Yet again no Gastons for me, but...

Yeah, there's just something about the smaller aircraft being "real" where the bigger more automated ones make it too easy. It sounds to me like you'll have more fun being a Saab captain even if means dealing with some stupid designs and other issues.
As someone who came to automation later in life I wouldn't necessarily say that it's "easier", just "different". I still say that what is easiest is the thing that you have done most often, recently.

here's what you need ted. pretty close to a crew door and lycoming engines.

www.angelaircraft.com

carries a half ton of gas if you want it to or a half ton of dogs if you want it to.

Don't forget the Aerostar.

Been thinking about that. The door arrangement certainly is attractive. However I'm not sure I would want to take one into icing conditions, even with de-ice, and the cabin still leaves something to be desired in terms of space. One of the old engineers at my job spent a lot of time working on Aerostars, and he didn't have much good to say about them, but he was never a pilot. There's a 600 based at my airport, I should talk to the guy who flies it and see if he'll go up with me to let me try it out and look at cargo options a bit.

Interesting quote from said old engineer today. I was asking him about headsets that were used when he was doing all the in-flight testing. His response: "We didn't have headsets! Everyone one of us has hearing aids today. Why do you think that is?" I'm happy to have my Lightspeeds.

As someone who came to automation later in life I wouldn't necessarily say that it's "easier", just "different". I still say that what is easiest is the thing that you have done most often, recently.

Point taken. I'm just one of those old guys who sits on a rocking chair and tells the kids to get off my lawn, so I tend to inherently object to too much automation. Of course, I also fly 40-year-old airplanes.

here's what you need ted. pretty close to a crew door and lycoming engines.

www.angelaircraft.com

carries a half ton of gas if you want it to or a half ton of dogs if you want it to.

Looked at that... too expensive.

Last edited:
Looked at that... too expensive.

then don't pay for it. get donations. the ultimate dog hauling machine. plus i didnt say that you could afford it i said it fit the mission. big difference :)

then don't pay for it. get donations. the ultimate dog hauling machine. plus i didnt say that you could afford it i said it fit the mission. big difference :)

Good point! I'd buy one of these if I could and hire Teller to be PIC:

10302008%2045539%20AM-Beech1900D_1.jpg

Of course, then his pay would really suck from now until the end of time.

Call me wack, I like the Saab.

Good point! I'd buy one of these if I could and hire Teller to be PIC:

Of course, then his pay would really suck from now until the end of time.

I'll just keep my real job and fly it on the side, how's that? As long as you're covering gas and mx...

Call me wack, I like the Saab.
Yo, that is wack, Ja...er...Spike.

Been thinking about that. The door arrangement certainly is attractive.

Is there a decent cargo door on 'em? The crew(/pax) door allows you to get in last with a packed-full plane, but it didn't appear to be very large. Sure didn't look big enough to get the biggest kennels through. :dunno:

However I'm not sure I would want to take one into icing conditions, even with de-ice,

Yeah - The wings and tail are like knives relative to the size of the airplane. I bet it stalls fast and uses a LOT of runway...

and the cabin still leaves something to be desired in terms of space.

That plane was designed for one thing, and one thing only: To go really damn fast, especially relative to the fuel burn. It's one of those planes that looks fast just sitting on the ramp. Great if that's what you want, but as with most things aviation, there are sacrifices to be made... I've heard they're a real b*tch to fly OEI. Looking at the tiny vertical tail, I expect that is true...

I'll just keep my real job and fly it on the side, how's that? As long as you're covering gas and mx...

Deal! Now let me see if I can find enough pennies in my couch to cover that...

Is there a decent cargo door on 'em? The crew(/pax) door allows you to get in last with a packed-full plane, but it didn't appear to be very large. Sure didn't look big enough to get the biggest kennels through. :dunno:

The biggest kennels I have to take apart to remove and put in anyway, so that's less of a concern. Yes it's a pain to do it that way, but it comes back to compromises.

Shorts Skyvan. Not pretty, but lots of cargo room, and it's single pilot capable.

Trapper John

Matt - congrats on going to upgrade school... now you have to learn to fly from the left seat again!

Ted - come to Houston, I'll introduce you to our museum president's law partner, who owns both an Aerostar and a Shrike Commander. I'm sure that if you bought the gas he'd be glad to take you up in both.

PJ: Deal! I'll probably have cause to get to Houston before long...

PJ: Deal! I'll probably have cause to get to Houston before long...

Cool... you're welcome to crash at my place while you're here, if you'd like. It'll only cost you a ride in Air AzTruck ;-).

Cool... you're welcome to crash at my place while you're here, if you'd like. It'll only cost you a ride in Air AzTruck ;-).

That's pretty easy to arrange. ;)

You guys are forgetting the BEST thing about the SAAB since its made in Sweden all the Flight Attendants are members of the Swedish Bikini Team. They are listed as Required Equipment in the POH.

S4-TantalizingTakeoffs025-NorthAmerican-B-25-TheSwedishBikiniTeam.jpg

You guys are forgetting the BEST thing about the SAAB since its made in Sweden all the Flight Attendants are members of the Swedish Bikini Team. They are listed as Required Equipment in the POH.

:rofl::rofl: If only that was even remotely true...my wife would chain me to radiator!

Congrats on the upgrade Teller!

Have fun with the beta tube and sleeve...autocoarsen...CTOT...the entire electrical system :eek:

Cool Matt!! Congrats! Are you keeping the same base?

Congrats on the upgrade Teller!

Have fun with the beta tube and sleeve...autocoarsen...CTOT...the entire electrical system :eek:

Thanks! I've already started bashing my head against a few systems books, hoping that something will fall in. What an absurdly designed airplane.

Cool Matt!! Congrats! Are you keeping the same base?

