Reid Stowe returns after 3 years sailing nonstop!

rottydaddy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
beaky
I was on hand for some history today... The schooner Anne and her indefatigable captain returned to NYC after more than 1100 days nonstop, un-resupplied. He's been going it alone for two of those three years, after his girlfriend had to disembark off Australia due to persistent nausea. Turned out she was pregnant, so in addition to seeing her and many family members today, he got his first glimpse of his son, Darshen, who was born while he was out sea. Needless to say, he was overcome with emotion, for many reasons. But he spoke clearly and strongly about what his voyage meant to him and the world of seafaring in general, and had many "thank-yous" to make.

Over two years sailing a 60-ton schooner single-handed, with no self-steering rig and a damaged bowsprit! I'm no sailor, but I know that's no mean feat, even if one is only going for endurance.

Reid is a remarkable sailor and a remarkable person in general... I'm very happy for him, and hope to congratulate him myself at the welcome-home party this Sunday.

Got a few decent pics, even though I could not get very close (press/family/friends event).

Learn more here...

http://1000days.net/home/

Attachments

• rot0617100101.JPG
    rot0617100101.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 45
  • rot06171001014.JPG
    rot06171001014.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 46
  • rot0617100201.JPG
    rot0617100201.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 55
  • rot06171002012.JPG
    rot06171002012.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 58
i wonder when his reality TV show starts :)

pretty amazing trip.

i wonder when his reality TV show starts :)

pretty amazing trip.
I'll tell ya, if they had the budget, the whole thing would have been televised. He spent many years trying to raise money and interest in this voyage; did OK but there could have been so much more backing.

At least he has the last laugh on Bob Ballard, who said, when he first heard about the 1000-day voyage, that it was "impossible". Man, that must feel good. :D

He was uploading video and stuff via satellite for a while, but his laptop died a while back and he was reduced to terse sat-phone messages.

Not sure if he shot much other video or took many photos, but he did say today that he'd been writing a lot- I can see a book coming out of this.

He's also been making artworks throughout the voyage- I'm sure that stuff is very valuable now.

But other than being able to live his chosen lifestyle and finance his mad expeditions, he's not in it for the money... mere wealth alone is probably not enough to induce someone to do what he did.

whoa whoa whoa hold the presses. you mean people would want to do crazy adventuresome things like sail for 1000 days or perhaps go around the world just because they want to???

After seeing how much the USA has changed in the last 1000 days he may want to go back out soon.....I would. But I don't know how to sail, either. :D

Solo on a gaff rigged schooner on such an extended voyage is worthy as the century's top accomplishment. The guy wasn't much on staying ship shape but one cannot argue with success. Look at the evidence of the many repairs he has made.

Truly, he is a man among men. I wonder how much to get him to put that sprit through the hulls of the current crop of America Cup contenders?

At least he has the last laugh on Bob Ballard, who said, when he first heard about the 1000-day voyage, that it was "impossible". Man, that must feel good. :D
Esp. because Bob Ballard is NOT a seaman. He's an explorer. There's a difference when you have 8,000 hp available, a crew....etc. etc..etc.

Solo on a gaff rigged schooner on such an extended voyage is worthy as the century's top accomplishment. The guy wasn't much on staying ship shape but one cannot argue with success. Look at the evidence of the many repairs he has made.
He had said more than once in the last year or so that there was just no way for one man to keep up with all the maintenance and repairs and still get the necessary chores done... must have been overwhelming at times, re-prioritizing things.

Truly, he is a man among men. I wonder how much to get him to put that sprit through the hulls of the current crop of America Cup contenders?
I'm sure he's inspired a few of them, as have other endurance sailors in the past.

Reminds me of something he said today, regarding others studying what he did during this voyage- something about how the USN ought to consider sending trainees on similar sailing voyages, in order to make them happier and more useful later, on long missions.
I believe that sailing-ship training for navy crews was very common at one time, even after such vessels were outmoded... makes sense, despite the obvious need to also train for specific equipment and procedures.
Part of the purpose of this voyage was to share data with NASA researchers planning manned missions to Mars... again, the analogy is imperfect, but the essence of it is the same.

Wonder what on earth he managed to pack for food for that long of a voyage that wouldn't go bad etc etc.

Wonder what on earth he managed to pack for food for that long of a voyage that wouldn't go bad etc etc.
Rice, legumes, sashimi ovah da rail...ono!

Maybe having a bit of citrus trees on board. Anyone for Breadfruit?

VN era C-rats?

