Interview Frustration

Tristar

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tristar
This is more venting than anything...

So I've decided to look around and find a part time job during the evening to pick up a couple extra hours. After applying at over 15 places, one company finally called today to set up an interview. We decided to meet at 3.

When I arrived, we sat down and discussed when I would be available and what kind of job experience I had. He then instructed me to read the company employee manual. This took me about 30 minutes. They had some weird policies such as "you must wear tan slacks, brown is not permitted" and "no beards permitted, if you must have one for medical reasons it must be covered with a hair net." Wow, I didn't know you could cover one with a net but okay. And lastly: "you must wear white sucks that must be seen at all times." They even highlighted it. So apparently I have to wear tan high-waters to work like grandpa? Hmm...well okay whatever works.

Afterwards I waited for the manager to get to me. From there he began to tell me: "Well I didn't look at your application very closely, I didn't know you wanted to work nights instead of lunch time. We're actually only looking for afternoon people and don't need nights right now. Try calling us in a few weeks." I politely smiled, said okay and walked out. Inside I was yelling, "What! you mean you called me with my application in hand, set up an interview, asked me when I was available in person and still had me read the manual before telling me they didn't need me after all?!" Sounds like a good manager to me. I didn't know how in the world someone could turn down a nights and weekends person but apparently they can.

Am I right to be a little frustrated?

Yes you are right to feel that way. But understand it is an employers market right now. People wanting jobs are plentiful. So companies can afford to treat potential employees as dung. Even more so when they hire them as there are plenty of people that would be willing to take anything.

<SNIP>
Yes, you are. Probably for the best; the hiring manager sounds a bit scatterbrained. You'd always be cleaning up his mess. The good news is the night crew has a different manager.

Last edited:
Typical for some small employers, especially in today's market. Assuming it's aviation-related (flight school), be glad not to work for them. They will be exhibiting the same kind of "professionalism" with their students.

There are all kinds of tricks played in employment context - from collecting resumes (no intention to hire) to employers that place blind ads just to see who from their own company will apply (then find an excuse to fire them).

Your reputation is more important than the immediate job. Be glad you learned about this employer when you did.

Ny $0.02

Tristar

I didn't catch what type of work you are looking for? Are you interested in livestock?

Willie

Right how it's 30 applications to every entry level job. Employers abuse applicants.

I waited for the manager to get to me. From there he began to tell me: "Well I didn't look at your application very closely, I didn't know you wanted to work nights instead of lunch time. We're actually only looking for afternoon people and don't need nights right now. Try calling us in a few weeks." I politely smiled, said okay and walked out. Inside I was yelling, "What! you mean you called me with my application in hand, set up an interview, asked me when I was available in person and still had me read the manual before telling me they didn't need me after all?!" Sounds like a good manager to me. I didn't know how in the world someone could turn down a nights and weekends person but apparently they can.

Am I right to be a little frustrated
?

Yes you are, but by being frustrated, it only shows that you have yet to achieve one of the major steps of enlightenment, so let me help you out.

80% of the world's population with no delineating factors, all of humanity fall into this, is STUPID, and there is nothing that can be done about it, nor is it any particular fault of their own. One of the natural consequences of stupidity is incompetence. You must accept this fact into your heart. Once you have accepted that the likelihood of every interaction you have with a human will end up as some form of a Charlie Foxtrot, then when the CF comes to fruition, it is the expected result and in fact you may have already designed the work around in your head since you were already expecting it to go wrong. Stupidity and incompetence are no longer frustrating because they are the accepted norm. So, rather than being frustrated 80% of the time and neutral 20% of the time when things went as you expect them to, correctly, you can now be neutral 80% of the time when things go as expected, all f-ed up, and pleased 20% of the time when things go correctly.

This little adjustment in perception has a great positive impact in quality of life and mental health. If you expect people to be stupid, you will rarely be disappointed.

Good one Henning!

Tristan, don't let it discourage you. If the HR person is frustrating, chances are good that if you got the job it would be too.

Joe

Can you imagine working at a place that not only has a strict dress code, but one that calls for impossibly fugly attire? The vision of the white sock/flood pants thing makes one reel! The 'beard net' thrown in along with that makes it all sound like a bad joke! Count yourself lucky Tris!

I hate formal interviews...and dealing with head-hunters, etc. Fortunately, I have rarely required an interview to get a job (or three, with the same person, which was the case the last time an interview was required!). And job application forms... ("I am 47 years old, and have been working since I was 15... do you really need all of my work references, and why do you need to know the mailing address of the elementary school I attended?!") :mad3:
I can accept the stupidity; doesn't surprise me... but I hate having my time wasted when I am hemorraging money, due to lack of cash flow. Job-hunting can make you crazy.

