Thanking tower controllers

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
The tower controller at Greenville, Donaldson was especially helpful Christmas evening. I called the controller to let him know and asked if I should call the tower chief. He said that would be wonderful. The tower chief asked that I send a writing and this is what I sent along. Probably don't do enough of this.

Best,

Dave
====================================================

I'd like to point out the wonderful job the tower controller did Christmas evening when I flew in from Bartow Florida. When I departed Florida, the forecast for your facility was 3,500 overcast and clear above. It was night, but the weather was otherwise clear; I could see ground lights the entire route even though on an IFR flight plan. Earlier in the trip, the auto pilot quit working, so, I was hand flying as a single pilot.

About 30 minutes out, I lost the right alternator and along the way, the left tach indicator was intermittent. So, I had some distractions. When Atlanta turned me over to Greer, I heard Greer reporting 1400 RVR at GSP. That caused me to query the controller about Donaldson and he reported fog was rolling in and ceilings were quickly dropping. As I descended, I went into instrument conditions and was turned over to your controller in Donaldson Tower.

It was very reassuring to hear his voice and he promptly provided the latest weather. I asked if the approach lights were on and he advised me they were on and all the way up. I couldn't see a thing until about 400 above ground on the ILS5 approach; so, it was wonderful for him to assure me the lights were on and working. As I continued down, he informed me there wouldn't be any problem getting in once under the ceiling as he could see both ends of the runway.

Hand flying, cross checking with the distractions mentioned above kept me very busy and hearing the controller assure me the lights were on and visibility was good under the ceiling was very helpful and allowed me to focus on the approach and flying the plane.

About 400 feet AGL, I could see the approach lights sequencing; about 300, the threshold and runway became visible. When the RADAR altimeter sounded 200 feet, I clearly had the centerline and runway in sight and was descending to make the landing.

I thanked the tower controller for his briefing. He may not have understood how helpful his words were, but it eliminated a lot of issues over which I would have had to be concerned had he not given the briefing he did. Had the tower not been manned, I wouldn't have known if the approach lights were properly working and on until I was below the fog; late in the approach.

I appreciate the great job this controller did and would like to mention that I have been treated excellently at Donaldson by all tower personnel. It's wonderful to work with the professional there and very helpful when coming in alone on an instrument approach near minimums.

Thank you very much and please give thanks to Richard Cummings for being there on Christmas and acting so professionally.

Best regards,

Dave Siciliano
Flying Baron N322KS

Great letter, Dave. You're right, we should all take the time to thank the people who help us out, whether it's in the normal course of their duty or oing above and beyond.

Y'know, there's never a shortage of people willing to ****'n'moan when things don't go well, but praise seems to be hard to come by in these cynical times.

Nice work, Dave.

:cheerswine:Dave, as usual you're a class act.

Couldn't have said it any better.

Good controllers like that need more thanks.

A letter for a specific instance is a great idea -- well done, Dave.

I agree that lots of "If workload permits?" and "Thanks" help make it better all around.

:yesnod:

I thank ATC every time I use them.
Me too, and in this case, I think the letter was a great touch. Those guys work hard keeping track of everything and deserve our thanks.

They were real nice when I flew out and back in today, but they always seem to be here at Donaldson.

Another thing I did was give the line fella that fixed the broken wire to my alternator a gift card to Red Lobster/Olive Garden. He didn't charge me but I wanted to show my appreciation; especially during the holidays.

Best,

Dave

It is easy to gripe about poor service, I'm glad to see others who remember to say "job well done " once and a while too. . Job well done Dave. Dave

Another thing I did was give the line fella that fixed the broken wire to my alternator a gift card to Red Lobster/Olive Garden. He didn't charge me but I wanted to show my appreciation; especially during the holidays.

Definitely good to do that. I've had a couple of times when line guys have done work for me and not charged for it, sometimes outright refused to even take a tip. I make sure they at least get a pizza. :)

I thank ATC every time I use them.

I do too. I will thank the enroute guys and gals too when using flight following... 99.9% of the time I have had outstanding service. The guys here at Jackson Hole tower have gone way above and beyond the call of duty during my ongoing testing of my experimental. I make sure they all get rides whenever they want, provide extensive tours around the valley for new controllers so they can get a "feel" of the reporting points, IAF, FAF etc... I have written a few letters showing my appreaciation and so has alot of other pilots,twice they were picked as tower of the year by SERCO... I do make sure they get something in their stockings at Christmas too...

Happy New Year guys and gals.

Ben ' happy to still be alive" Haas

:cheerswine::cheerswine::cheerswine::cheerswine:

Last edited:
Ben, that's outstanding that you do that for the controllers as well and a great idea. I'd bet a number of controllers get to an area and don't really understand what the various reporting points mean.

In my view, anyone in the tower, aprroach or departure are the reliable "lighthouses" of the air. And so my thanks and gratitude go out to them, - Also when I am not flying. That is when they are assiting my fellow pilots get safey to their destination. To our guardian angels of the airwaves - Thank You for a wonderful 2009 and have a great 2010 !

Definitely good to do that. I've had a couple of times when line guys have done work for me and not charged for it, sometimes outright refused to even take a tip. I make sure they at least get a pizza. :)

It's probably also worth putting in a favorable comment on Airnav with a specific reference to the time and circumstance. I know that lots of FBO managers check the comments regularly and it can't hurt an employee's career to be the source of written public positive feedback.

+1

I always throw them a Thanks for the help, G'Day. It does not take up but a split second.

I save the thanks for times when I've gotten extra help but always terminate the contact with G'Day etc. unless congestion suggests this might not be appreciated.

I always throw them a Thanks for the help, G'Day. It does not take up but a split second.
Me too, unless they seem unusually busy or I hear other aircraft calling and being asked to standby.

