Sukhoi 29 ride!

Jeanie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jeanie
A fellow named Jeffery Poehlmann from Austin, TX (Pres. of their IAC Chapter) will be coming out to Alpine and he's going to put his plane in my hangar... I AM GOING TO GET TO FLY THE PLANE!!!! Whoo-hoo. It'll probably shake my brains totally loose. Hey, that's OK.:goofy:

Anyway, as you can tell I'm looking forward to it. Also, he's going to fly w/ me in the SD and "show you a few things".

Rosy's engine is broken in now which means that I can start practicing some easy aerobatics in her. :D

NIIIIICCCEEE!!!!!

Jeanie: That sounds like you have a really fun day coming up!

Try not to scream any obscenities on your first flight in the Super D after flying the Sukhoi. :D

Eric

Try not to scream any obscenities on your first flight in the Super D after flying the Sukhoi. :D

Eric

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I would never do that. I love my Super D - Heck I've just landed her solo for the 7th time ever today. It was 14G19 and 60* left.... fun, huh?

Anyway, I know that the Sukhoi will be a good ride and I'll learn a lot but I'm very realistic about my level of ability and my budget as well.... So, Rosy is my very sweet SD.

Funny - the N number is 102 GD - it's my GD plane - I had a little hard time w/ that but re-arranged it to mean Great Decathlon, Grand Dame, Getting Down.... whatever, right?, you get it... so now the GD is OK.

A fellow named Jeffery Poehlmann from Austin, TX (Pres. of their IAC Chapter) will be coming out to Alpine and he's going to put his plane in my hangar... I AM GOING TO GET TO FLY THE PLANE!!!! Whoo-hoo. It'll probably shake my brains totally loose. Hey, that's OK.:goofy:

A little tip for you.

When you take the controls of this beast for the first time, the first thing you'll notice is that it's EXTREMELY sensitive compared to the Decathlon.
You point it where you want it to go and it will go there...NOW! :)
If you totally relax your arm and hand and fly it with your fingers only you'll do fine.
Just remember...........fingers and toes :)))

Have fun, and good luck!
Dudley Henriques

A little tip for you.

When you take the controls of this beast for the first time, the first thing you'll notice is that it's EXTREMELY sensitive compared to the Decathlon.
You point it where you want it to go and it will go there...NOW! :)
If you totally relax your arm and hand and fly it with your fingers only you'll do fine.
Just remember...........fingers and toes :)))

Have fun, and good luck!
Dudley Henriques
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks, Dudley, for the tip. I had imagined that it would be "think left, go left". I will try to be very subtle and careful.
Should be next week around Thursday or Friday - I'll definately post the ride here.

Did you know you can climb to 50,000ft in the vertical? Just straight up! You'll love it. DOn't forget to try the Cobra, let us know how that works.

Oh wait. You mean the 29, with the spinny thing out front. Not the 27.

Disregard. Enjoy the flight.

:D:D:D

Well, I have now flown in the Sukhoi twice. Turns out the owner was a National Acro Champion a few years ago in a Pitts and is an IAC judge - Jeffery Poehlmann.
The first ride was mostly me as passenger. We did torque rolls up, backwards and with a wheels up whip stall recovery, snap rolls, hesitation rolls on an upline, tail slide w/ the same kind of inverted whip stall recovery, hammerheads, loops, spins, 1/2 cuban eight, and barrel rolls too. The whip stall recoverys were a little disorienting to say the least. I only flew it to and from the practice area and basicly held on during the maneuvers :eek:..... That was the first day -

then YESTERDAY I got to fly it nearly immediately after takeoff and I practiced Immelmans, 1/2 cubans, loops and one turn spins. I kept rolling at the top a little early and using too much rudder.... and on the spins I kept recovering too soon - he figures it's because I'm used to the SD and it doesn't respond to the inputs near as "crisply" ... When he got bored w/ my futzing around and trying to get the basic maneuvers right he said, "Hey, wanna do a torque roll?" and then "how about I show you a rolling turn". The whip stall recoveries weren't quite so weird as I knew what to expect and could anticipate the movements. We were also going to do a Lomcovak but the cloudage and timing wasn't gonna work and also, I think he was waiting to see what my tolerance to the other kinds of "violent" maneuvers is. Today we might get to do a Lomcovak - at the end of the practice time though in case it does affect me badly. But so far I'm hanging in there with it. We pulled +6Gs and -2Gs. That's not much for a practiced flyer but since I haven't flown acro since January and never pulled 6 Gs before it seemed like plenty to me ................:wink2: when you dive for speed before an Immelman in the Sukhoi you dive to 270 as compared to 145 in the SD - Whooo-hooo.
Also, we're going up in the SD - As he said, I love flying these little planes as he patted on her and grinned and then he looked over at me like OOOPS, I may have just insulted her but ya'know he's right - compared to the higher level acro stuff he's used to it's a baby plane. He's going to show me some things he wants me to be aware of before I start practicing alone. It's good to have an expert mentor who is great fun to spend time with too. His stories of practicing w/ Russians are very funny. At one time Svetlana (last name unspellable at this time) the woman Russiona champion told Jeff, "you should get rid of toy plane and get real plane" - The Russians think of Pitts planes as toys.....
I"m going to write all this down in my log book and get him to sign it :D

If we get to do the Lomcovak I'll let you know............

Well, we got to fly both the decathlon and the Suk today. Got some good lessons on knife edge, competition turns, slow rolls, loops, 1/2cubans and 1 turn spins in the SD. loops weren't great - I kept messing up at the top, dropping a wing and boogering the rudder - I think I was dropping a wing because I was pulling w/ both hands and I'm left handed so I wasn't pulling straight and we were loosing a lot of speed at the top - A couple of times Jeff took it and kept us from falling into an inverted spin- Problem is that today the density altitude up where we were flying 8,000 indicated was about 11500-12K - thin air... Just not as much power as the Sukhoi :)
I learned a lot!
Then we flew the Suk and my immelmanns and spins were better than yesterday. Also did a couple of 1/2 cubans. Jeff showed me inverted turns which, frankly, I didn't much like due to hanging out upside down for so long and it's hard to wrap your mind around how it works. I'm going to work with a model airplane to be able to see how it goes. And, then we did a lomcovak! He started it from inverted with an inverted inside snap to start it - we only tumbled twice and it degraded to an inverted spin which he fixed and that was it. +7 Gs and -5
It was very cool indeed! I had a ball and now he's gone on home and the hangar looks terribly forlorn and empty w/ Boychick (the suk) gone. I'll put Rosy the SD in and it'll be OK.
So, tomorrow back to studying for a written FAA exam .... Maybe fly in the morning when it's cool and not such high DA and then study in the afternoon when it's warmer... Yeah, that's a plan.
Kevin took pictures today - If I can figure out how to post a couple I will.

Back