One strategy in job-hunting that has always helped me has been to not try to hide the fact from friends, former co-workers, and even acquaintances that I am looking for work. I'll come right out and mention it, to see what happens. This can produce interesting results, whether it's a temporary gig, maybe something outside your usual field, or a nice free-lance contract, or a steady job.

Nothing beats word-of-mouth and a trusted recommendation (assuming, of course, that getting hired without "the trial by ordeal" is an even an option with the employer in question).
I have spent many many days perusing classifieds, sending our resumes, and pounding the pavement during my working life, but have never gotten a job, by those methods, that was worth going back to after the first day.
On the other hand, I have been "back-doored" into some pretty good jobs that have yielded acceptable wages, expanded my skillset and ultimately made me more employable.

It helps to broaden your search, too... if a little extra money is all you're after, it might be time to try something you've never done before.

Last edited:
Good one Henning!

Tristan, don't let it discourage you. If the HR person is frustrating, chances are good that if you got the job it would be too.

Joe

You can take that to the bank, along with what Henning said... so very true.

Can you imagine working at a place that not only has a strict dress code, but one that calls for impossibly fugly attire?

I am not a great patron of Hooters, but I can be found there on occasion. In what is probably 100 or so visits to Hooters everywhere, I have seen that uniform actually look good on 3 waitresses in an actual restaurant (not counting the professional models found at the promo events). The sad thing is many of the girls are a bit delussional. I'll ask em "So what did you think the first time you put that uniform on?" "I look Hot!":skeptical::arf::skeptical::arf::(...:no::no::no: She may very well be hot, but not in that uniform.

Nothing beats word-of-mouth and a trusted recommendation (assuming, of course, that getting hired without "the trial by ordeal" is an even an option with the employer in question).

80% of the jobs are never filled through advertising. They are filled through word-of-mouth and personal networking. Some that are advertised are only advertised due to legal requirements.

I am not a great patron of Hooters, but I can be found there on occasion. In what is probably 100 or so visits to Hooters everywhere, I have seen that uniform actually look good on 3 waitresses in an actual restaurant (not counting the professional models found at the promo events). The sad thing is many of the girls are a bit delussional. I'll ask em "So what did you think the first time you put that uniform on?" "I look Hot!":skeptical::arf::skeptical::arf::(...:no::no::no: She may very well be hot, but not in that uniform.

So, what you're really saying is that the uniforms look good as long as they're lying on the floor next to the girl? :thumbsup:

Suck it up. Lots of unemployed schlubs out there would be all to happy to work the lunch shift in tan pants and white socks. Probably lots of schlubs who'd be happy to work any shift wearing anything.

In interviews, sit up straight, dress nicely but not provocatively, and don't chew gum. Find out all you can about your prospective employer and try and sound intelligent and eager. The whole back-door thing works for some, but works less well if you aren't well inculcated in your community or your field.

Suck it up. Lots of unemployed schlubs out there would be all to happy to work the lunch shift in tan pants and white socks. Probably lots of schlubs who'd be happy to work any shift wearing anything.

"We need to talk about your flair."

Trapper John

Yes you are, but by being frustrated, it only shows that you have yet to achieve one of the major steps of enlightenment, so let me help you out.

80% of the world's population with no delineating factors, all of humanity fall into this, is STUPID, and there is nothing that can be done about it, nor is it any particular fault of their own. One of the natural consequences of stupidity is incompetence. You must accept this fact into your heart. Once you have accepted that the likelihood of every interaction you have with a human will end up as some form of a Charlie Foxtrot, then when the CF comes to fruition, it is the expected result and in fact you may have already designed the work around in your head since you were already expecting it to go wrong. Stupidity and incompetence are no longer frustrating because they are the accepted norm. So, rather than being frustrated 80% of the time and neutral 20% of the time when things went as you expect them to, correctly, you can now be neutral 80% of the time when things go as expected, all f-ed up, and pleased 20% of the time when things go correctly.

This little adjustment in perception has a great positive impact in quality of life and mental health. If you expect people to be stupid, you will rarely be disappointed.

I think Henning's math is pretty accurate.

Yes you are right to feel that way. But understand it is an employers market right now. People wanting jobs are plentiful. So companies can afford to treat potential employees as dung. Even more so when they hire them as there are plenty of people that would be willing to take anything.

And you should just consider the time spent on that place as worth it to learn you really don't want to work there. A good employer will treat their good employees just as well when the job market it tight as they do when good employees are difficult to find. The place you interviewed with obviously doesn't subscribe to that concept and this is a strong indication that it's not a good place to work.

