New type of space propulsion?

Meh. We have Warp Drive right? We can just use that. This system sounds more like Impulse Power.

:D

I'm glad he hasn't given up on this... his system is promising.
I'm not sure about those efficiency figures, but the important thing here is that such a drive would provide continuous thrust- even half a gee, continuously, would radically cut down transit times. It's also very light, and could be run off a reactor, instead of tons of chemical fuel.

Last edited:
I'm glad he hasn't given up on this... his system is promising.
I'm not sure about the efficiency figures, but the important thing here is that such a drive would provide continuous thrust- even half a gee, continuously, would radically cut down transit times.

That, and some gravity, even a half a G, would be far better for the astronauts than continuous microgravity. I hope it works.

I've flown with JPL scientists and engineers working on this. I believe the actual thrust is measured in ounces not G's. But as pointed out it is continuous. For spacecraft with nuclear power generators they look very promising.

I've written a few papers on magnetoplasmadynamics in college (engineering major). These types of engines are good for VERY long flights, where the difference acceleration makes on the overall time traveled is reasonably negligible. Just for transit to Mars? Not likely with anything I've researched.

Back