Out of work.

It is funny how we work to support our hobbies. I remember hearing something about a big difference between Europe and America. Americans tend to have high-dollar hobbies (flying, speed boats, etc.) and Europeans would tend to have lower-dollar hobbies (kayaking, hiking, etc.). So Americans ended up working more to afford their high-dollar hobbies and spend less time enjoying them, whereas Europeans couldn't spend as much on hobbies, but had more time to enjoy them. Interesting theory.

I like my high-dollar hobbies, so I suppose I'm stuck working. Not so bad. :)

It is funny how we work to support our hobbies. I remember hearing something about a big difference between Europe and America. Americans tend to have high-dollar hobbies (flying, speed boats, etc.) and Europeans would tend to have lower-dollar hobbies (kayaking, hiking, etc.). So Americans ended up working more to afford their high-dollar hobbies and spend less time enjoying them, whereas Europeans couldn't spend as much on hobbies, but had more time to enjoy them. Interesting theory.

I like my high-dollar hobbies, so I suppose I'm stuck working. Not so bad. :)

All hobbies cost exactly the same amount.

Twice what you intended to spend.

It is funny how we work to support our hobbies.
I figured out a long time ago that if my hobby was going to be flying that I would not be able to make enough to support it, so I slowly turned it into my work. This was the right thing for me although I can't say I define myself that way. In retrospect, I'm not very good at developing or sticking with hobbies so I probably would have dropped out of flying a long time ago had I not had the additional motivation.

I figured out a long time ago that if my hobby was going to be flying that I would not be able to make enough to support it, so I slowly turned it into my work. This was the right thing for me although I can't say I define myself that way. In retrospect, I'm not very good at developing or sticking with hobbies so I probably would have dropped out of flying a long time ago had I not had the additional motivation.

Maybe you need ritalin. ;)

Where???? :crazy:

I don't know. I like squirrels, they're yummy. I had a good dinner yesterday, it had lamb. Did you know that New Zealand has 3 million people and 45 million sheep? New Zealand is pretty. My plane is pretty. Ok it's not pretty it's dirty. I should take a shower. I did take a shower. I should clean my shower. I don't like cleaning... :D

After i quit working, I'd see guys and gals dressed for work, scurrying to and fro. It was a strange perspective for me, like those videos where one guy is in slow-mo and the rest of the world is accelerated. I never once felt like I missed being them. It's not like I wasn't dealing with **** too -- I was dealing with REAL #hit, baby 5hit, in stinky diapers. Yet I was happier.

I'm done with corporate life. Forever. I certainly never felt as if I had lost my identity after I quit. I'm sure those folks looked at me and thought "Suckah," but I never felt that way.

If i go back to work, it'll be as a teacher or CFI.

Sit back, take a deep breath, chill for a while. Do some deep thinking. The answer will come to you. Enjoy the summer.

I'm pretty convinced that the day my dad can no longer work will be the signing of his death warrant. I give him 6 months once that day comes. At 81, he's well past standard retirement age, yet still traveling more than me (although on aluminum mailing tubes) and probably getting less sleep. Some people just don't know how to do anything but, especially if they have a fulfilling career that they enjoy.

I think that's a rare case, though, and most humans do best with a reasonable amount of leisure time. It just can take some time to get used to it.

Both my dad and my stepdad claimed they never wanted to retire. They wanted to "die with their boots on"... and they did.

I am reading Cannibal Queen by Stephen Coonts, the book is about a summer he spent flying his Stearman around the country. You could do something like that but it might eat up your $$ rather quickly. Only thing I can suggest, for what it is worth, is to take your time and dont rush into anything. If you can afford to then be picky the only thing that really matters is that you can be happy in what ever you choose to do.

Both my dad and my stepdad claimed they never wanted to retire. They wanted to "die with their boots on"... and they did.

My dad finally retired this year at 75 and has been pretty much preparing to pack it in for the last 3 years. It's sad. Even my mom said he's giving up. He's got his head so far up his a$$ he has no idea how to just enjoy being alive. He's going to die unhappy, just like his parents. Tragic.

NFW will I allow that to happen to me. I've already told Mrs Flyersfan that she has my permission to shoot me if I get that way.

My dad finally retired this year at 75 and has been pretty much preparing to pack it in for the last 3 years. It's sad. Even my mom said he's giving up. He's got his head so far up his a$$ he has no idea how to just enjoy being alive. He's going to die unhappy, just like his parents. Tragic.

NFW will I allow that to happen to me. I've already told Mrs Flyersfan that she has my permission to shoot me if I get that way.

so if he liked working so much why did he retire?

so if he liked working so much why did he retire?

He got a deal he couldn't refuse. He was tenured, so he could have died there if he wanted to. Plus retiring gives him something else to complain about.:frown2:

fair enough. some people arent happy till they aren't happy i guess.

First day of retirement. I got my hair cut, and my barber asked me if I was "off" today. I told him that I didn't have a job anymore, and that I guess that I can just get a hair cut anytime I feel like it now. It is kind of strange. I worked on my camper all day. The thing that is kind of neat, is that usually when I have a project going and I don't get it done, like on a Saturday, I have to put everything away at the end of the day, because I probably won't get back to it for a while. I just left everything out today, because I'll be back at it first thing tomorrow morning. Of course, the truck is parked outside, because my trailer brakes are all tore up and sitting on the garage floor.

Wouldn't you be able to live completely on the areomedical thing by now ?

Allways seemed to be the an attractive option for someone in the trenches of primary care: AME + immigration physicals and some occupational medicine: the perfect crime ;)
Yes. I could. I just need to flip the switch.

But, I still have two on the payroll.....I need to see them OFF the payroll.

And I think it's great that you care enough about those two people that you just don't "flip the switch".

And I think it's great that you care enough about those two people that you just don't "flip the switch".

Agreed... a lot of people wouldn't care and just "flip the switch."

Max, hope your retirement suits you well. Going to fly more now? :)

Max, hope your retirement suits you well. Going to fly more now? :)

I hope to fly a little more. I also intend to pick up some airplane work on the side. I will probably be willing to trade some of that out for a little flying time. I did some work in February on a Cessna 172, and I think that they owe me a couple of hours of dual.

And that is because Bruce is the kind of guy he is. We need more Bruces in the world.

Having worked for over 53years and now have 24 people who depend on me in their work training program to help them become fully employed, I cannot just walk away. This week two got real jobs and that is so sweet.

Bruce like you I can't flip that switch.

John J

Valid consideration. I guess with the more complex work like SIs you could still need some clerical help to type and keep track of paperwok, but for the straightforward medicals you could even do without a front-desk.

It sounds like you value your staff, being connected in the local medical community I suspect you could find good positions for them with little effort (they would probably bump some less valued staffers at other practices ;) ).

Back