A Father's Day Surprise ( A shock, really)

Keith Lane

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Keith Lane
This is kinda long sorry.
Where to start........
I wasn't going to be able to see my dad on Father's day so I took Friday off and drove down to see him and do whatever house/yard stuff I could help with. After we get done with the hard stuff, we were sitting on the carport having some water when he asks me about light sport flying. I'm not too familiar with it but I told what I thought I knew.

A little back ground needed here. My Dad was born in Macon, Ga in 1926 and still lives in Macon. Raised in a middle class home and always, since he was 10 or so has worked at some sort of job. He will be 84 in September, and still works part time for Georgia Power as an inspector, a job that involves driving as much as 400 miles in a day all over south Georgia inspecting the work of contractors for the power company. He is in pretty good shape for his age, with the usual old age stuff to go along with it. When he was about 14 or 15, he got interested in planes. At 15 he, unlike most adults he knew, and unknown to his folks, owned and drove a car. He earned about $10/week, more than most grown up at the time. He and a friend got to know a guy at the local airport and wanted to learn to fly the J-3 Cub at the field. So,in exchange for lessons, they kept the grass at the field cut. As far as I know he never soloed, but according to him, flying the plane came easily to him. He joined the Navy in 1943 and of course went "brown shoe" Navy (Aviation). Trained as a radioman/gunner, he never left the CONUS, but was assigned to a test squadron at Patuxent river Maryland with the job of keeping the Lockheed PV-2 flying as close to 24/7 as possible to ascertain the failure rate of components so the Navy could keep on hand appropriate spares for the fleet aircraft. What they ended up as, in reality was a taxi service for officers on the East coast who needed to go wherever to meetings and such. In that capacity he got quite a bit of right seat time, as the left seat guy was an Eastern Airlines pilot in civilian life and was marking time till the end of WW II so he could go back to flying "little 'ol rich ladies and gents around". Dad spent so much time in the air, after the war he didn't care about flying anymore. As a kid, I heard about all this and I got interested in flying. We kinda own the 172 "together" in spirit, and he seems happy to say it's really all mine.

Back to the present. He asked me if I thought he could fly a J-3. I said yes, I thought he probably could, with enough instruction. Then he hits me with "I'd like to buy a J-3 and get a light sport license". I thought I'd fall out of my chair. I'm pretty gabby, but I was so stunned, I literally could not form words for 15 seconds or so. He has said many many times he would have loved to have gotten a Cub when we bought the 172, but he now sounds serious enough to do this. We even looked at planes online just to see what they cost (roughly). Looks like from an hour online you can spend from 30K to the stratosphere on a J-3. I think he'd spend 30K on a simple one (handheld radio and such) in a heartbeat. All he wants to do is poke around the countryside at 65 miles per hour with the door open looking at the cows and such.
I think he could fly it. (If he could start it) I think he'd have trouble with the regulations for a while. I'm concerned that his feet might not be quick enough for gusty crosswind landings, and I think he'd only fly it in the mornings when it was cooler and calmer. My advice is that we look for an instructor who already has and teaches in a J-3 or similar, and let him try it out and see if it is what he remembers it to be. Also, I think I'd end up being the primary pilot, letting him fly from the front seat as much as he wanted. I myself have never landed or even taxied a taildragger, but I'm sure I coul do it after instruction. I have a friend in Alabama with a PA-11 who has been bugging me to come see him and fly his, and now may be the time to go get Dad and let him try his hands and feet at this. Who knows. He definitely has the money, and it sounds like he has the motivation. Who knows. The one bugaboo..... He has not told my Mom.

70 years is a long time to live with the dream. I'd encourage him and pave the way to make it happen.

Why not?? My attitude has always been to give it a try, and it will either work out, or it won't. What is he going to lose, a little money? That stuff is over rated anyway.

i just want to know how far along he'll get in training before he tells your mom. :D

The tailwheel is a good item to have on your to-do list. I just completed the tailwheel endorsement in a Citabria in a little over 5 hrs, and I typically fly a 172 as well. While 5+ hrs gave me enough to complete the flights on my own and complete the endorsement requirements, it's probably not enough for insurance on most planes. Very cool that your Dad still wants to follow the dream. Good bonding experience, have fun!

Keith: Some of my fondest memories of being with my Dad were a few trips he took with me in my plane before he passed. He had wanted to fly in WWII and passed all the tests to get into Army flight school, but was taken out just before shipping out because he was 1/4 inch too short (according to him). He loved flying with me on a few trips were were able to work out. After the last one, he asked about getting his license--lost him a few months later.

Hope you do it and fly with him. If nothing else, get him some right seat time with you.

Best,

Dave

Talk about an awesome story. At this point your most important job is to keep encouraging him.

