EAA, whats the allure?

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
So if your not building or flying and experimental why join EAA? AOPA is the big dog and bigger in Gov't relations and pilot services. I'm not knocking EAA I just really don't know.

When I was learing all I heard was AOPA never EAA.

Personally I enjoy it for the comraderie of hanging out with folks and the things that they do as a group. Young Eagles is a great program, we have the monthly pancake breakfast, we sponsor and Explorer Post, have the Ford Tri-motor in, the B-17 in, help with the Parade of Planes, special dinners a few times a year, etc.

I believe you'll find EAA's government advocacy efforts are at least equal to, if not more effective than, AOPA's. And they extend well beyond the experimental sector of General Aviation.

http://www.eaa.org/govt/

http://www.eaa.org/govt/default_Summit2010.asp

Through the local chapters there are numerous aviation events and activities that put pilots and planes in the air throughout the year providing a positive message to the general public at a personal level. I don't see AOPA able to do that on a broad basis. As the name implies, it mainly preaches to the choir, imho.

So if your not building or flying and experimental why join EAA? AOPA is the big dog and bigger in Gov't relations and pilot services. I'm not knocking EAA I just really don't know.

AOPA has inexplicably (to me) never built a local chapter structure. EAA has, which gives most airports a "core" group to build around. This is a good thing, indeed, although it doesn't always work. (For example, our local EAA chapter in Iowa City was nearly inactive. What activity there was tended to be focused more in nearby Cedar Rapids. Our chapter in Racine, WI, on the other hand, was intensively active, all the time.)

Most importantly, EAA hosts the largest aviation celebration in the world, in Oshkosh, WI. This alone is enough reason to send them my dues every year. If you've not attended yet, you are missing the single most important flight every pilot should make at least once in their lives.

As a non-pilot: Joining the local chapter of the EAA gets me past the airport gate to hang out with like-minded people and enjoy being around planes. Bringing a flight sim out on young eagles day for the kids to use while waiting their turn, building a website for the group, the B-17 visit is great.
And I get a chance to see some great homebuilt aircraft, learn a few things and possibly bum a few minutes of stick time now and then. All that for 20 bucks a year.

Not mentioned yet: EAA puts out a much better magazine than AOPA.

Chris

Young Eagles. 'Nuff said.

Not mentioned yet: EAA puts out a much better magazine than AOPA.

Chris
That is a matter of opinion. The new format is much better than the old. But I think it is not any better AOPA. Which I do not believe is all that good either.

But to answer your question Adam. EAA, at least for me and where I am based, is a social group. 10C has an active chapter that likes to get together to do things. Be it a pancake breakfast, shooting the bull, chili cook off, etc. they are a group of people that want to hang out with each other. I wish I had more time to actually hang out with them. But I did get to know a lot of the other tenants at the airport because of them.

EAA local chapters is one reason to join. Building an aircraft is not required. Of our 200+ members, there's probably only 15 projects currently being worked on. Of the planes, probably 20% are homebuilt. There's monthly meetings, social events, flyins. You'll also find divisions for ultralights, CFIs, vintage, aerobatics, homebuilts, and warbirds. As mentioned, they have their own government advocacy and you can't have too many voices working on YOUR program on the hill.
Check out their website. I'm sure you'll find a good reason (you believe in) to join.
I joined different Corvette organizations and a couple of local clubs. One was National Corvette Restorers Society and a local chapter. I also joined a local Corvette club. NCRS and the local chapter is all about keeping a Corvette in good condition, restoration, and showing. The local club was a social event.
You get different things out of them.
~John
Life AOPA - www.aopa.org
Life EAA - www.eaa.org
Life EAA106 - www.eaa106.org
Warbirds Squadron 7 - http://www.warbirdsquadron7.com/

Last edited:
EAA promotes aviation in its own way, different from AOPA. I belong to both. Craig Fuller's efforts to bring the groups together is outstanding.

EAA: Cares about General Aviation
AOPA: Cares about obtaining more members and political power.

EAA: Willing to fight for General Aviation
AOPA: Willing to fight against user fees, but nothing else.

EAA: Fun, local meetings, with a great group of enthused pilots
AOPA: Town hall meetings with some pompous "experienced" pilot, and a discussion afterward

EAA: Crappy magazine
AOPA: Crappy membership package period

EAA: Will let you borrow a trailer to take your home built to the airport
AOPA: Homebuilts are too dangerous to fly, according the government. At the moment, we're battling user fees, don't you understand??!?

I've attended the giant fly-in at Oshkosh just about every year since I got my PPL. The discount in admission makes up for the price of membership. I like their magazine far better than AOPA's as I have to potential to build or fly many of the aircraft the EAA magazine discusses, but doubt I will ever fly the shiny turbines featured in the pages of the AOPA rag. Oh, and the EAA gave me an airplane!