Rice, legumes, sashimi ovah da rail...ono!
That's about right... once Soanya left, he had more rations than he needed. This is a big boat, and they packed every nook and cranny with provisions. But he also grew his own sprouts, etc on board, and did quite a bit of fishing (including the easy kind- gathering fish that had leaped over the rail).
He had lots of dried and canned fruit, also... between that and the fresh veggies, he got enough vitamins to avoid scurvy, etc... although he did have supplements on board (which he never used, AFAIK, preferring to save them for if and when he might really need them). One of his sponsors was a cheese company, so he also had a lot of Romano, which keeps pretty well, to nibble.
Another comment he made when he came ashore:"I ate very well on this voyage!"

wait, they could plan for a 1000 day non-stop voyage, but they didn't know about birth control? :rolleyes:

wait, they could plan for a 1000 day non-stop voyage, but they didn't know about birth control? :rolleyes:
I have no information on the details, but all forms of birth control are not 100% effective...

It does seem odd, though- if the plan was to keep her aboard the whole time, you'd think they'd use every possible precaution. Simultaneously. :D

Or just avoid that specific, um, activity. There are plenty of other things two consenting adults can do... :D

That's about right... once Soanya left, he had more rations than he needed. This is a big boat, and they packed every nook and cranny with provisions. But he also grew his own sprouts, etc on board, and did quite a bit of fishing (including the easy kind- gathering fish that had leaped over the rail).
He had lots of dried and canned fruit, also... between that and the fresh veggies, he got enough vitamins to avoid scurvy, etc... although he did have supplements on board (which he never used, AFAIK, preferring to save them for if and when he might really need them). One of his sponsors was a cheese company, so he also had a lot of Romano, which keeps pretty well, to nibble.
Another comment he made when he came ashore:"I ate very well on this voyage!"

Mmmmmmm. Romanooooo...

Based on Henning's comments about a single-sailor vessel being a hazard when nobody's on watch, I would expect all the folks who bashed the young lady's RTW attempt to chime in here to bash this guy even harder.

Based on Henning's comments about a single-sailor vessel being a hazard when nobody's on watch, I would expect all the folks who bashed the young lady's RTW attempt to chime in here to bash this guy even harder.
He has his share of detractors elsewhere, for sure. :D

There was one collision on the voyage- while he was on watch, oddly enough. He was in the pilothouse at night, and happened to not be looking where there was a freighter, running dark, on autopilot, and with nobody on watch.Go figure.
During his solo time on the voyage, he went months at a time without seeing another vessel.

Last edited:
Say again what he was trying to prove?

The subject of "Solo sailing for a longer period than one could stand a watch" has been strangely quiet in this thread. OTOH, the opinions have been already said by both sides; no real need to repeat them.

Last edited:

Canned anything, eggs smeared in Vaseline, dry grain/wheat, dried meat... He can also grow sprouts and raise rabbits. Long term food isn't really that big of a problem. What you need to keep working though is your water maker/desalinization plant.

He's just another nut job. I hope he publishes his writings without a major "clean up". It's always interesting to read and talk to people going insane and losing the plot, and I guarantee he lost the plot along the way.

I wouldn't expect any experienced sailor to take my opinion seriously, but I think Charles Doane carries more than a little clout in the sailing community, and his open-minded but professional assessment might make interesting reading for those who would dismiss Stowe as a mere crackpot:

http://www.boats.com/boat-content/2010/06/comprehending-reid-stowe-his-various-purposes/

If that is not sufficient to change anyone's mind, all I can do is shrug and point out that many people think anyone who "goes out in those little boats" must be crazy, especially those who seek to break records or those who seem to go to sea for its own sake... maybe it's just a matter of perspective.

I wouldn't expect any experienced sailor to take my opinion seriously, but I think Charles Doane carries more than a little clout in the sailing community, and his open-minded but professional assessment might make interesting reading for those who would dismiss Stowe as a mere crackpot:

http://www.boats.com/boat-content/2010/06/comprehending-reid-stowe-his-various-purposes/

If that is not sufficient to change anyone's mind, all I can do is shrug and point out that many people think anyone who "goes out in those little boats" must be crazy, especially those who seek to break records or those who seem to go to sea for its own sake... maybe it's just a matter of perspective.

Change my mind about what? BTW, I didn't say he was a crackpot, I said he was a "nut job", there is a difference. But then, I don't hold being a nut job against anyone really. Regardless who does it, voyaging solo beyond ones "no sleep" endurance is illegal, there's just nothing you can say to argue that, and the law is there because it is IRRESPONSIBLE TO OTHERS.

