Spencer Iowa (KSPW) Aerobatic Contest Aug 14/15

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Light and Sporty Guy
IAC chapter 78 is having their contest this month:

http://www.iac78.org/contest.html

I plan on being there - but not flying - I'll probably be doing some job fit for a maroon:wink2: (I'll be dropping my oldest off for a visit in Minnesota and riding down from KFCM with my brother)

As I understand it, the airport will be open but the pattern is modified via NOTAM to keep traffic clear of the box.

My pictures (well, some of them - I didn't upload the REALLY bad ones...)

http://picasaweb.google.com/113074946255891896082/DougYostChallengeSpencerIowa#

Had a great time.:goofy:

Thursday I helped put out the box markers, watched for traffic, monitored CTAF and advised incoming aircraft that the box was hot. Friday I was on CTAF again and just generally hanging out. When the contest got started on Saturday I got drafted to load all the scores into the computer (along with another guy) - decent job - we would get a bunch of judges sheets, pound in the data (in an air-conditioned hangar), then we would go outside to watch the contest for a while. The balcony at Spencer Avionics was, like, THE place to hang out.

Sunday we departed as part of a flight of three - Video

I didn't get the formation landing because I dropped my camera when I was trying to put it into a pocket in one of the bags I was holding. It fell down to the belly skin, but I was able to get my foot down quickly and pin it in place so it didn't slide back into the controls :hairraise: (there is no "floor" in the airplane, just a couple strips of aluminum for your feet).

Is the yellow modified pitts yours, or your brothers?

I believe you (or your brother) followed us in to KOEO on the way back from KOSH this year, and were stuck b/c of the storms in the area. We gave one of you a ride to a hotel.

If that IS you or your brother, what is the pad on the front seat instrument panel for? To prevent injury during maneuvers?

Tim

Is the yellow modified pitts yours, or your brothers?

I believe you (or your brother) followed us in to KOEO on the way back from KOSH this year, and were stuck b/c of the storms in the area. We gave one of you a ride to a hotel.

If that IS you or your brother, what is the pad on the front seat instrument panel for? To prevent injury during maneuvers?

Tim

It's my brothers - scratch built with a hopped up IO-540. I drive a rag and tube LSA (Merlin GT) - no comparison. And, that would have been him that you gave the ride to.

He put the pad there because your face is pretty close to the panel when you are in the front seat - better than a face full of metal in the event of a sudden stop.

Judging by the heading in 54th and 55th pictures... In about 10nm you would have flown over my home field... Wish I didn't have to work so I could have attended... Looked like fun!

Judging by the heading in 54th and 55th pictures... In about 10nm you would have flown over my home field... Wish I didn't have to work so I could have attended... Looked like fun!

I think we passed just to the north west,

And yes, it was fun.

Of course, it's not like an "airshow" where it's all low level smoke and noise (and on the other side of a crowd control barrier). I think what one would want to do is to go armed with at least the "known" sequences for the various levels so you know what they are trying to do and what to look for. As a volunteer, it's not hard to wrangle copies of the unknown sequences (after they are distributed) and even the individual free style sequences. Plus, even if you aren't flying, you are right there in the middle of everything.

Back