NYC hotel recommendations near Times Square?

jason

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Jason W (FlyNE)
I'll be in New Jersey/New York on business in a couple of days. I'm looking for a nice hotel near Times Square. Preferably something under $250/night. I'm only staying one night in the city.

Unfortunately, I won't have time to meet up with any of you NYC/Jersey people. I wish that I had an extra day to try to organize a meet-up.

I don't think there are any hotels regularly priced under $250.00 / night near Times Square except for the St. James Hotel, which is old but not horrible, and where last year I managed to find a room for a friend at an amazing $165.00 / night. The room rates seem to fluctuate with the phases of the moon, though, so no promises.

There are also a few Comfort Inns scattered throughout Midtown where I sometimes manage to find rooms in the ~ $250 range. Maybe other chains, as well, but I'm not familiar with any of the others.

-Rich

In my experience, which is limited to weekends, Priceline is great in NYC.

Once you learn how to game the Priceline system a little bit, its pretty easy. See:

http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/forums/68/t/New-York-State-New-York-City.html

http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showforum=123&

Make sure you understand the "free rebid" process.

I've always been able to score a "4*" property in the Times Square or Midtown area for less than $175, often $125 or less. I'm sure weekdays are higher though.

How close to Times Square do you want to be?

http://www.michelangelohotel.com/ is nice.

I usually stay at the Hilton and frequently can get corporate rates under 300 bucks but that might not apply to you.

The Warwick - another block (or two, can't remember) closer to Central Park so it might not fit your needs - nice hotel.

You might do a lot better if you pick a hotel in Queens that's close to any of the subway lines that go to Times Square / 42nd Street / PABT, etc. The time from Western Queens to Times Square by subway is, at most, 20 minutes. A hotel in Long Island City would be an excellent choice as it's close to both Manhattan and the subways.

I'd invite you to stay here, but I'm nowhere near a subway line. To get to Times Square from here you'd either have to drive to the Court House Square garage, park the car, and catch a train; or take a city bus to the train. These options make for an hour or an hour-and-a-half trip to Times Square, respectively, under the best of circumstances. Add a construction delay or two on the overland leg, and the time grows from there...

-Rich

There are a number of "boutique" hotels that are under $200. Clean, pleasant, a bit cramped but still a good deal. Last time I was there (I'm still looking for the business card...) the bathroom was huge, the room itself cramped.

I've become addicted to Kayak (www.kayak.com) rather than Priceline. I like the ability to cancel without losing all the money when plans change. But that's a personal opinion.

I usually stay at the Courtyard on 40th between Broadway and 6th. ~$150 a night many times.

Cheers,

-Andrew

I usually stay at the Courtyard on 40th between Broadway and 6th. ~$150 a night many times.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Likewise, though I think I paid 200+ the last time I stayed there.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Likewise, though I think I paid 200+ the last time I stayed there.

Thanks, guys. They're $259.00 now. There are quite a few nice looking hotels for under $250, though I'm not against paying the Courtyard if I know it's a nice stay. I thought somebody might know of a nice boutique that I should take a look at. I HATE wading through tripadvisor.com.

We used HotWire and ended up with a real $499 a night 4 star hotel right around the corner for a rate of like $160 a night. Then we had to cancel and lost the money.

You have to trust the force when they say it's a 4 star hotel. It was for us.

Last edited:
You might do a lot better if you pick a hotel in Queens that's close to any of the subway lines that go to Times Square / 42nd Street / PABT, etc. The time from Western Queens to Times Square by subway is, at most, 20 minutes. A hotel in Long Island City would be an excellent choice as it's close to both Manhattan and the subways.
Nah, work is paying for the room. A few dollars here or there isn't going to be the end of the world.

I'd invite you to stay here, but I'm nowhere near a subway line. To get to Times Square from here you'd either have to drive to the Court House Square garage, park the car, and catch a train; or take a city bus to the train. These options make for an hour or an hour-and-a-half trip to Times Square, respectively, under the best of circumstances. Add a construction delay or two on the overland leg, and the time grows from there...

-Rich

I appreciate the thought. I'd be happy meeting you for dinner the next time I'm in town (and have time).

How close to Times Square do you want to be?

http://www.michelangelohotel.com/ is nice.

I usually stay at the Hilton and frequently can get corporate rates under 300 bucks but that might not apply to you.

The Warwick - another block (or two, can't remember) closer to Central Park so it might not fit your needs - nice hotel.

Just within the general area. Thanks for the tips, I'll check them out!

Washington Square Hotel is very nice. I think we paid less than $250 a night to stay there. It is in Greenwich Village so it is a ways from Times Square, but it is still in Manhattan. I would guess that five dollars and a taxi would get you to Times Square. Washington Square and Greenwich Village is my favorite neighborhood in NYC, so I recommend it whenever I can. Maybe it works for you, maybe not.

Last edited:
I haven't been there for a few years but I always had great services at the Doral Tuscany. It's a European style hotel and they were terrific in every detail; don't remember the rates.

HR

It's on E 34th, but I loved the Affinia Dumont. Nice studio rooms, so you get some space rather than being cramped like a lot of hotels. :D

We stayed at the Mayfair New York Hotel when we were there last year. They were remodeling the lobby when we were there, so prices were reduced. Not sure what they are running these days.

Not much for amenities, but it was a soft place to sleep after hoofing it around NYC all day.

Back