if you're going to do it, a time to touchdown would be good too.

if you're going to do it, a time to touchdown would be good too.
Given the uneven surface of the earth and the existence of trees and other obstacles, I would think a time to final landing spot decision height (say 500 AGL but maybe this number should be an input, too...) would be more useful.

-Skip

Altitude (AGL)
Descent rate
ground speed

output:
distance to touchdown

Just for discussion:

• Descent rate and airspeed depend on weight
  • ground speed and distance depend on winds
  • There are actually 2 best glide speeds (like there are 2 best climb speeds) one maximizes distance traveled and one minimizes descent rate, maximizing climb.
The calculation I use most (in my head) is glide ratio and Altitude AGL -> max glide distance no wind. Then wind direction to turn that circle into an oval. Best glide speed based on current weight.

As stated above, no sane person will whip out their phone during an emergency to get an accurate number, well maybe a passenger or sic if you're high enough. The most common use will be as a flight planning tool, like Tim's recent question about Lance's and water crossing.

Joe

Now we know why Jesse was asking for our advice and what formulas to use.

CONGRATS, Jesse! Make a million!

Hi Jesse looks great!

Thanks
The feature has been added to the v1.1 release which is still in development. It'll be a free update to v1.0 users and will be submitted to Apple for approval this weekend. A preview:
zuluTime.png

As a planning tool I thought the airspeed and ground speed would help with the wind vector when you slowed down to best glide. I was looking for a preemptive tool while at cruise.
Re:engine out.
patrick
just love the Zulu time --- by the way good addition

Last edited:
Yeah like it too.
I like how the keyboard popping up never covers up the input fields.

On fuel burn any plans to add weight burned off along with gallons burned off?

Yeah like it too.
I like how the keyboard popping up never covers up the input fields.

On fuel burn any plans to add weight burned off along with gallons burned off?

And if you add a fuel consumption calculator with tank switch reminder (Hint! :idea: Make a suggested time/duration per tank with a way to override.) please remember that some of us have 4 fuel tanks.

There was Palm app that had a simple chart of the % fuel situation in each tank, but I couldn't get a 4 tank version.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone - keep it coming. I am very willing to add features.

v1.1 will be available on the app store hopefully within a week or so. It includes:
-Glide Distance
-Glide Altitude
-Glide Ratio
-Zulu Time
-Local Time
-True Airspeed from Mach (mach, oat)

Jesse, First , Congrats on your first (of many, I'm sure) release.
I was telling a fellow churchgoer and iPhone user who flies for Atlantic Southeast Airways about your app. First he said he'd check it out, and second, he was curious as to how much it cost to get a new app approved by the folks at Apple. I admit I'm curious as to the cost and method as well.
Anything you can share on this subject? If not I understand, especially the cost aspect.
Good luck. Maybe you could dedicate all the profits to your "Jesse's new airplane fund".

I was telling a fellow churchgoer and iPhone user who flies for Atlantic Southeast Airways about your app. First he said he'd check it out, and second, he was curious as to how much it cost to get a new app approved by the folks at Apple. I admit I'm curious as to the cost and method as well.
Anything you can share on this subject? If not I understand, especially the cost aspect.
Good luck. Maybe you could dedicate all the profits to your "Jesse's new airplane fund".

Keith,

It's $99/year to have the ability to put apps on the App Store, and Apple gets a 30% cut of sales. There is no specific cost to getting an app approved.

As Kent says you're looking at $99 per year plus 30% of your sales. That said you'll also need to have a Mac to develop on and learn the platform. You may have to make some investments into the application to get it where you want it to be. For example, I hired a graphics designer to make some of graphical assets.

Apple will not approve every application. They just released some guidelines the other day to explain their review process.

Some of the interesting parts:
We have over 250,000 apps in the App Store. We don't need any more Fart apps. If your app doesn't do something useful or provide some form of lasting entertainment, it may not be accepted
If your App looks like it was cobbled together in a few days, or you're trying to get your first practice App into the store to impress your friends, please brace yourself for rejection. We have lots of serious developers who don't want their quality Apps to be surrounded by amateur hour.
We will reject Apps for any content or behavior that we believe is over the line. What line, you ask? Well, as a Supreme Court Justice once said, "I'll know it when I see it". And we think that you will also know it when you cross it.
If your app is rejected, we have a Review Board that you can appeal to. If you run to the press and trash us, it never helps.

Last edited:
Thanks,
I kinda like the straight talk used in the guidelines.

Hopefully, you'll sell a ton of these and other stuff that I'll bet you are already cooking up.
Good luck.

Those of you that purchased the app - thank you for your business - I'd appreciate a review on the store if you have the time.

I downloaded it. I like it. Works great.

Given that this may be used by students, is there a simple way to create links for some of the terms (or put an "i" symbol after them) to pop-up a description or definition? Screen real estate may make this tough. Maybe a glossary page?

I've been playing around some with developing a simple app. (My experience level is this: "I got a list of things to appear! Woohoo!"). I'm curious as to why you went with the qwerty keyboard for input of numerical values and not just the number keypad.

$99 per YEAR to have your app in the store? Wow, I had no idea. I wish you lots of luck with this! If you have a free app, how does somebody make money at it?

Hope this pays for all your flying!!! And a Mac upgrade, if you want one! I'd buy it, but I have a Droid.

And if you add a fuel consumption calculator with tank switch reminder (Hint! :idea: Make a suggested time/duration per tank with a way to override.) please remember that some of us have 4 fuel tanks.

Hmmm, who would *ever* have thought of such a thing?

$99 per YEAR to have your app in the store? Wow, I had no idea. I wish you lots of luck with this! If you have a free app, how does somebody make money at it?

Hope this pays for all your flying!!! And a Mac upgrade, if you want one! I'd buy it, but I have a Droid.

Hey. I don't have an iPhone, and yet, *I* bought it (OK, so my wife now has an e6b app on her iPhone...).

I downloaded it. I like it. Works great.

Given that this may be used by students, is there a simple way to create links for some of the terms (or put an "i" symbol after them) to pop-up a description or definition? Screen real estate may make this tough. Maybe a glossary page?

I've been playing around some with developing a simple app. (My experience level is this: "I got a list of things to appear! Woohoo!"). I'm curious as to why you went with the qwerty keyboard for input of numerical values and not just the number keypad.
I'll think about the 'i' thing.

As to the keyboard - the normal number pad is kind of big and doesn't support decimals or negative or have a done button. You can try to tack those buttons on but it's a big code hack. Better off to make your own keyboard if you need to.

Back