Checkride in 2 weeks!

jasc15

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
It's about damn time. But I am pretty nervous. I have been studying like mad these last few weeks, and I feel like I'll be ok for the oral part. It's kind of weird that I was originally more worried about that than the actual flight, but that has been flipped around since my most recent dual with my instructor. I had a real hard time maintaining altitude in steep turns, so we went to review some other maneuvers and came back to them later. I also had trouble getting into slow flight and tried it twice before getting it the third time. Before heading back in, I tried the steep turns again and got them within minimums. My instructor keeps telling me that its mostly a visual maneuver, but I cant help but stare at the instruments. It seems as soon as my eyes leave the altimeter, I lose altitude. Anyway, I plan on having another dual before the checkride to polish up, and I hope that's all it takes.

Go practice steep turns with your instructor covering the ENTIRE panel.

You don't need gauges to do steep turns. You need to set power, maybe set some trim (up to you), and then keep the picture out the window consistent.

There's a pre checkride sticky on here you should definitely read (if you haven't already), but keep in mind the point of the whole exercise -- the DPE needs to evaluate your ability to fly to the level of a Private Pilot.

If you can do that, don't sweat it. If you can't, consistently, keep practicing until you can.

I have read the sticky, but it's been months. I'll take another pass.

I suspect the slow flight and steep turn issues are related, and driven by focusing too much on things like VSI, rather than using outside attitude references (nose/horizon relationtionships) and power to control performance. Covering the instruments you shouldn't be looking at (particularly the AI and VSI) might help a lot.

I suspect the slow flight and steep turn issues are related, and driven by focusing too much on things like VSI, rather than using outside attitude references (nose/horizon relationtionships) and power to control performance. Covering the instruments you shouldn't be looking at (particularly the AI and VSI) might help a lot.

Sounds strangely familiar....

Here's how I licked the steep turns. Start your turn, look at the gauges to make sure you are in the correct configuration, then look at your sight picture and lock it in. Don't look at your gauges after you establish the turn.

Lock your sight picture and your steep turn will be perfect. I was shown this method shortly before my checkride (was struggling with them) and the examiner complimented my turn. As it's been already mentioned, your control inputs should be minimal...

I've concluded that rec.anything is a cesspool of ignoramouses.

You talk'n 'bout me AGAIN? :smile:

What the hell...must be a flight simulator pilot? Because anyone trying what he proposes will die almost instantly.

Too bad these guys don't get a chance to try it in real life, eh?

I had a real hard time maintaining altitude in steep turns, so we went to review some other maneuvers and came back to them later. I also had trouble getting into slow flight and tried it twice before getting it the third time. Before heading back in, I tried the steep turns again and got them within minimums. My instructor keeps telling me that its mostly a visual maneuver, but I cant help but stare at the instruments.

While getting checked out in the DA40, my initial attempts at steep turns were really bad. After a series to the left and right, my CFI told me to get the power set and to fly hands off to see what happens. The trim was so far off that I couldn't believe that I had that much pressure on the stick to maintain altitude prior to trimming. Once that was done, I had no problems with the steep turns.

John

Yep, Just L@@K outside and keep it level.....u will b fine..!!

The FAA dude wants to make sure you will be safe in the air....oh yea and that you can fly the plane.

When I did my check ride I was muttering to my self what I was doing / thinking...The FAA dude liked that because he could identify my thought process and the checkride ended 1/2 hour eariler.....and yes I passed.

Food for thought.....

Verbalizing my thought process is something i've been working on lately. I always kept quiet while going through my checklists and maneuvers, but my instructor. has encouraged me to verbalize to the point where i also do it while soloing

I just wanted to let you know, we're all counting on you.

Attachments

• airplane.jpg
    airplane.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 4
It's about damn time. But I am pretty nervous. I have been studying like mad these last few weeks, and I feel like I'll be ok for the oral part. It's kind of weird that I was originally more worried about that than the actual flight, but that has been flipped around since my most recent dual with my instructor. I had a real hard time maintaining altitude in steep turns, so we went to review some other maneuvers and came back to them later. I also had trouble getting into slow flight and tried it twice before getting it the third time. Before heading back in, I tried the steep turns again and got them within minimums. My instructor keeps telling me that its mostly a visual maneuver, but I cant help but stare at the instruments. It seems as soon as my eyes leave the altimeter, I lose altitude. Anyway, I plan on having another dual before the checkride to polish up, and I hope that's all it takes.

How To Pass A Checkride 101
Dudley Henriques CFI Retired

(I get a fair amount of back channel email on flight instruction
issues and this issue comes up quite a lot. Here are some notes from seminars I have given on the subject of check rides, what to expect, and some things that might help students get through them properly.

Notes below;

Let's talk checkrides for a moment shall we? It's an interesting and
important issue to all of us who fly, and I believe it deserves some
special
attention.