I do like reading solo sailors journals, I've read in more than a few, and personally known more than a few, I lived in the middle of all that, met the old man with Jester in Key West way back, he was another Nut Job. Webb Chiles, hell, that's a good read, Around the World Alone, you can really feel the insanity developing and setting in. The boat had a damn crack in it and he keeps on heading around Cape Horn bailing nearly constantly for weeks with a 5 gallon bucket. That's F-ing Nuts!!! No 2 ways about it. When you are so determined to reach an esoteric goal that you will do that rather than repair, you are F-ing Nutz. Most people plying the world on small sailboats are nuts to some degree. For 7 years I lived it, I just call what I see. What does that say about me? Draw your own conclusions, don't be shy, you won't be the first to call me f-ing nutz either.

BTW, "Clout & Respect within the sailing community", exactly how does referring to the "sailing community" become anything more than a standard of "kook"? It's like saying, "He's a kook among kooks, a real kook's kook..."

Are there always going to be people out there doing this? Yes, and they'll always be f-ing nuts. I just don't like seeing it be dishonestly romanticized. Let's at least be honest and show this for what it is. This is stuff to let you realize how nutz people can be, and be thankful that you're not quite that nutz. Now I think this guy was doing something beneficial in that he was collecting data (most likely the going insane part as extended solitude WILL drive everyone insane, we just aren't built for it. We are social beings.) for NASA for the Mars missions.

That all regardless, at the end of the day, he's still nutz and solo sailing for 1000 days is still illegal.

Last edited:
I said he was a "nut job", there is a difference.
I get the distinction; glad to hear that you do... and I wasn't specifically referring to your viewpoint alone. Some have been even less kind, like the Sailing Anarchy folks. Ironic that "Sailing Anarchy" would so viciously attack the most anarchic sailor out there, but there you have it. I guess it's just a form of snobbery (not unheard of in the sailing world).

But then, I don't hold being a nut job against anyone really.
Me, neither, especially if they can back up their "mania" with (mostly) sound technical capability: Chichester, Lindbergh, Merrill, etc... guys like this are worthy of respect, and they wouldn't do what they do if they were not... different. :D It's like I tell people about Stowe: "He's crazy, all right, but in a very good way." :D

Now I think this guy was doing something beneficial in that he was collecting data (most likely the going insane part as extended solitude WILL drive everyone insane, we just aren't built for it. We are social beings.) for NASA for the Mars missions.
He has definitely provided data that is interesting to some involved in such research, but it's important to remember that he didn't go crazy on this or any other voyage- he's always been this way. :D

and solo sailing for 1000 days is still illegal.
Point well taken, although it is ironic that the only time he touched another vessel was when he was on watch and the other vessel had no lights on or anyone on watch! I believe he also did have a transponder, and was using lights at night.... not 100% sure of that, though.

If I get a chance to speak with him at the party, I will ask him what his stance is regarding the ethics of such sailing... very curious as to what he'd have to say about that, but I think his reply will probably go beyond "I can go navel-gazing on the high seas anywhere I want; screw the law!"
Or maybe not... we'll see. :D

His anti-mainstream "vision" is very personal and intense, but I've met him before, sailed on the Anne on a day cruise on the river, and know people close to him, and he seems like a very bright guy who realizes that some pragmatism is necessary when sailing.
Some of his decisions- like abandoning his notion of circumnavigating the globe 3 times on the voyage because he knew he could not do it safely alone with what he had- show that pretty clearly.

Last edited:
For reading of a real sojourn, pick up any of Tristan Jones's books. Especially his book sailing his 17' Sea Dart on the Dead Sea and then over and up to Lake Titicaca and down into the Matta Grosso (headwaters of the Amazon River). Jones was no slouch, he was an officer in the Royal Navy and had more blue water experience in small boats than just about anyone.

Often, the estoteric goal is an inward test of oneself with nothing to prove to others. Making landfall as scheduled after a hellish long crossing is sorta like busting out of mins in a turbulent sky to see you nailed the ILS except much more satisfying. To hell with the others.

Perish the thought! Especially the ham and lima beans!
My dad would bring ample supplies home after his various tours. Us kids would march out into the woods or the jungle (depending upon where we lived) for weeks at a time. Aint no hungry like being hungry enough to heartedly consume those rations. Still, it wasn't too long into a recon that eating those became a test of manhood.

