Weird police telemarketing... (N/A)

wbarnhill

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iEXTERMINATE
So I got a call from the SC Fraternal Order of Police foundation today, seeking donations. I politely declined, but I have to wonder where they got my cell phone number from. The only thing I can guess is incident reports from either the vandalism to my car or the DUI I witnessed. My big question now is... is that legal? I'd understand reports maybe being public, but not the private information listed within. Does using the police mean I 'opt-in' to phone solicitations from them? :confused:

So I got a call from the SC Fraternal Order of Police foundation today, seeking donations.

Sad to say, but the FOP fundraisers were one of the most persistant, and relentless organizations I've ever dealt with. We do give to charitable organizations, but it's really my call as to when we donate and how much. The Fundraising organization the FOP hired wasn't all enamored of that attitude.

Gary

The FOP, like any private organization, bought a caller ID database. Actually they probably contracted with a professional telemarketing firm that had the database and the assets to make the calls for a percentage of the money raised . Your cellphone number got on it. It is there most likely because of a previous disclosure on your part or failure to register the number on the national do not call list. The EPCA prevents telemarketers from calling several types of numbers, one in which the owner of the number has to pay for incoming calls being one of those. That would include cellular phones as you pay for all the call minutes.

Telemarketers are required to clean up their databases to remove any stray cellphone numbers. But sometimes they still get through.

Here is where you register a complaint

https://esupport.fcc.gov/ccmsforms/form1088.action

Note the choice near the bottom of the page:

Wireless communications device (cell phone, pager)
Select that choice.

Last edited:
ditto on aggressive, relentless and rude phone calls from FOP. Not my favorite people.

Around here, police unions and societies use a professional telemarketing company. They all appear to use the same company, which hires gruff-sounding men (never women, in my experience) who "sound like cops" and all but represent themselves as such. The great bulk of any contributions go to the telemarketing company, not the police organizations.

If you make the mistake of donating to any one of the charities, you'll get calls from every supposed police group in the state, practically every day. They will offer you everything from plastic stickers, to miniature badges, to full-sized badges (complete with a leather case and a real-looking ID card), to bronze placards for your car, depending on the amount of your contribution.

The NYPD and a few other departments absolutely prohibit this type of solicitation on behalf of the department and the various unions representing service members, and actively confront companies that claim to be representing them. Departments that ban this sort of thing usually refer people who inquire about contributing to department-approved organizations, which do not use telemarketing. (For example, the NYPD will refer you to the NYC Police Foundation if you call and want to make a contribution. But the Foundation won't call you to ask for one.)

But the NYPD is one of the exceptions. Most of the other police groups in the state tacitly approve of telemarketing by accepting funds collected by the telemarketers. Although only a fraction of what is collected gets passed on to the groups, the telemarketing companies provide the mini badges, labels, stickers, and other official-looking trinkets; so it's free money for the organizations.

-Rich

The FOP, like any private organization, bought a caller ID database. Actually they probably contracted with a professional telemarketing firm that had the database and the assets to make the calls for a percentage of the money raised . Your cellphone number got on it. It is there most likely because of a previous disclosure on your part or failure to register the number on the national do not call list. The EPCA prevents telemarketers from calling several types of numbers, one in which the owner of the number has to pay for incoming calls being one of those. That would include cellular phones as you pay for all the call minutes.

Telemarketers are required to clean up their databases to remove any stray cellphone numbers. But sometimes they still get through.

Here is where you register a complaint

https://esupport.fcc.gov/ccmsforms/form1088.action

Note the choice near the bottom of the page:

Select that choice.

Done and done. Thanks Scott!

Calls from police organizations make me nervous, especially when they offer a sticker for your car for a donation. Sure smacks of a protection racket or basis for discrimination. Especially here in corrupt Illinois.

As several have said here, it isn't the local cops calling you,sometimes it is a telemarketing company that contracts with the police. People used to get calls about once a year from a telemarketer who would say that they were representing local police departments, seeking donations to buy bullet proof vests. The police department that I was working for issued bullet proof vests, and then replaced them every five years. Every local department did that. Often times people would call the PD and want to make a donation directly to the department to help buy vests, because they got the same call. We used to tell them thanks, but the vests were in the budget, and we didn't need donations. It was nothing but a scam. We actually tried to report them to the attorney general's office, but every year, we would get the calls. I guess what I'm saying is don't believe everything someone tells you. Just because they say that they represent the police department, that does not mean that they really do.

Last edited:
In NYC I used to get a lot of scam calls from people claiming to be soliciting donations for the police. I would be very hesitant to make a donation.