I've noticed through the years that this issue comes up many times
when
pilots get together to talk shop, and it's been an issue on the
student
newsgroup as well .It's an issue that all of us, from our pre-solo
checks
through our ATP route checks have to deal with sooner or later if we
intend
to remain pilots. We'll have phase checks, flight tests, checkout
flights,
and continuing proficiency checks to deal with sooner or later in our
careers. I've been both taking and giving checkrides in airplanes for
about
fifty years now, and I believe I've learned a few things about both
ends of
the spectrum. With your indulgence, I'd like to pass some of what I've
learned on to you, especially those of you just starting out on your
long
aviation journey,

Let's concentrate on the flight test check flight for a Private
Certificate
as an example. I choose this scenario because it's really the first
"serious" flight check you will receive as a pilot, and as such, many
have a
tendency to bring unneeded fear and apprehension into this equation.
I'd
like to address these possible fears and apprehensions, and perhaps
steer
you into a proper state of mind for taking on this all important
checkride.....the one you have worked so long and hard to pass!

Lets talk for a moment about attitude, then we'll take a short look at
the
checkride itself, and how you should interface with the examiner
during the
test. You will notice immediately that I am shying completely away
from
maneuver technicalities and maneuver discussion. I think we can all
assume
that prior to taking a checkflight for a certificate that you have
been
properly trained and recommended for the flight test. What I'm getting
at
here is above and beyond this. It concerns the attitude and mental
preparation you take with you when you get into the airplane with the
check
pilot or examiner.

First, and this is probably the most important single factor involved
in a
flight test; RELAX! Realize that the examiner doesn't expect you to be
perfect; the examiner expects you to be SAFE!!!!! Now, what does this
mean
to you? You should arrive for the test as prepared as possible. This
doesn't
mean you have to know the answer to every question you will be asked.
It
means that if you don't know the answer, you DO know exactly where to
find
it. It also means you should expect to make mistakes.This is extremely
important so remember it; the examiner EXPECTS you to make mistakes.
In
fact, the examiner WANTS you to make mistakes so he/she can
immediately see
if you can both recognize that you have made that mistake, and as well
CORRECT the mistake within safe parameters.

Now this point deserves a bit more attention, so listen up a moment
here.
Why are mistakes important to an examiner? Here's the answer. The
examiner
is constantly asking him/herself all through your flight, "How safe is
this
applicant" "How would this applicant react to this or that if I wasn't
here?" These are important and pertinent questions. How does the
examiner
deal with this? ERROR ANALYSIS!!! That's how! There is absolutely no
better
way to evaluate a pilot in flight than allowing that pilot to fly into
an
error; then view EXACTLY how long it takes for the pilot to recognize
that
error, and EXACTLY how long it takes to initiate corrective action,
and most
importantly, EXACTLY what that corrective action is!!! What I have
described
here is not only what a good examiner is doing, but also the formula
for
teaching someone to fly an airplane properly. A good instructor NEVER
rides
the controls on a student. A good instructor knows EXACTLY how far to
allow
the student into an error and makes every effort to talk the student
through
a correction without grabbing control from the student. Doing this
correctly
is the mark of both a good CFI, and a good checkpilot......so remember
this.
Back to the examiner; they want to observe your errors, so if you make
them,
and you most certainly will make them, face the error immediately;
state the
error; and begin correction immediately. Nothing impresses an examiner
more
than a pilot who faces a mistake immediately by recognition and
correction.
Remember this!
You will probably discover somewhere in any check flight that the
pilot
giving you the check does things a bit differently than you do, or how
you
were taught to do it. In almost every instance, you will find that you
can
do it BOTH ways correctly, so demonstrate it as the examiner suggests.
In closing, let me say that it really all boils down to keeping
calm.....being relaxed......and giving the examiner a SAFE, HONEST,
flight.
Recognize those errors.....correct them immediately....and when in
doubt....take the SAFE option.
Best of luck to all of you on your future check flights!!! :))))

Dudley Henriques

Tomorrow! I have to meet the examiner at KISP at 9am, so I have to get to KFRG about 8am. At first it annoyed me that I had to go somewhere else, but now that I think about it, it will be good to get warmed up a bit before heading out with the examiner.

I had a brush up lesson Saturday which went well. I had a hard time with slow flight on the previous lesson for some reason, but this time it was absolutely perfect. Conditions were great and I hope it will be the same tomorrow. After work, I am going to do some pattern work and practice my short- and soft-field landings.

Hopefully I will be joining you folks soon!

Tomorrow! I have to meet the examiner at KISP at 9am, so I have to get to KFRG about 8am. At first it annoyed me that I had to go somewhere else, but now that I think about it, it will be good to get warmed up a bit before heading out with the examiner.

Actualy, that's absolutely the best thing that can happen -- you get your air sense back before you test, you shake out the jitters, know what the conditions will be, and if you land poorly arriving at ISP, you can chalk that one up as the bad one for today. :D

Good luck!

One thing you'll quickly notice is that the checkride is usually easier than you think. Now that's not to say checkrides are easy, just don't stress.

Knowing you won't read this until after the checkride -- Congratulations!.

