Photos

Handsfield

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Hunter Handsfield
Can't help posting two shots I took recently. Mt. St. Helens/Mt. Rainier photographed 3 days ago; Missouri River near sunset (in western S. Datota, I think) a little less than 2 weeks ago.

Hunter

Last edited:
WOW! Very nice!

Thanks for sharing and don't be shy with any other photos you have!! Nice stuff.

Wow - I love that first one. Epitomizes why we are pilots. Not too many folks get that view unless they go commercial or are serious climbers...

Outstanding. Your mountain top peaking through just became my desktop picture. Hope you don't mind

Handsfield said:
Missouri River near sunset (in western S. Datota, I think) a little less than 2 weeks ago.
Hunter
Very nice, Hunter! Just a geographic FYI, if the Missouri River shot is from South Dakota, then it's central SD, as the Missouri bisects the state N to S. The Missouri is also used as Central/Mountain timezone border and runs right thru Pierre, the state capital, which ends up being in 2 time zones.
I find it interesting that a number of political disagreements are clearly "west river" vs "east river" as well.

Last edited:
Great PIX Hunter,
Makes me feel right at home (KBFI), what were you flying in ?
You might enjoy our PIXS of NW here; MOUNTAINFLYINGVIDEOS.com

Handsfield said:
Can't help posting two shots I took recently. Mt. St. Helens/Mt. Rainier photographed 3 days ago; Missouri River near sunset (in western S. Datota, I think) a little less than 2 weeks ago.

Hunter

Very, very nice :)

This one I have posted before- unfortunately it's cropped to make it internet sized. "Escape from Telluride"

Last edited:
Great photos, Hunter. Thanks!

Pretty good image for knarly stuff at Telluride, because if it gets too awful bad, usually no real image except fog or black night IFR will show up... or one is just too busy to photograph sometimes.

Last January, I was working in Brazil for a couple of weeks and on our return to Atlanta, had to fly from Sao Paulo non-stop to O'hare, and then on to ATL. It was cheaper (why, I don't know). Anyway, we went from sub equatorial heat and RAIN, RAIN, RAIN, to a snowstorm. I got a couple of pics from the plane of the sunrise over the clouds. :)

bbchien said:
Very, very nice :)

This one I have posted before- unfortunately it's cropped to make it internet sized. "Escape from Telluride"

You call that cropped!? How big was the original? Mural sized?? ;) :D

Greebo said:
You call that cropped!? How big was the original? Mural sized?? ;) :D
LOL! I wasn't going to say anything, either, but...Dr. B must have a HUGE monitor!

Brian Austin said:
LOL! I wasn't going to say anything, either, but...Dr. B must have a HUGE monitor!
Mine scrolled over to the cube neighbor's monitor... :D

gkainz said:
Mine scrolled over to the cube neighbor's monitor... :D
LOL!

I thought I was going to have to go to the big guns. 37" LCD on top, 50" plasma on bottom. Both hooked up to computers and videoconferencing.

Remind me to come over and steal your house next time you're out flying...

Greebo said:
Remind me to come over and steal your house next time you're out flying...
:D It's the office, not my house. I don't watch enough TV to warrant that stuff.

And it's one of three rooms like that. Another two rooms use two projectors instead of screens.

House. Office. Whatever. I'm stealing SOMETHING! :)

gkainz said:
Very nice, Hunter! Just a geographic FYI, if the Missouri River shot is from South Dakota, then it's central SD, as the Missouri bisects the state N to S. The Missouri is also used as Central/Mountain timezone border and runs right thru Pierre, the state capital, which ends up being in 2 time zones.
I find it interesting that a number of political disagreements are clearly "west river" vs "east river" as well.

Thanks, Greg--good call! I was lazy when I posted--I could have checked the time of the photo and would have been more certain where I was. In fact, I think you are almost exactly right; I was in SE or S-central SD approaching PIR, where I made my first refueling stop on the first leg of my 13 hr day from Illinois (CMI) to BFI.

Regards-- Hunter

corjulo said:
Outstanding. Your mountain top peaking through just became my desktop picture. Hope you don't mind

Who can argue with a little minor fame? Thanks--you honor me.

