Battery mats and box painting

Exocetid

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Exocetid
I had a little hangar time this weekend with my baby and found some crusty groady corrosion powder in the battery box. It was not pathologic; i.e., punched through or anything, so I scraped it off and vacuumed it all out, cleaned the battery terminals, topped off the charge, etc.

Now I am wondering:

Is is OK to put one of those battery pads or mats in there to soak up any acid or fumes? Aircraft Spruce sells it as do many auto parts places.

Is it OK to paint the box? If so, is there a special paint?

Last edited:
I use a battery pad. It's infused with baking soda to neutralize any acid spills. Probably overkill as I use sealed AGM Concordes, but if they ever overheat and leak from a regulator failure it should mitigate some of the damage. I also coat the battery support (no box, uses a hold down strap) with CRC battery terminal protector to keep moisture/electrolyte away from the metal as much as practical.

I had a little hangar time this weekend with my baby and found some crusty groady corrosion powder in the battery box. It was not pathologic; i.e., punched through or anything, so I scraped it off and vacuumed it all out, cleaned the battery terminals, topped off the charge, etc.

Now I am wondering:

Is is OK to put one of those battery pads or mats in there to soak up any acid or fumes? Aircraft Spruce sells it as do many auto parts places.

Is it OK to paint the box? If so, is there a special paint?

Thanks Dave, just what the doctor ordered. Now, is there some act of congress or blessing by an A&P needed to use it?

From Appendix A of FAR part 43 is this item that is considered
preventative maintenance:

"Applying preservative or protective material to components where
no disassembly of any primary structure or operating system is involved
and where such coating is not prohibited or is not contrary to good
practices."

Seems to me that applying acid-proof paint to the battery
box is applying a protective material.

I wish there was an acid-proof paint that solvent didn't dissolve. Got to be careful if washing down the engine with Varsol or anything like that. The battery box paint runs and makes a mess.

Dan

I wish there was an acid-proof paint that solvent didn't dissolve. Got to be careful if washing down the engine with Varsol or anything like that. The battery box paint runs and makes a mess.

Dan

My BB is in the tail behind the baggage compartment. No Varsol going in there.

My BB is in the tail behind the baggage compartment. No Varsol going in there.

You still need to clean it once a year, use baking soda and water to neutralize the acid, then wash with soap and water, while keeping the excess water sucked up with a wet vac.

Dry and preserve with a good corrosion preventive, I like the CRC products.

Be cautious not to overfill the battery. I cut a piece of oil/chemical absorbent pad that can be purchased at auto parts stores, and covered it generously with baking soda. It seems to work just fine

If you go the powder coat route - you really want a epoxy based powder. If they were to use a hybrid powder, which is a common powder - you'll be disappointed.

marc

Back