Haha, you must be clairvoyant or something ;-)

I did pass! I don't know where to begin. I remember the examiner saying "give me enough bananas and enough time, and I'll make a monkey fly. So use your pilot brain, not your monkey brain". I also learned that John Wayne shot down the entire Japanese air force with a single P-40!:rofl:

Anyways, the ground portion was good. In fact, the examiner talked so much, that he ended up answering many of his own questions. So if I was unsure of the answer, all I had to do was hesitate and wait for him to answer :yesnod:. As for the flight portion, he liked to get what he wanted from the controllers (since apparently they were all students of his at some point) so he worked the radios most of the time. He also liked to listen to music on the NDB, but I had to turn it off during the touch and go's. There was some yelling, cursing and laughing, and I felt like I performed very poorly, but if it was good enough for him, it's good enough for me!

Now to pick my first destination (or second I guess, since i had to fly back home afterwards) as a certified private pilot. It will probably be FRG to RDG in the next few weeks to visit my girlfriend.

Thanks POA, I gained a lot of valuable info from you guys. :thumbsup:

Congratulations!

Feels great doesn't it? Kind of like another first solo, only less scary.

Congratulations, PILOT Joe! Now go out and use your license to learn. (Start by reviewing those things you found yourself hesitating on, especially if his answers didn't make a lot of sense to you! :))

Yup, you are now the 'safest pilot' in the world, the one who just passed a checkride...
And so, you will now begin the long decline into being the one who has been flying for decades and thinks he knows everything (I resemble that )
Anyway, get some hours and some XC and get comfortable with talking to ATC, and before you know it, it will be time to become a student again for your instrument rating..
The day you pass your IR checkride you will once again be "the safest pilot in the world" - for a couple of days...

cheers,

denny-o

It will probably be FRG to RDG in the next few weeks to visit my girlfriend.

Don't forget, RDG has an approach frequency. Call up tower like a typcial class D, and they'll tell you to call up approach. :rolleyes: Check Airnav and/or the AFD for the approach frequency information and call them up like a Class C. Or, if you have flight following, they'll typically hand you off anyway.

Congratulations! this is just the beginning!

Oh,.. May 15th, come on down to Wings Field for the BBQ! See the thread in Cool Places to Fly!

I remember reading an article in AOPA Pilot about the app control for RDG, but never saw any indication of that anywhere else. However, while doing some preliminary planning last night, I saw a note on the Philly TAC to call app for RDG. I haven't looked at the A/FD yet, so I suppose it would be in there too.

Oh, it has its own approach? I thought it was through Philly App?

Edit: *checks A/FD* How 'bout that.

Last edited:
Oh, it has its own approach? I thought it was through Philly App?

yea, it's a quirk that Reading has. If you are on FF with ABE or PHL, they will probably hand you off. If they drop you adn squalk VFR, Frequency change approved,... then you have to call up READING Approach. Don't call Reading Tower, they will tell you to call up Approach on 125.15, who will then hand you off to Tower a few minutes later.

Now to pick my first destination (or second I guess, since i had to fly back home afterwards) as a certified private pilot. It will probably be FRG to RDG in the next few weeks to visit my girlfriend.

Thanks POA, I gained a lot of valuable info from you guys. :thumbsup:

Congratulations!!!

RDG is a fine little airport -- take some time to visit the Mid Atlantic Air Museum on the north side of the field!

RDG is a fine little airport -- take some time to visit the Mid Atlantic Air Museum on the north side of the field!
I plan on it. I also plan on going to their WWII the weekend of June 4, but I'm not sure if I would fly in or not; might be a bit much for a noob pilot.

I plan on it. I also plan on going to their WWII the weekend of June 4, but I'm not sure if I would fly in or not; might be a bit much for a noob pilot.

Actually, that was my first flight with passengers to a location after earning my PP. I had about 48 hours total.

They parked us on the south ramp and provided a shuttle to th WW2 weekend stuff.

Reading Approach provides sequencing and those nice, big runways just make it too easy. It's also neat to hear, "B-17 on your right, about 3 miles..."

:yesnod:

So, for FRG to RDG. A more or less direct route will take me right through NY class B. Since I have no way of knowing whether or not I will be cleared through, I figure I will have 2 routes planned. Staying outside is a little awkward, but I've done it before staying at 499' along the beach.

As for planning a flight through class B, how would I go about that since I have no idea how they will vector me around? I guess I could make some assumptions, but at the very least I should tell them where I want to end up on the other side of their airspace.

So, for FRG to RDG. A more or less direct route will take me right through NY class B. Since I have no way of knowing whether or not I will be cleared through, I figure I will have 2 routes planned. Staying outside is a little awkward, but I've done it before staying at 499' along the beach.

As for planning a flight through class B, how would I go about that since I have no idea how they will vector me around? I guess I could make some assumptions, but at the very least I should tell them where I want to end up on the other side of their airspace.

Other, more seasoned NY locals will be sure to chime in, but since no one in NY does much before 11 EST.... :D

VFR is pretty easy -- you want to plan to go right over the center of LI (almost over the LIE). You're out of the way of Big Iron aproaches into LGA and JFK. Once over Manhattan same thing applies -- due west to Solberg VOR, after that, direct.

Back