Sportys SP-400

twdeckard

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
twdeckard
If you aren't connecting it to an external nav antenna its not going to give you accurate sensitivity due to antenna/signal polarization.

Is the polarization issue on the SP-400 based on an intuitive assumption or empirical evidence?

The handheld rubberduckie antenna is going to be polarized to whatever angle you hold it. Nav signals are horizontally polarized. Comm signals are vertically polarized.

polization mismatch won't affect the "accuracy" of the recieved ILS. The goal is a rescue of last resort assuming perhaps that you found the FAF with GPS/radar steer, so as long as the signal is sufficient ...

The Sporty's video indicates they get VOR reception for 70 miles. That is not my experience at cruise altitudes in the average spam can with my ICOM. I have had to pass much closer to the station to take a bearing (regardless of which way I leaned the walky talky).

Repeat the same question: anybody played with one? I'm still going to count on an ASR or improvising with the GPS, but its a novel idea. If I were buying a radio new it would be compelling ...

I like the display. One of the negatives to the radio (and the earlier model) is their lack of a lithium-ion battery pack. The Li-I pack on my VXA-710 is good for nearly 24 hours of receive time and I still have the option of the alkaline pack for backup. Sporty's radios have always been designed with the opposite philosophy. That might have made sense back in the Ni-Cd days, but there's not much excuse for not having a Li-I now.

Back