Not just small outfits pull that kind of stuff. I interviewed at a VERY large financial institution a few years ago as a consultant - they interviewing manager kept me cooling my heels for 45 minutes past the scheduled interview time and the first thing he said to me when we finally sat down was "We've changed our mind and this is now a permanent employee position. Are you ok with that?"

My answer - "No. Good day." ... should have billed them for an hour of time after that!

Not just small outfits pull that kind of stuff. I interviewed at a VERY large financial institution a few years ago as a consultant - they interviewing manager kept me cooling my heels for 45 minutes past the scheduled interview time and the first thing he said to me when we finally sat down was "We've changed our mind and this is now a permanent employee position. Are you ok with that?"

My answer - "No. Good day." ... should have billed them for an hour of time after that!

Yep... recently interviewed for a fairly senior position for a very large, international corporation.

A week later, "We have someone who will accept a lower rate."

They had all that info before I expended a vacation day to interview.

I had a phone interview scheduled that never materialized. Later, after I'd scored a faculty position they called back very interested. It felt really good blowing them off.

Keep networking and keep thinking about what else you can do on your own. I was never good at interviews. I recall going to job fairs and the only interviews I received were from firms and positions I had no interest in--for instance restaurant management and insurance salesman. Seemed everyone saw military officers leaving the service in one light. I found I was excellent at project management and running my own business over the years. It's disheartening to see what some of my former contemporaries have settled for in the name of security.

You're very talented and a hard worker; someone will see that. Tough market right now. The last time I advertised for a position I was just overloaded with resumes. The last position I filled, I just called friends and asked around. Didn't want to do the advertising thing again.

Best,

Dave

...The last time I advertised for a position I was just overloaded with resumes.

To add perspective from another industry, from what I'm hearing, the applicants:job ratio in the legal industry right now is around 200:1.

I know some people that have advertised some paralegal positions recently (actually one in Winter Park); there were lawyers sending applications in (and not "ski bum attorneys" looking to live in ski towns, either).

Keep networking and keep thinking about what else you can do on your own. I was never good at interviews. I recall going to job fairs and the only interviews I received were from firms and positions I had no interest in--for instance restaurant management and insurance salesman. Seemed everyone saw military officers leaving the service in one light. I found I was excellent at project management and running my own business over the years. It's disheartening to see what some of my former contemporaries have settled for in the name of security.

You're very talented and a hard worker; someone will see that. Tough market right now. The last time I advertised for a position I was just overloaded with resumes. The last position I filled, I just called friends and asked around. Didn't want to do the advertising thing again.

Best,

Dave

And unfortunately and least in our locale - many of the applicants aren't looking for work as much a employer name for their "list".

marc

So I've decided to look around and find a part time job during the evening to pick up a couple extra hours. After applying at over 15 places, one company finally called today to set up an interview. We decided to meet at 3.

When I arrived, we sat down and discussed when I would be available and what kind of job experience I had. He then instructed me to read the company employee manual. This took me about 30 minutes. They had some weird policies such as "you must wear tan slacks, brown is not permitted" and "no beards permitted, if you must have one for medical reasons it must be covered with a hair net." Wow, I didn't know you could cover one with a net but okay. And lastly: "you must wear white sucks that must be seen at all times." They even highlighted it. So apparently I have to wear tan high-waters to work like grandpa? Hmm...well okay whatever works.

Afterwards I waited for the manager to get to me. From there he began to tell me: "Well I didn't look at your application very closely, I didn't know you wanted to work nights instead of lunch time. We're actually only looking for afternoon people and don't need nights right now. Try calling us in a few weeks." I politely smiled, said okay and walked out. Inside I was yelling, "What! you mean you called me with my application in hand, set up an interview, asked me when I was available in person and still had me read the manual before telling me they didn't need me after all?!" Sounds like a good manager to me. I didn't know how in the world someone could turn down a nights and weekends person but apparently they can.

This was a game. Someone was having a little fun at your expense.

This was a game. Someone was having a little fun at your expense.

You are presuming that the person is smart enough to play that sort of mind game. Most people really are just that stupid.

I think one of the worst things you can do to another person is waste their time. That is all any of us really have while we are here. To make you go through all that he did shows no consideration at all. Good thing you didn't get the job!

why would you need a beard for medical reasons?

why would you need a beard for medical reasons?

Probably for the same reason you'd need an air mattress for your permanent living room.

I wish I could get back the years of my life that I wasted with stress and unrealistic expectations before I realized this to be true not too long ago. Well, I might quibble with Henning's numbers, but the general concept is oh-so-true.

Last edited:
I wish I could get back the years of my life that I wasted with stress and unrealistic expectations before I realized this to be true not too long ago. Well, I might quibble with Henning's numbers, but the general concept is oh-so-true.

Amen!!!!!

Back