Failed my Class III medical today.

I think it needs to be said...

why are you guys using your AME to find out/corrrect medical issues?

Resolve the issues BEFORE you visit the AME.

A possible consequence is you are grounded until the issue is resolved. By then, the FAA is involved. And maybe a favorite fly-in is coming up....

EDIT: sometimes the AME's equipment is antiquated or not used often enough. That means you might be having CORRECTIVE VISION added to your cert simply because the AME's equipment was faulty. BTW: my old Senior AME (Henry Rowe, MD...RIP) explained this to me.

Last edited:
The wall chart was faulty?????
Was the toeline the specified distance? Was the overhead lighting at proper intensity? Was the chart itself of specific contrast or was the white background yellowed, curled, or torn with age?

Last edited:
I can't say about Class II- but I'll share my experience with a Class III medical.
I've done this twice now as my eyes are apparently borderline at distance. My last NJ medical, I was able to pass without any lenses; the next one needed the restriction back on. I passed my current medical without corrections. They simply don't type "Must wear corrective lenses." on the medical.

With the glasses, I check out at 20/10 for distance, so I use them. I like the option, if absolutely needed, to be able to get home reasonably safely and legally without corrective lenses.

Thank you, I would assume it would be the same for a II except for the more stringent requirement. I just wondered if there would be any hoops since it was on there before.

I was slightly annoyed by it but didn't think anything of it as a naive student pilot at the time since I usually wear my contacts anyway. However, like you, I would prefer to stay legal if I didn't have/need them.

Ed, (and probably some others reading here) I think you should Google Paragon CRT and try this out. I have been using this for over 5 years with amazing distant vision which has not changed at all for the 5 years. It should work well for you because your correction is pretty small to begin with as mine was. Your great close vision will not be helped and probably will deteriorate some but it is not permanent like lasik so if you are not pleased you just quit wearing them.
The website lists about 50 eye docs in Wisconsin who offer CRT so it should not be hard to find one near you. I will share with anyone on here all the little details that work well for me if you decide to try it.

Rick

Had my yearly eye exam at the eye doc yesterday. Each eye was slightly better than 20/30 individual, and better than 20/20 together. Go figure.

Well, I figured the day was coming, but not quite so soon. I failed to pass the Class III exam today. Until I put on my glasses, then I was all good. 20/30 uncorrected with both eyes at a distance, but 20/50 individually, so I had to put em on in order to get it issued.

"Holder shall wear lenses that correct for distant vision while exercising the privileges of his/her airman certificate."

Stamped right there on my medical every time I've had one! Welcome to the club!

Does your AME also have a nifty pre-printed stamp for it too? Very efficient. ;)

"Holder shall wear lenses that correct for distant vision while exercising the privileges of his/her airman certificate."

Stamped right there on my medical every time I've had one! Welcome to the club!

Does your AME also have a nifty pre-printed stamp for it too? Very efficient. ;)

You only need 20/40 for class III, hence my update.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back