BTW this is as good a place as any for a shout out to the DTW Approach controller who happened to be there when I was trying to field test the new Mode C encoder in the 172 I'm doing my IR training in on Tuesday. He reads this board and posts occasionally. Thanks, Tom.

It's probably also worth putting in a favorable comment on Airnav with a specific reference to the time and circumstance. I know that lots of FBO managers check the comments regularly and it can't hurt an employee's career to be the source of written public positive feedback.

I agree, and another thing that I can do if on a dog flight is write a thank-you letter from Cloud Nine. However in one case I was specifically asked not to do that because they guys helped me without charging me, writing up a ticket, etc. They should be commended, but didn't want their boss finding out and getting angry. I don't blame them - in the past I've done the same.

I'm a Controller and a pilot. I always try to be nice and say thanks whether I'm sitting in my Controller chair or the seat of my airplane. Either way I feel I'm pretty lucky to be doing what I'm doing and I figure there are plenty of people that would trade places with me.

I thank controllers whenever I get the chance. If the field is slow, I will even offer rides to those willing.

I had a good relationship with the Denver TRACON controllers from the mapping days when I would get in their way a lot. I always thanked them for their help. They remembered me even when I went on to a different job and different airplanes. Now they have mostly all retired and I'm not.... :confused:

Nice job, Dave. I always try to thank the controllers I work with on a regular basis, especially when they grant a request or are able to issue a shortcut to make my life easier and more efficient.

When my dad used to fly for the state of NY, he would always send cookies and catered food to the towers at the airports they often transited around the holidays. It is a nice way to thank the folks who do a great job to keep us safe. Just don't forget to write your tail number on the package when it gets delivered. :D You never know what extra service you may get. A pleasant encounter and a brief "thank you for your help" can go a long way, and a nice treat or two around the holiday can go equally as far, if not farther.

Have a safe and happy New Year.

Best,
Jason

I'm a Controller and a pilot. I always try to be nice and say thanks whether I'm sitting in my Controller chair or the seat of my airplane. Either way I feel I'm pretty lucky to be doing what I'm doing and I figure there are plenty of people that would trade places with me.

Good to see you on here again, Rick... Now you need to go edit your signature and avatar to reflect your new bird! :yes:

+1

When I did fly, the gang in the Raleigh Tower/Approach had my deepest thanks and respect. Washington & Atlanta Center never steered me wrong. I'm not sure the VFR crowd can fully appreciate how much us those of us in IFR conditions appreciate not only the voice, but the professionalism of the controllers.

When I get less than perfect service, I just chaulk it up to controllers being human and their conditions aren't always conducive to being that.

Back in my surveying days, we always made it a point to go visit the local controllers for our job area and get some face time with them. They were rather appreciative that we did that and in the end they worked wonders for us as we flew photo lines at 3000 feet across final and departure at 'quiet' places such as SkyHarbor. I've had controllers hold departures out of Las Vegas so we could fly up and down the Strip, military guys work us in and out of restricted areas, and Denver center vector airline traffic around us so we could fly lines from Wyoming to New Mexico. Being friendly/and thankful goes a long way.

Back in my surveying days, we always made it a point to go visit the local controllers for our job area and get some face time with them. They were rather appreciative that we did that and in the end they worked wonders for us as we flew photo lines at 3000 feet across final and departure at 'quiet' places such as SkyHarbor. I've had controllers hold departures out of Las Vegas so we could fly up and down the Strip, military guys work us in and out of restricted areas, and Denver center vector airline traffic around us so we could fly lines from Wyoming to New Mexico. Being friendly/and thankful goes a long way.
Do I know you? I also have a long history doing aerial survey and a lot of time in Lear 35s...

And I live in CO.

Y'know, there's never a shortage of people willing to ****'n'moan when things don't go well, but praise seems to be hard to come by in these cynical times.

Nice work, Dave.

Agreed.

A letter goes a long way.

The tower controller at Greenville, Donaldson was especially helpful Christmas evening. I called the controller to let him know and asked if I should call the tower chief. He said that would be wonderful. The tower chief asked that I send a writing and this is what I sent along. Probably don't do enough of this.

Best,

Dave

As someone else said, you are a class act. Controllers, contrary to what some pilots believe, are not there to screw with us. They really need a thank you every once in a while and probably far more often than we do it. What you did is what makes the bond between controllers and pilots, bizarre and faceless as it may be, stronger. Thanks!

I've only called the tower once, and that was to ask why I was told to go-around. Turns out an airplane crossed the runway but didn't get all the way across the hold short line (on the other side) so technically the runway was not clear.

I thanked him for keeping us all separated. We have a great group of controllers at our airport, hopefully someday I'll be able to go meet them.

I suggest everyone calls the tower at least once in their life.. That is to ask for a tower tour and meet the guy/gals up in the cab. They are really a great bunch and I am betting 99.9 % of the time they will welcome you up into their 'world'. It is something you need to witness so you can appreaciate how the whole system works.

Just my opinion of course.

Ben.

I suggest everyone calls the tower at least once in their life.. That is to ask for a tower tour and meet the guy/gals up in the cab. They are really a great bunch and I am betting 99.9 % of the time they will welcome you up into their 'world'. It is something you need to witness so you can appreaciate how the whole system works.

Just my opinion of course.

Ben.

It is my hope that more and more CFI's would encourage this. Especially at the student's home airport and the tower controlled fields being flown to during training.

It would be an excellent opportunity to gain appreciation as to what the controllers do and how they do it. And to provide understanding as to what radio call and when really helps the controller to help the pilot.

I know when I start my training, I am going to ask for a tower tour.

Back