Sad to say, but the FOP fundraisers were one of the most persistant, and relentless organizations I've ever dealt with. We do give to charitable organizations, but it's really my call as to when we donate and how much. The Fundraising organization the FOP hired wasn't all enamored of that attitude.

Gary

I've only ever had one experience. It was via phone call, and whoever the person was on the other end was outright rude.

It's not fair to color everyone with that brush, but it certainly did not leave me with a favorable impression.

As several have said here, it isn't the local cops calling you,sometimes it is a telemarketing company that contracts with the police. People used to get calls about once a year from a telemarketer who would say that they were representing local police departments, seeking donations to buy bullet proof vests. The police department that I was working for issued bullet proof vests, and then replaced them every five years. Every local department did that. Often times people would call the PD and want to make a donation directly to the department to help buy vests, because they got the same call. We used to tell them thanks, but the vests were in the budget, and we didn't need donations. It was nothing but a scam. We actually tried to report them to the attorney general's office, but every year, we would get the calls. I guess what I'm saying is don't believe everything someone tells you. Just because they say that they represent the police department, that does not mean that they really do.

+1...that's a good thing to remember.

ditto on aggressive, relentless and rude phone calls from FOP. Not my favorite people.

Yesterday my caller asked if I was Mr. Crute. Upon my "I'm sorry; he's not here at the moment. May I take a message?" the response was "I'm calling on behalf of the National Association of Veterans." Very few people know I have a land line, which is only to avail DSL services, so it's obvious a telemarketer bought a list. The conversation was short.

HR

The NYPD and a few other departments absolutely prohibit this type of solicitation on behalf of the department and the various unions representing service members, and actively confront companies that claim to be representing them. Departments that ban this sort of thing usually refer people who inquire about contributing to department-approved organizations, which do not use telemarketing. (For example, the NYPD will refer you to the NYC Police Foundation if you call and want to make a contribution. But the Foundation won't call you to ask for one.)

One in the plus column for the NYPD.

I love caller ID. I never pick up such calls.

Yesterday my caller asked if I was Mr. Crute. Upon my "I'm sorry; he's not here at the moment. May I take a message?" the response was "I'm calling on behalf of the National Association of Veterans." Very few people know I have a land line, which is only to avail DSL services, so it's obvious a telemarketer bought a list. The conversation was short.

HR

Got the same call the other day.

I usually add a 'do not ever call again, remove this number from your list'

They used to call me allegedly to raise money to buy the cops bulletproof vests. I talked to the cop at the local station and he said they are "legit" but they are hired contractors.

I won't give strictly on the principle that you if attempt to insult my intelligence, you lose. Read that as I'm too dumb to know how to write a check.

Charities are exempt from the Do Not Call list. The law has many wide loopholes.

My new Panasonic phones have built in call blocking. I blocked the two private numbers that call to ask if I have discard donations for the truck that will be in my neighborhood. Ahhhhhh.

I recently realized that from now on any place I deal with short of a hospital emergency room is not going to get "Is there any number we can use to call you?" No. Use email, SMS or smoke signals.

Drift: Our town TWICE used the emergency telephone harassing system to tell us to answer the census. You can't even hang up on it. Maroons.

Calls from police organizations make me nervous, especially when they offer a sticker for your car for a donation. Sure smacks of a protection racket or basis for discrimination. Especially here in corrupt Illinois.
I'm not sure how it is a protection racket. What are they going to do if you don't donate, write you a ticket for not speeding? The Iowa State Police Association used to push those little window stickers. It always seemed to me that people made a $25 "donation", and then thought that they could speed, run red lights, stop signs, and drive drunk with one of those stuck on their window, and the cops would turn the other way. A lot of departments complained to the ISPA about it, and they quit "selling" them. You would go down by the American Legion bar at night, and every car in the parking lot had one.

Last edited:
Usually my first question is .. ... if I give you a dollar .. how much of
it goes to the charity?

If it's less than 99 cents .. my next reply is ... " I'm sorry .. I can't
afford to give you any money right now .. my airplane payment is due."

RT

it goes to the charity?

RT

I used to be on the state steering committee for the Special Olympics torch run. Telemarketing companies were always contacting us to ask if they could use our name to help us raise funds. They generally took a huge percentage of the money that they brought in, but it doesn't cost the organization that they are representing anything but the use of their name. It is pretty tempting when you consider that ten percent of a lot of money is a lot of money. I think that we went with telemarketers a couple of years until we realized what a bad name it was giving us. A lot of people complained. If you don't like getting solicited for donations this way, call the organization that they are claiming to represent. Express your displeasure. Let them know. They will probably find a different way to fund raise if they get enough complaints.

Drift: Our town TWICE used the emergency telephone harassing system to tell us to answer the census. You can't even hang up on it. Maroons.