I like EAA's local chapter structure. As already mentioned, the majority of EAA members are not building, have never built, and probably never will build.

I see AOPA as being focused more on laws and legalities and politics and EAA is more focused on 'how to we get people that want to fly into airplanes' and 'how do we keep the old airplanes flying as long as possible'. AOPA is more 'theoretical' and less 'tangible' based while EAA is down-and-dirty, making stuff happen.

Oh, and EAA's magazine blows AOPA's out of the water. I think I have read the last three EAA Sport Aviation mags from cover to cover. I can't remember that ever happening with AOPA's mag.

I'm not bashing AOPA - I think they do good stuff on capitol hill, but as far as day-to-day flying, I think EAA has a better grasp on what that is all about.

That's just my personal view.

Hey folks thanks those were some great responses. I never saw AOPA and EAA as competitors. I just didn't understand the difference in their missions. I'll check out EAA.

Maybe they could just follow the current trend and call it the

"Euphemistic Aircraft Association"

AOPA = Aviation political action committee
EAA = Organization for those with a passion for flight

Both are required. Each needs the other.

EAA is going to give me a brand new Husky in August. That's why i like them.:D

Like everything else in aviation, it comes down to mission. The EAA is for the experimentals and the AOPA is for the TSO'd and STC'd.

Many belong to both, but if your aviation dollar is constrained, then join EAA if you are a dreamer and AOPA if you own a plane.

Don't misunderstand my meaning of dreamer, the EAA gives people who just love flying with minimal constraint the chance to spread their wings, even if they never build a plane. The AOPA is a bit more formal, more corporate and it does cater to aircraft owners of the certified kind.

I belong to AOPA and use it's bennies regularly. I find no use for EAA personally and my extra "joining money" goes to MAPA.

Well Adam i belong to EAA cause I do Young Eagle Flights, And the added Insurance is nice to have just in case. Dave G

Like everything else in aviation, it comes down to mission. The EAA is for the experimentals and the AOPA is for the TSO'd and STC'd.

Many belong to both, but if your aviation dollar is constrained, then join EAA if you are a dreamer and AOPA if you own a plane.

Don't misunderstand my meaning of dreamer, the EAA gives people who just love flying with minimal constraint the chance to spread their wings, even if they never build a plane. The AOPA is a bit more formal, more corporate and it does cater to aircraft owners of the certified kind.

I belong to AOPA and use it's bennies regularly. I find no use for EAA personally and my extra "joining money" goes to MAPA.

Wrong wrong wrong.

The EAA is for aviation enthusiasts.

AOPA is for people who like to waste money on an organization that spends more on recruiting members than it does on "advocating" for GA.

When I was a member of AOPA, I was more heavily recruited to join than anytime before or after. I calculated it, and found that they actually spent more money on recruiting me than I was paying in dues. And that is not including the materials I received to contribute to various PACs.

AOPA is a soft organization that does not really stand for anything anymore.

The EAA, on the other hand, stands for something. They promote aviation by holding a large fly in that is available to the public and they offer discounted (or free, I can't remember) admission to EAA members that arrive via airplane.

Does Sun n' Fun do anything like that?

The EAA provides local meetings for pilots to group together and talk about aviation. They usually meet at least monthly.

How often does AOPA have a meeting in your area?

The EAA supports all forms of recreational aviation, from experimental to LSA to Twins, and even bigger, as long as its used for fun.

AOPA supports bizjets and Cirrus/Columbia drivers.

EAA supports CFIs by giving clinics and great amount of information to members to learn from.

AOPA has a "Student/CFI" magazine that rehashes stories every 6 months or so.

What does AOPA have that EAA doesn't? Well, an insurance plan that is generally not discounted compared to non AOPA plan pricing. Discounts on cars that actually cost more than not using the AOPA plan numbers. An airport directory that is about a year outdated by the time it arrives in your mailbox.

In truth, the only real reason to pick an organization, however, is not to get stuff. It is because that organization is actively trying to defend GA to the public. AOPA takes credit for others' work. EAA gets stuff done.

And that is the long and short of it.

I am at a loss to know if this poster has ever been to Airventure, a regional EAA event, or a local EAA chapter meeting, or an IAC event, or a Warbird Squadron meeting or flown in a Vintage aircraft to a fly-in, or given a Young Eagles Ride...the list goes on and on. I think those activities do more to promote aviation in a positive light where it counts than just about any other activity out there, personally.

I own a plane and I am an EAA member. (almost sounds like an NRA ad, don't it). More innovation that has benefited all of GA has come out of EAA activities than that other organization.

