Great flight to Wisconsin today

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Challenging flight today from Addison (North Dallas) to Oshkosh to attend my niece's graduation from college and nursing school!
Pretty strong line of storms moving from the southwest to the northeast when I departed Addison. They had shut down all flights west. I got out before the storms got to Dallas and paralleled them (in front) for awhile before they caught up with me.

Wound up climbing to FL250 to get above things and got some icing in the climb, the the Baron carried it fine. Leveled off and was above all the bad stuff, but still IMC at -20C. Plane trued out about 233 knots and ground speeds were over 250 a good part of the trip.

Part of the reason I trued out a bit faster is I was carrying 50 bottles of special wine for my niece's upcoming wedding. Moved the CG back a bit and the plane picked up a few knots.

Hit 300 knots at one time when Chicago Center asked me to expedite my descent--wha hoo.

Have I said recently that I still love my P-Baron which is now more than 300 hours over TBO and running like a finely made watch.

Best,

Dave

Challenging flight today from Addison (North Dallas) to Oshkosh to attend my niece's graduation from college and nursing school!
Pretty strong line of storms moving from the southwest to the northeast when I departed Addison. They had shut down all flights west. I got out before the storms got to Dallas and paralleled them (in front) for awhile before they caught up with me.

Wound up climbing to FL250 to get above things and got some icing in the climb, the the Baron carried it fine. Leveled off and was above all the bad stuff, but still IMC at -20C. Plane trued out about 233 knots and ground speeds were over 250 a good part of the trip.

Part of the reason I trued out a bit faster is I was carrying 50 bottles of special wine for my niece's upcoming wedding. Moved the CG back a bit and the plane picked up a few knots.

Hit 300 knots at one time when Chicago Center asked me to expedite my descent--wha hoo.

Have I said recently that I still love my P-Baron which is now more than 300 hours over TBO and running like a finely made watch.

Best,

Dave

Sounds like an interesting time. How long are you in Wisconsin? I'm headed to JVL Sunday AM for some formation practice there.

Leaving Sunday. Don't know the schedule yet. The fella I usually fly up with is in Rockford with his Dad who in in failing health. Don't know what's up with him. I'll have to ask Lindsay what's up. Usually, I leave after lunch sometime.

Best,

Dave

Leaving Sunday. Don't know the schedule yet. The fella I usually fly up with is in Rockford with his Dad who in in failing health. Don't know what's up with him. I'll have to ask Lindsay what's up. Usually, I leave after lunch sometime.

Best,

Dave

Actually, I had the dates mixed up. JVL is NEXT Sunday (May 23).

Yea,

We need to time things better... I just left WI on Wednesday, headed back to FL. Good ride, but not as fast as Dave's.

I think we've all just got so much goin on!
Niece Lindsay had two graduations Saturday-we were in things from 9:00 until almost 5; then all went out to eat.
Pinning on the nurse emblem was the greatest; don't think I've ever seen so many hugs at a ceremony! Over 70 new nurses (they still have to take boards, but the undergrad degree is done. Unfortunately, many didn't have jobs at graduation. (Lindsay does but isn't bragging 'bout it because so many friends don't)

Then, over from the school of nursing to UW Oshkosh for the big graduation. Lots of MBA and liberal arts majors; them the nurses (with a designated hugger). They really ran a lot of folks through there in a couple hours.

So, Lindsay got her under grad and nursing degree. She's been accepted to grad school at Oshkosh and has a job. Marriage is end of June and I'll be going back for that. This girl has really had a busy year!

She'll be down in Dallas next week getting her final (we hope) fitting for her dress with her maid of honor and sister.

Once she's married and off on her honeymoon, Uncle Dave may finally have some free time <g>.

I know you're doing more than me with family Larry!

Lance was free, but didn't know it <g>

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
Didn't realize it, but flightaware.com shows me at 295 knots straight and level at FL230 at 11:14 on the trip up from Addison to Portage. Pretty sure that's the fastest ground speed I've had straight and level in the 58P. That was LOP at about 15.7 gph per side. Not bad for over 300 past TBO on these engines. My hand written notes show I was indicating 158 at 1:33 which was 245 TAS.

Oops! I was looking at mph. Seems about 250 knots GS straight and level which jibes better with the 233 TAS I computed and winds at the time.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
Sounds like a good flight, Dave, albeit challenging. Fortunately the storms I had to deal with on Friday timed themselves such that I didn't have to worry much about them. I saw one big black cloud while in uncontrolled airspace in Canada. Interesting note, since I'm breaking in the new cylinders on the left engine, your fuel burn was about the same as mine. I'm much happier running economy cruise.

Congratulations to your niece! Busy year indeed.

Back