Hunter

Dave Krall CFII said:
Great PIX Hunter,
Makes me feel right at home (KBFI), what were you flying in ?
You might enjoy our PIXS of NW here; MOUNTAINFLYINGVIDEOS.com

The favorite airplane I own (OK, the only one), 2002 Turbo 182. For the moutain shot I was at 13,000'--Mt St Helens is 8000+, Mt Rainier 14,410'; top of the deck ~7500-8000. On the way from Seattle (BFI) to Corvallis, OR (CVO) on business. (How I loves flyin' on someone else's nickel!)

Are you based at BFI, Dave? Where?

Hunter

Hunter,

Seattle and Atlanta? UW and where? That's a lot of commuting. Enjoy the picture. :D

Handsfield said:
The favorite airplane I own (OK, the only one), 2002 Turbo 182. For the moutain shot I was at 13,000'--Mt St Helens is 8000+, Mt Rainier 14,410'; top of the deck ~7500-8000. On the way from Seattle (BFI) to Corvallis, OR (CVO) on business. (How I loves flyin' on someone else's nickel!)

Are you based at BFI, Dave? Where?

Hunter

Yep, BFI, mainly Alternate Scare (...Air) Flying Club for over 10 years.

Those turbo Cessnas like yours are sweet for the mountains.
We've taken lots of nosedraggers like that (even C205) into the meanest mountain strips in the world when filming but it's getting embarassing watching the taildraggers continually doing double takes on us when we do.

Those pictures make me sooooo homesick for WA/Seattle. My biggest regret of the last few years is having to move back east ...... but, where theres a will theres a way! I miss flying the old blue Stinson on Lake Union too..... does anyone know if Jim (Seattle Seaplanes) got the engine back in it ??

Bootsie said:
Those pictures make me sooooo homesick for WA/Seattle. My biggest regret of the last few years is having to move back east ...... but, where theres a will theres a way! I miss flying the old blue Stinson on Lake Union too..... does anyone know if Jim (Seattle Seaplanes) got the engine back in it ??

Before my commercial seaplane rating, that's the seaplane I flew, sometimes with Jim ! Solo, it always felt like the Twilight Zone to me... what a trip to fly something so old. Seems like he was flying it last summer, but could have been the year before. When was engine work you speak of ?

I flew it last summer a few times. He has a really nice 172 w/180 conversion on floats now too.....but I still loved flying that old Stinson. I think he pulled the engine around July/August. I moved back here in Sept and he still didn't have it back in as of then. Some of my fondest memories are taking off heading south straight for the needle......what a view!

Bootsie said:
I flew it last summer a few times. He has a really nice 172 w/180 conversion on floats now too.....but I still loved flying that old Stinson. I think he pulled the engine around July/August. I moved back here in Sept and he still didn't have it back in as of then. Some of my fondest memories are taking off heading south straight for the needle......what a view!

...or wraping the base to final turn with the Stinson tight enough to the railing on the Space Needle to see some open mouthed spectators...

Are you flying in Seattle somewhere ?
I'm at BFI

I was flying out of PAE until September when my company relocated me to Cleveland. I took most of my lessons in that Stinson although I took my checkride on the Colorado River......that's another whole story! Had to do it in my bare feet....had lost my shoes down the river earlier in an attempt to save the plane from being smashed by someone backing a trailer into the river to launch their waverunners. I guess I am lucky I even survived that weekend since the day prior to that, we had to land the plane across the river due to winds/storm.

Bootsie said:
I was flying out of PAE until September when my company relocated me to Cleveland. I took most of my lessons in that Stinson although I took my checkride on the Colorado River......that's another whole story! Had to do it in my bare feet....had lost my shoes down the river earlier in an attempt to save the plane from being smashed by someone backing a trailer into the river to launch their waverunners. I guess I am lucky I even survived that weekend since the day prior to that, we had to land the plane across the river due to winds/storm.

Well if you get back to SEA or PAE let me know & I'll treat you to a flight over to the Islands for lunch or something if you like... hopefully more relaxing than your seaplane training !

Back