Good luck to him! I think he'd probably do fine with a Cub. My "tailwheel guru" is about the same age, and he will probably keep flying (on the Sport ticket) as long as he can still get up and drive to the airport.
:D

i just want to know how far along he'll get in training before he tells your mom. :D

... At 15 he, unlike most adults he knew, and unknown to his folks, owned and drove a car....

The one bugaboo..... He has not told my Mom.

Sounds like he set a precedence when he was 15 regarding "sharing info" :)

If he wants a Cub, help him find one soon! Cubs are LOADS of fun, even for guys that do everything else. If you look around long enough, some of the guys that have P-51s and more still have that Cub somewhere near the front of the hangar where they can drag it out...

IMG_9859.JPG

IMG_9851.JPG

I took those pictures Saturday while flying with a student in the local Cub.

Ryan

Mounting up a J-3 can be a bit of a chore. If a door proves more practical, don't hesitate to look at a Champ. Lots of the old airplanes have engines with starters.

Do it!! Just the fun and thrill of finally getting to fly could increase his lifespan by years! We all have to have a reason to get up in the morning.
Give him one!!

Besides, 85 years is waaay too long to live with an unfulfilled dream.

Mounting up a J-3 can be a bit of a chore. If a door proves more practical, don't hesitate to look at a Champ. Lots of the old airplanes have engines with starters.

As much as I love cubs, and I do love them, I would probably be looking at champ or better yet a chief. Cubs sell for a premium and they may be a bit difficult getting in and out and of course they need to be propped. The Chief is side by side and might be a better choice in the long run if he ever wants mom to fly with him. She will probably be more comfortable sitting beside her hero rather than in front of or behind. Just a thought, it is an awesome story.

As much as I love cubs, and I do love them, I would probably be looking at champ or better yet a chief. Cubs sell for a premium and they may be a bit difficult getting in and out and of course they need to be propped. The Chief is side by side and might be a better choice in the long run if he ever wants mom to fly with him. She will probably be more comfortable sitting beside her hero rather than in front of or behind. Just a thought, it is an awesome story.

Having worked in the consulting industry all my life I've been taught to never use superlative descriptors like "best" or "worst" as in "solution", and never use "always" or "never". But, in this case, I can say with certain clarity, that under the best, worst or any circumstance, she will never, ever get into a small plane with either him or anyone else, me included at the controls. She will always stick to this and never yield.

Keith, Go for it. Dreams are a great thing to follow.

Does it have to be a J3 though? A PA-11 or Champ might be a better choice from either an access or $ standpoint.

You may have to buy an older car to help support the dream.

Keith, Go for it. Dreams are a great thing to follow.

Does it have to be a J3 though? A PA-11 or Champ might be a better choice from either an access or $ standpoint.

You may have to buy an older car to help support the dream.
If you are willing to look beyond a J-3 there are a lot of options at lower prices - those above, or Chief/ Taylorcraft / Luscombe if you like side by side.

If you are willing to look outside the factory built circle there are even more options.

A lot of the J-3 clones tend to have pretty high asking prices, but the Preceptor Ultra Pup (downsized J3 lookalike) seems to be a bit more reasonable (but much less common). Dunno what it is like to get in and out of...

Avid and Kitfox would be options - but finding one with a 4-stroke engine may take some time (friends don't let friends fly behind 2-strokes). Getting in and out can require some degree of agility :sad:. Careful planning and proper stick placement are needed to get the inboard foot past the stick. For a less agile person, getting in first and scooting one's behind beyond the centerline might make it much easier.

I ended up with a Merlin GT - also side by side. A bit easier to get in and out of. And, yes, I have a 4-stroke engine :cool2:.

Look, guys, he's wanted a J-3 for 70 years. He compromised on a 172 once and that didn't satisfy the urge. I say, if he can climb into and out of the J-3 and can make the payments it's not too late. What's he saving money for now, anyway?

My Dad quit flying in 1977 because he had high blood pressure and refused to take medication. I used to take him along to fly-ins and such, and he always so enthusiastic about airplanes and flying. I always wished he would get back into flying. He never did take medication and died of a stroke in 1998.
I say, like the others, help your dad get back to flying, whatever airplane you end up with. If he's in reasonably good health, the sport license is fine, and he'll be happier and live longer.

Awesome story, Keith. I hope you guys can make it happen!

Tony, you must know my mom too. I didn't tell her until I had done my first solo. :tongue:

Do it!! Just the fun and thrill of finally getting to fly could increase his lifespan by years! We all have to have a reason to get up in the morning.
Give him one!!

Besides, 85 years is waaay too long to live with an unfulfilled dream.

It gets me up each morning, I have to stay in good health so I can continue to fly around at 75.

Back