This weekend

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
I flew over to a local aprt for antique aircraft display day and had lunch with Bob Dentice and his cohorts.

I met a women who at 83 just soloed last week. She's as excited as all get out.

Bob told me of how his mother got her Comm ME at age 91. She bought a Navion (which model?) and had to make a emergency landing. She bellied into March AFB where they wanted to scrap the aircraft off the rwy but she sat on the wing and stared down the AF personal and made them lift her bird to mx. Can you picture that?

Lee told me of how he got his PPL from Roscoe Turner.

I think it was Al, the retired UAL capt, who said he bought his first Bo from Roscoe Turner.

What a great bunch I am meeting through Bob. I figure out of the crowd at that restaurant table there had to be 400 years of aeronautical experience among them.

After lunch we watched a beautiful P-51 make a low pass at 190 kts.

Yesterday Bob and I flew my cream puff to a pvt strip east of everywhere to look at a plane I want my brother to buy. That was a lot of fun meeting some very nice aviator folks living the dream in a great area. I got to see a Tiger Moth up close and personal.

Tomorrow is antique display day at my aprt with BBQ on the grass.

Last year, I met an old timer who was brought up to a gathering by another pilot. I don't remember much about him other than he retired that day as a customer service rep at a car rental at PDK, Hertz, I believe. He had been a pilot until a decade or so earlier. I came in late with not much time before he had to leave. But, you jar my memory, Richard. I recall them talking about him receiving his training from Roscoe Turner. I wish I had heard more.

Someone had told me about a group of pilots from the Korean and Vietnam wars with some shows by a few from the second war to end all wars. They told me the area of the restaurant and they met on the second Tuesday of the month. I never figured out exactly where. If I ever find out, that will be a time to remain attentive and learn some firsthand history and great storytelling. Upon leaving, I'd be a fool to not shake their hand and say, "Thank you."

Richard, I'm envious of your experience.

any body here from the good days

Like,,,,,,,, when were the good old days?

no TFR's no flight plans, no radar FF, no radios, single pilot comm ops with out a 135 certificate.

good old days weren't that long ago.

Back