Nope! I'm getting out of the Sewar(k) and heading down to Dulles. Assuming it still exists after this winter.

Nope! I'm getting out of the Sewar(k) and heading down to Dulles. Assuming it still exists after this winter.

You'll be getting lots of snow days. :D

Well if you ever get stuck at IAD we've got a spare room about 10 minutes away. Don't hesitate to ask. Oh, you're not allergic to cats, are you?:smile:

Well if you ever get stuck at IAD we've got a spare room about 10 minutes away.

Likewise if you ever get stuck at Indianapolis (IND). We don't have a spare room but you are welcome to crash on our couch.

Well if you ever get stuck at IAD we've got a spare room about 10 minutes away. Don't hesitate to ask. Oh, you're not allergic to cats, are you?:smile:

Likewise if you ever get stuck at Indianapolis (IND). We don't have a spare room but you are welcome to crash on our couch.

I appreciate the offer, guys! Unfortunately, Tim, I'm not allergic to cats, as evidenced by the massive amount of cat hair on all my clothes, thanks to my wife's retarded cat. I'll probably end up having to get a crash pad in IAD since we're going to try to stay in Virginia Beach, and I'll likely be on reserve for a while. We'll definitely have to meet up for lunch sometime, though!

I'll keep you in mind, too, Steve, but right now we don't go to IND. The closest we get is Columbus, and I won't be doing that on the Saab. I'll be enjoying scenic locations such as IAD, MGW, SCE, AOO, BKW, etc. Maybe someday I'll make it west.

Thanks! I've already started bashing my head against a few systems books, hoping that something will fall in. What an absurdly designed airplane.

Lol that's pretty much what my CFII was telling me about the SAAB. He quit Continental Express to start up his own flight school where he makes a ton more and has better hours :D

I remember him tellimg me something about the gear being very short and stiff to lower the plane so it wouldn't need exit slides on the door. Apparently that design decision doesn't mask a firm arrival :D

Thats what I'm thinking about the Q200 right now! I mean, what is this trim wheel you speak of? No electric trim on the yoke?? That little switch is the key to consistent decent landings in the Saab, just start holding nose up trim at the right time and its basically like auto-flare.

Do you know Sid Patel? Great guy. Good buddy of mine.

Indeed, I know him quite well! He pretty much makes our operation run in the evenings. And he takes me up to the ramp tower when I'm bored on a layover, which is cool.

Lol that's pretty much what my CFII was telling me about the SAAB. He quit Continental Express to start up his own flight school where he makes a ton more and has better hours :D

I remember him tellimg me something about the gear being very short and stiff to lower the plane so it wouldn't need exit slides on the door. Apparently that design decision doesn't mask a firm arrival :D

Boy, if only the gear was the worst part of its design :mad2:. I've heard that same thing, too. You can at least flare it, but it will punish you if you do it too slow or too late, I hear.

Thats what I'm thinking about the Q200 right now! I mean, what is this trim wheel you speak of? No electric trim on the yoke?? That little switch is the key to consistent decent landings in the Saab, just start holding nose up trim at the right time and its basically like auto-flare.

:rofl: The trim wheel is actually pretty nice. The Beech had them both, but the wheel was only on the CA's side. They loved having it, though. I didn't know the 200 only has manual trim. The 400 (like the saab) only has electric with no manual wheel, which took me a lot of getting used to. I'm not going to start seeing you in EWR on the 200, am I?

Now I realize that the whole airline biz is seniority based, but wouldn't it make more sense to upgrade you on the Q400? You already know the plane, and they spent all of that money to train you???

Now I realize that the whole airline biz is seniority based, but wouldn't it make more sense to upgrade you on the Q400? You already know the plane, and they spent all of that money to train you???

Yeah, I didn't realize they made people captain on an airplane they'd never flown before... Weird!

Yeah, I didn't realize they made people captain on an airplane they'd never flown before... Weird!

Yup. It's actually quite common. Does it kind of suck from a training standpoint...maybe, but it'll get me into the left seat a lot quicker than if I had to wait to have the time and seniority for the Q.

:rofl: The trim wheel is actually pretty nice. The Beech had them both, but the wheel was only on the CA's side. They loved having it, though. I didn't know the 200 only has manual trim. The 400 (like the saab) only has electric with no manual wheel, which took me a lot of getting used to. I'm not going to start seeing you in EWR on the 200, am I?
I'm not sure what smiley would be appropriate here, perhaps :mad2:, but yup, I'll be joining the fun in EWR in about 10 days.

I'm not sure what smiley would be appropriate here, perhaps :mad2:, but yup, I'll be joining the fun in EWR in about 10 days.
Oh buddy, my condolences! You're going to be hating life pretty soon, especially if this snow keeps up :frown2:. I'll have to keep an eye out for you around the Sewar pipe.

I meant to ask, Ben, is this a new job or did I just forget who you worked for?

I meant to ask, Ben, is this a new job or did I just forget who you worked for?
New job for me, I was furloughed from XJ in December, started class with this place in late January. I was lucky to not be on the street very long. But I just can't wait to dive into sewark, particularly the way this winter has been going!

New job for me, I was furloughed from XJ in December, started class with this place in late January. I was lucky to not be on the street very long. But I just can't wait to dive into sewark, particularly the way this winter has been going!

Ok, that's what I thought. Congrats on the new job, that's awesome that it happened so quick! Sewark is certainly an experience. This is my third full winter in New England, and I've never seen it even close to this. Today, for instance, the plane we're supposed to get for a 4:30 flight is just now (3:45) pushing to go to SYR. The line in Sewark for deice is over an hour and half at the moment. And they're running an EDCT program with average delays over 1:45. Welcome to the suck!

Oh ya, remember these words, you will use them often: "Bravo short of Kilo and over to ground."

Back