I have no idea what this is. Something where it calls your cell phone and you can't end the call?

it goes to the charity?

That's one of the points that I make with my non-profit. 100% of donations to Cloud Nine go directly towards operations costs. Subtract a few percent if you donate via PayPal simply for their fees.

I have no idea what this is. Something where it calls your cell phone and you can't end the call?

The "reverse-911" system. The cops have the number for the land line (so far, luckily, only) in every house, even if its unpublished. They can make a recorded message and call every house. I've gotten around 4-5 calls. If you hang up while the message is playing, your phone rings again like a scene out of the Twilight Zone.

I think they ask you to add a cell phone number and accept SMS messages.

What have they called about? The chief heard that the biker gangs were going to fight so he closed the cycle meet tomorrow at the fairgrounds. I think we had a weather alert once. AND the two calls with the panicked message that I MUST answer the census!

I got a call when I lived in another town that there was an armed robbery at the nearby shopping center and the fugitive was loose. That one makes sense. They caught that guy soon after.

I would also register my cell phone here as well: https://www.donotcall.gov/

As far as those faternal order of police solicitations. I never donate to them and I'm a cop. We get calls from them at the station soliciting us. Just and FYI those stickers they offer do not help any. I have written people with them on their vehicles granted they had attitude and thats why they got the cite had nothing to do with the sticker.

Thats not the purpose of the system... And I'm sure if enough people pushed the issue, it could affect local elections next time around.

According to the do not call site FAQ:

Because of limitations in the jurisdiction of the FTC and FCC, calls from or on behalf of political organizations, charities, and telephone surveyors would still be permitted, as would calls from companies with which you have an existing business relationship, or those to whom you’ve provided express agreement in writing to receive their calls. However, if you ask a company with which you have an existing business relationship to place your number on its own do-not-call list, it must honor your request. You should keep a record of the date you make the request.

You still get bugged by some idiots......

So the only recourse against them would be to prove that they weren't legitimate charities. :(

So I got a call from the SC Fraternal Order of Police foundation today, seeking donations. I politely declined, but I have to wonder where they got my cell phone number from. The only thing I can guess is incident reports from either the vandalism to my car or the DUI I witnessed. My big question now is... is that legal? I'd understand reports maybe being public, but not the private information listed within. Does using the police mean I 'opt-in' to phone solicitations from them? :confused:
As someone who once made those calls, I can assure you that they are a normal telemarketing company that buys names to sell to.

The police department has nothing to do with the FOP.

Keep in mind that not all calls from police departments or police unions are scams. We have a state / local police station here in town. We get a call about once a year from the police union seeking a donation. The money is used for local charities or events that the union sponsors. When we first moved into town I though that it was a scam as well. The second time they called I told them I don't do donations over the phone figuring that would get rid of them. They then offered to have one of the police officers stop by during the week and drop off some information about the programs they run and a donation envelope that can either be mailed in or dropped off at the local police station if we do decide to donate. When the officer stopped by during the week I had a chance to ask him some questions. It turns out that this is a program that the local chapter of the police union decided to set up. One hundered percent of the donations went to the designated charities or events. There was no overhead as it was the officers themselves making the calls during their off shift. After being in town for a while we got to see what they did with the money. The have events such as a halloween party for the kids at the police station, run a junior police program, a number of small college scholarships, participation at kids summer camps, etc. Since finding out more and now knowing that it was actually legit I now donate each year when they call. Just wanted to pass this along to let everyone know that not every police union donation request is a scam.

Keith

I really hate those "thin blue line" stickers. The last car I was behind didn't have brake lights. More than a third NEVER use signals changing lanes or turning. And is this supposed to make you think they're privileged?
By the way, I respect police for the job they do. Thank you. But overall, they should be setting an example of "BEST" driving, not squeaking through red lights, crap cars, or adorning their "family" vehicles.

Keep in mind that not all calls from police departments or police unions are scams. We have a state / local police station here in town. We get a call about once a year from the police union seeking a donation. The money is used for local charities or events that the union sponsors. When we first moved into town I though that it was a scam as well. The second time they called I told them I don't do donations over the phone figuring that would get rid of them. They then offered to have one of the police officers stop by during the week and drop off some information about the programs they run and a donation envelope that can either be mailed in or dropped off at the local police station if we do decide to donate. When the officer stopped by during the week I had a chance to ask him some questions. It turns out that this is a program that the local chapter of the police union decided to set up. One hundered percent of the donations went to the designated charities or events. There was no overhead as it was the officers themselves making the calls during their off shift. After being in town for a while we got to see what they did with the money. The have events such as a halloween party for the kids at the police station, run a junior police program, a number of small college scholarships, participation at kids summer camps, etc. Since finding out more and now knowing that it was actually legit I now donate each year when they call. Just wanted to pass this along to let everyone know that not every police union donation request is a scam.