Tim, do you mean Abby Sunderland? She deserved to be bashed. Her experience is a far cry from Stowe's. As for not standing watch, I will definately say that coastal cruising (<200 nm off the beach) is usually more dangerous than true offshore sailing. Yes, the mariner's equivalent of the "Big Sky" theory comes into play.

I would like to hear what Henning has to say about sanctioned events like the solo TransPac. Being solo but in a fleet doesn't count for much. Radio nets are only as good as the transmissions, both in content and in timeliness. Quite simply, there is no adequate substitute for a standing watch.

Tim, do you mean Abby Sunderland? She deserved to be bashed. Her experience is a far cry from Stowe's. As for not standing watch, I will definately say that coastal cruising (<200 nm off the beach) is usually more dangerous than true offshore sailing. Yes, the mariner's equivalent of the "Big Sky" theory comes into play.

I would like to hear what Henning has to say about sanctioned events like the solo TransPac. Being solo but in a fleet doesn't count for much. Radio nets are only as good as the transmissions, both in content and in timeliness. Quite simply, there is no adequate substitute for a standing watch.

As I mentioned in another post on this somewhere here, in the first BOC Challenge, the first of the big single handed round the world races, one of the front runners lost his keel in the Southern Ocean, he was making radio mayday calls for a while, but everyone was asleep and sailed right past him. He died. Another guy slept through his alarm clock and ended up on the rocks on the coast of Australia. Sailing in a group provides only a small margin of safety to yourself and none from yourself, in fact, it makes it more likely you'll hurt someone.

It was posted in another thread that these long, single-handed oceanic voyages were essentially illegal due to inadequate watch; a regulation was posted.

Why are these races, which are single handed, still run?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-Handed_Trans-Atlantic_Race
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Route_du_Rhum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vend%C3%A9e_Globe

Because the flag states have their hands full regulating and enforcing the rules on commercial traffic, and IMO relies on flag states for enforcement of the rules as they have no ability or authority to enforce them on their own.. Most of the flag states can't be bothered enforcing the rules on small boats preemptively. Get into an accident that gets someone killed though through your actions or inactions, and you find yourself facing automatic manslaughter charges. It's no longer "just an accident" when you are breaking the law, it becomes a crime. Several states in the US have murder statutes that could even potentially apply if a prosecutor was politically motivated enough to stretch them there. Many governments will give you plenty of rope with which to hang yourself. There are also flag states that have bans on vessels flying their flag competing in such events, so participants don't flag their boats in those countries.

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain that Henning knows Admiralty law better than I however it seems he suggests the only reason those solo races are allowed to continue is because of lax enforcement. To that I would heartedly disagree.

This poses an interesting question which I will seek to reseach.

As a sidebar, consider Capt Tristan Jones and his solo exploits. Surely he would know the pertient laws. However, given his personalility I don't doubt this former Royal Navy officer was simply giving the finger to authority on his every endeavor.

As I mentioned in another post on this somewhere here, in the first BOC Challenge, the first of the big single handed round the world races, one of the front runners lost his keel in the Southern Ocean, he was making radio mayday calls for a while, but everyone was asleep and sailed right past him. He died. Another guy slept through his alarm clock and ended up on the rocks on the coast of Australia. Sailing in a group provides only a small margin of safety to yourself and none from yourself, in fact, it makes it more likely you'll hurt someone.
But what does that have to do with the question at hand?

In a personal experience I was shot at by a Japanese longliner (.50 cal and 4" deck gun) when less than 700 nm NE of Honolulu and USCG replied they would not respond. I was on a U.S. Federally documented vessel. Again, what does that have to do with the question at hand? The only reason I provide my experience is to provide counterpoint to your above quote.

Neither addresses the question of if law enforced or not would effect increased safety.

I'm fairly certain that Henning knows Admiralty law better than I however it seems he suggests the only reason those solo races are allowed to continue is because of lax enforcement. To that I would heartedly disagree.

This poses an interesting question which I will seek to reseach.

As a sidebar, consider Capt Tristan Jones and his solo exploits. Surely he would know the pertient laws. However, given his personalility I don't doubt this former Royal Navy officer was simply giving the finger to authority on his every endeavor.

As long as you realize that "Tristan Jones" is an invention of Aurthur Jones and much of what he wrote is fiction and/or embellishment you can reference him if you please. I don't recall Aurthur Jones being an Officer in HMRN. As Aurthur Jones, he also was a failed smuggler, so thumbing his nose at minor things such as Rules of the Road comes as no surprise.

Back