Atlantic Ocean

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
Hi All,
Just wondering???????
Is there a single engine airplane that would make a trip from New York to London?

If you made this trip, are you handed off by ATC to London? How does one actually navigate across the ocean?

I was looking at a Pilatus and was, as I say, "wondering."

Terry :D

Non stop? Sure, just need to mod it and get a ferry permit. Equipment not needing a ferry permit? I don't know of any with a 3000nm range. A PC-12 is about 800nm short

Even a C150* has done the trip, what is stopping ya?:D

*I'm quite serious.

I can only think of one...
Usaf.u2.750pix.jpg

He said New York to London. Not New York to Canada to Greenland to Iceland to the Faroe Islands to Scotland to London. ;)

Is there a single engine airplane that would make a trip from New York to London?

Nonstop and without modification? None (none that you're gonna fly, anyway) that I know of.

In an unmodified single, the trip would generally be done something like White Plains (KHPN) - Bangor (KBGR) - Goose Bay (CYYR) - Narsarsuaq (BGBW) - Reykjavik (BIRK) - Inverness (EGPE) - Biggin Hill [noparse](EGKB)[/noparse], for example. Those are legs of 310, 607, 675, 667, 642, and 399 nautical miles. Fairly easily do-able in something like a newer 182 (13gph, 140KTAS, and over 7 hours useable fuel, so a no-wind range of around 910nm), provided you KNOW with ABSOLUTE certainty that winds and weather will allow you to make it, and make it in - there are NO alternates for the most part... Unless you throw a ferry tank in to give yourself some extra endurance. This isn't really something you'd do for a pleasure trip, as you'd have to leave your back seats at home and have VERY little baggage space. This is what it looks like in a 172:

web.jpg

That tank will give you over 20 hours' endurance in the 172. Better take some extra sump tanks aka Gatorade bottles too. ;)

Last edited:
Hi All,
Just wondering???????

If you made this trip, are you handed off by ATC to London? How does one actually navigate across the ocean?

You don't like the Spirit of St. Louis?

How about one of these? Tom Downey may be restoring one or know somebody that owns one.

Attachments

• NC-4.jpg
    NC-4.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 15
He said New York to London. Not New York to Canada to Greenland to Iceland to the Faroe Islands to Scotland to London. ;)

Well, New York to Canada to Greenland to Iceland to the Faroe Islands to Scotland to London is New York to London. He didn't say New York nonstop to London. For that matter, KJFK to KLOZ or KLGA to CYXU would be New York to London as well.

Well, New York to Canada to Greenland to Iceland to the Faroe Islands to Scotland to London is New York to London. He didn't say New York nonstop to London. For that matter, KJFK to KLOZ or KLGA to CYXU would be New York to London as well.

It is implied when he asks if ATC hands you off to London. Why would ATC hand you off to London if you were going to Greenland or Canada or Iceland first?

(and yes, I know that ZNY does not hand you off directly to Gatwick or Heathrow approach)

It is implied when he asks if ATC hands you off to London.

No it isn't.

Why would ATC hand you off to London if you were going to Greenland or Canada or Iceland first?

(and yes, I know that ZNY does not hand you off directly to Gatwick or Heathrow approach)
Then what ATC are you referring to?

It is implied when he asks if ATC hands you off to London. Why would ATC hand you off to London if you were going to Greenland or Canada or Iceland first?

No it isn't.

Then what ATC are you referring to?

FWIW, I read it the same way Ed did.

As for navigating across the ocean- I imagine people use GPS now. Are there any LORAN chains working out there? They used to use dead reckoning and sextant navigation until they got to land.

Hi All,
Just wondering???????

That's just short of the trip Lindberg took some 80 something years ago.

Here's one that could do it and then some:

Hmmm, an engine fore and aft. I'm not certain that shutting one down for the majority of the flight counts as single engine...

To stay with the single engine requirement. Yeah, this had good legs.

:D

Attachments

• messerschmitt-me-163-komet.jpg
    messerschmitt-me-163-komet.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 17
Single engine piston planes make this trip all the time, just not non-stop. All you need, if I remember correctly, is about 600 mile range to make the hops. Whether the OP meant non-stop or not I'll leave to them. Maybe they hadn't considered that there were places to stop along the way?

Why go to Greenland first? It's only 372 nm from KFRG to CYXU. :raspberry:

And...I know KLOZ has a decent on-field restaurant for $100 Hamburgers (that's actually one of the menu items)

Anyone crazy enough to do one via Azores, where my folks live...

I have seen c182, mooney and even air tractors.

Back