Keith

Was it tax-deductible? I got a solicitation for the same purposes (carnivals, etc.) then noticed in the paperwork (I always ask for the paperwork) that it was NOT a tax-exempt charity. I'm gonna figure most of the overhead was beer and donuts....

We had tornado warning last night, so besides the LOUD, LOUD, LOUD BRARRARRARARARPPP!!! alerts on the cable TV that made the dog jump out of his skin, we got TWO reverse-911 calls right after each other. The first one was the national weather alert. The second said the fire department on caller ID and was a recording of the fire chief - not the police department as in the past.

This means that there are multiple entities that have your phone number and reverse-911.

Nah. I'm not complaining about being warned that a tornado is coming, but if they abuse the system again...

What did I do? This time I didn't go below ground. I looked for a radar image on the TV and eventually went out front to look and listen. My neighbor who has no land line was out there. I gotta ask how he got called.

Comcast had the alert on the Weather Channel loop with a radar diagram that was too far south to show more than the edge of the real problem.

Last edited:
We had tornado warning last night, so besides the LOUD, LOUD, LOUD BRARRARRARARARPPP!!! alerts on the cable TV that made the dog jump out of his skin, we got TWO reverse-911 calls right after each other. The first one was the national weather alter. The second said the fire department and was recording of the fire chief - not the police department as in the past.

This means that there are multiple entities that have your phone number and reverse-911.

Nah. I'm not complaining about being warned that a tornado is coming, but if they abuse the system again...

What did I do? This time I didn't go below ground. I looked for a radar image on the TV and eventually went out front to look and listen. My neighbor who has no land line was out there. I gotta ask how he got called.

Comcast had the alert on the Weather Channel loop with a radar diagram that was too far south to show more than the edge of the real problem.
The rotation of really red returns went right over the top of 10C, where I keep my airplane parked, I was worried all night. Luckily no damage. Our community does not do the reverse 911 calls, but our SAME WX radio is set to go off and tell us to take cover. It was really weird storm last night. All kinds of severe WX alerts and heavy lightening, rain, winds, 3 miles away. By us, nothing.

We had tornado warning last night, so besides the LOUD, LOUD, LOUD BRARRARRARARARPPP!!! alerts on the cable TV that made the dog jump out of his skin, we got TWO reverse-911 calls right after each other. The first one was the national weather alter. The second said the fire department and was recording of the fire chief - not the police department as in the past.

Thank God they haven't figured out a way to remotely plug the phone back in after I unplug it.

-Rich

Thank God they haven't figured out a way to remotely plug the phone back in after I unplug it.

-Rich

That's coming. They'll outlaw unplugging stuff especially when your DVD player or TV give you the Red circle/line that you're not allowed to skip over the previews and commercials.

I have a MagicJack number that I use specifically as a phone number to give to entities who demand one, but from whom I never want to receive a call. Costs about twenty bucks a year, and I never answer it.

-Rich

They called back this morning and tried to be sneaky by asking for the "lady of the house" before telling me who they were. He ran through a spiel about how we should be grateful we have a police department ("Isn't it nice to know that they're there for you?") before I was able to get through to the guy to take me off whatever list he has me on and hung up on him.

I still wish I knew where they got my number from. Gonna have to start telling everyone my google voice number...

They called back this morning and tried to be sneaky by asking for the "lady of the house" before telling me who they were. He ran through a spiel about how we should be grateful we have a police department ("Isn't it nice to know that they're there for you?") before I was able to get through to the guy to take me off whatever list he has me on and hung up on him.

I still wish I knew where they got my number from. Gonna have to start telling everyone my google voice number...
My reply is usually something along the lines of "Isn't it nice I pay taxes for their salary and benefits?"

They called back this morning and tried to be sneaky by asking for the "lady of the house" before telling me who they were.

Next time say 'Oh, but I am the lady of the house. I'm just wearing a filmy negligee right now. What are you wearing big boy?' in a soft, husky, masculine voice. See what happens....

Next time say 'Oh, but I am the lady of the house. I'm just wearing a filmy negligee right now. What are you wearing big boy?' in a soft, husky, masculine voice. See what happens....

Did I mention I'm at work? I know you can get away with wearing that kinda stuff since you stay at home all day, but I can't say that when my entire office can hear everything. :p

Did I mention I'm at work? I know you can get away with wearing that kinda stuff since you stay at home all day, but I can't say that when my entire office can hear everything. :p

I um, er, uh, I don't do that.....:blush:

:D

Why don't you call the police department and ask them what is going on? This all sounds kind of fishy. I wonder if the police department even knows.

Back