What does it take to get a callsign for a company?

SteveinIndy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
SteveinIndy
I was over at the airport earlier and overheard a conversation between a couple of guys who came in on a King Air and one of them made a comment about the jet that came in ahead of them. "What exactly does it take so we're not N_____ and could get our plane a proper callsign? I mean we're a company...how do we do that?".

So how does one do that? How much of a headache would this be? What are the requirements? I would imagine one would have to have a Part 135 operation or something similarly restrictive?

I'm not sure of the procedure, but some of the flight schools around here use a company call sign at least at their home airports.

Joe

There's an FAA Order which covers this, but I don't remember which one offhand. Your FSDO should know, and that's where you file the paperwork anyway.

I've heard you can do it with your local facility through an LOA, but it takes special paperwork through the FSDO to make it nationally recognized. The helicopter at the TV station I used to work at was called Chopper13 around central Iowa, but N13TV when we went anywhere else. I don't think you have to be 135 or 121 to get a callsign, though. As Joe said, I've heard a few flight school and Pt 91 operators use callsigns.

"Regional Approach, Pilots of America thee-hundred..." :)

I've heard you can do it with your local facility through an LOA, but it takes special paperwork through the FSDO to make it nationally recognized.

Many of the large flight schools in Daytona run that way. Even Embry-Riddle runs on just a LOA with the local approach facility. Beyond their control, and you go with the tailnumber. Never understood why they didn't take the steps to fill out the paperwork, but I assume there must be a reason.

Search POA for Ted's thread about starting his animal flights charity. Somebody asked about getting the callsign ARF, and I posted a link to the relevant procedure.

The circular says that Part 91 ops are not eligible (at least as I am reading it...just skimmed through). So I guess those guys are stuck with their N-numbers unless they want to go Part 135....

I've used "Compassion Flight" and that was most definitely part 91.

You don't need to be 135 for a callsign. There are plenty of Part 91 operations that have callsigns.

Follow-up on what Troy posted - Animal Rescue Flights (ARF) did get the callsign ARF. I don't know who did it (not me), but it didn't seem to be a big deal. I've not bothered trying to get one for Cloud Nine yet. If I do go for it, it will be when we have multiple planes and are operating a larger number of flights.

So does the use of the call sign "Lifeguard" for medevac flights provide expedited ATC response or priority?

So does the use of the call sign "Lifeguard" for medevac flights provide expedited ATC response or priority?
It does but that is not an assigned call sign like others are talking about. You just need to file an "L" before your N-number as in LN12345.

Yes, very much so. Best thing in the world is a box of eye balls when you're trying to get out of LGA.

Back