Frank Kingston Smith

Mooneymike

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
I am suprised that I have not seen him mentioned here, might just be me. I think his first book was "weekend pilot", my copy is long gone I read it so many times it came apart, kept me on track when I was learning to fly. I just ran across my copy of "weekend wings" I think its time to read it again. :yesnod:

Mike;
I still have my copies of his "Weekend Pilot" and his book about gettin his instrument rating. I just reread his Weeked Pilot. That book got me going to work at the local airport to earn my flying lessons the same year it was published. He in spired many to get out and fly. Thanks for the post

John J

I picked up a copy of the Weekend Wings at a library one day. That was the year when I logged 6.8 hrs total for the year - tought year it was.

By now I bought at least three or four copies of the book and at least two of those grew little feet and left - and I'm glad they did, hopefully they'll inspire someone to go fly one day.

Amazon's been my primary source for picking up olde books - found all my copies of Weekend Wings there, I'd Rather Be Flying, Weekend Pilot - and also this copy of the Flights of Fancy - which has a little bonus in there (see attached).

I looked up the name - http://www.st-louis-99.com/stl99-history

Pretty awesome even by the e-book age standards!

Attachments

• FKSmith.jpg
    FKSmith.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 19
Frank Kingston Smith helped motivate me to become a pilot. A copy of Weekend Pilot was in the library of my high school, and the rest is history. For years I looked forward to his columns in Flying magazine.

Now Weekend Pilot is also interesting as a glimpse of general aviation in the mid-1950s ... the airplanes (Cessna had just introduced something called the '172'), the avionics ("one for the run, five for the hive!") and airspace and ATC issues (hardly any).

I first ran across Smith's "Week-end Pilot" while browsing through books at a used book store a few years ago.

It was a pleasant read, so I went looking for more of his books on Amazon, where I bought a used copy of "Weekend Wings." I later picked up "Flights of Fancy" and lastly his "Private Pilot's Survival Manual".

His survival book seemed to give some good advice on how to prepare for survivable aircraft accidents so one doesn't die while waiting for rescue.

Any nominations for the FKS of today? People flying and explaining flying in a current context.

Back