Last edited:
AOPA = Aviation political action committee
EAA = Organization for those with a passion for flight

Both are required. Each needs the other.

I sense some increased cooperation between the two organizations. Is that coming from Paul Poberezny or Craig Fuller? I don't know. But I think we would all benefit.

I post here, not as a representative of the Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company, RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company, Reynolds American Inc, nor any other Tobacco manufacturer, but rather as an individual. My employment ties to any of the above companies is incidental to anything I post at Pilots of America. Please do not take any statement made as an endorsement of any belief or stance of the aforementioned companies.

Back off the nicotine already.

EAA and oshkosh gave me the dream to own a aircraft and fly.

AOPA, I am sure does great work, so I joined.

I count down the days to oshkosh every year. My best friend and I have both been going for prob. 15 yrs now. It has never got old. Arriving a oshkosh is like being 5 yrs old again on Christmas morning. Landing my new T182T there this year will be a dream come true for me.

Arriving a oshkosh is like being 5 yrs old again on Christmas morning. Landing my new T182T there this year will be a dream come true for me.

Denny, I don't know you, but I hate you. :D Enjoy AirVenture with your new toy. Me? I'll either be taking a rental 1999 172 or my 2004 Ford Expedition.

AOPA = our only real advocate on Capitol Hill. Yeah, go ahead, badmouth the organization. Without AOPA we have NO ONE. NOTHING. NO advocates. Look beyond the nose on your face!!!!

EAA = does everything possible, short of building a plane for you, to help you enjoy aircraft ownership.My membership keeps the little flame alive, that someday I might build my own aircraft just like Orville and Wilbur

Don't forget EAA also is the umbrella for many smaller useful organizations like NAFI and the Aerobatic folks. As others have mentioned, EAA would get my $$ just to keep OSH going.

I don't think Nick would like living in an aviation world without AOPA - I know I wouldn't. They focus on the certified airplanes (ane most new piston aircraft are out of reach for the average citizen, let alone a jet) but that's no reason to dislike them. Their magazine is good and informative, and they're known as "The NRA of the Air" here in DC for a good reason.

If I HAD to drop one, I'd drop EAA. But I'd have made a lot of drastic lifestyle cuts first.

If you're looking for purity of purpose, I'm not sure the Poberezny-nepotism cash cow meets all those tests either. IMO both organizations provide a service to GA, but with different methodologies of delivering the benefits. Pick one or both, but support somebody. We need all the help we can get.

There is no allure for me. I have been in several EAA chapters including chapter 1 and found it not to be my cup of tea. I do not need someone, who may not even be a pilot to tell me when and where I can take someone for a ride in MY plane. I also find some of its members to be nothing short of wreckless, so I chose not to be involved. OSH was fun, and I did meet some great folks but the overall experience was negative. YMMV.

I don't think Nick would like living in an aviation world without AOPA - I know I wouldn't. They focus on the certified airplanes (ane most new piston aircraft are out of reach for the average citizen, let alone a jet) but that's no reason to dislike them. Their magazine is good and informative, and they're known as "The NRA of the Air" here in DC for a good reason.

If I HAD to drop one, I'd drop EAA. But I'd have made a lot of drastic lifestyle cuts first.

So - just saying here.....

Name one big thing that AOPA has stopped the government from doing in the last 2 years.

Then, look at how many things the government has succeeded in doing to GA pilots in the last 2 years.

Then, look at how much money AOPA wasted recruiting current members and think that maybe....just maybe, they might have been able to make a difference. Who knows? All I know is that they've become a magazine subscription to people, and that's sad, since they're supposed to be an advocacy group.

Nick, you don't like AOPA - I get it. I think you're an idiot (on this particular topic only).

Let's not try and challenge each other's opinions - it'll be pointless.

So - just saying here.....

Name one big thing that AOPA has stopped the government from doing in the last 2 years.

Then, look at how many things the government has succeeded in doing to GA pilots in the last 2 years.

Then, look at how much money AOPA wasted recruiting current members and think that maybe....just maybe, they might have been able to make a difference. Who knows? All I know is that they've become a magazine subscription to people, and that's sad, since they're supposed to be an advocacy group.

You'd have to look at what the US would be like without AOPAs advocacy efforts. My guess is it would look a lot more like Europe vis-a-vis aviation policy. And by the way, I get one letter a year, period. Never got any more than that.

Nick, you don't like AOPA - I get it. I think you're an idiot (on this particular topic only).

Let's not try and challenge each other's opinions - it'll be pointless.

I'm an idiot because I recognize that AOPA did great things back in the day, but not lately.

You're a moron because you can't see that AOPA has become inefficient and useless. (And I might note, you resorted to name calling because you can't answer my question. Typical)

How's that feel Tim?

Back