Best photo depicting icing on a light aircraft

ApacheBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
ApacheBob
Who can help me find the thread with the best photo of a light aircraft with icing (hopefully after landing safely!)?:yesnod:

Not sure what you're looking for exactly, but here's some from my personal stash.

Attachments

• IMG_3564.JPG
    IMG_3564.JPG
    390.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3571.JPG
    IMG_3571.JPG
    506.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3548.JPG
    IMG_3548.JPG
    834.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_3761.JPG
    IMG_3761.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3762.JPG
    IMG_3762.JPG
    836.7 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3764.JPG
    IMG_3764.JPG
    850.6 KB · Views: 63
Matt, just out of curiosity, I the output of the WX radar enough to melt the ice on the radome?

He may not have had it on (not to answer for him). I landed at Esterville with similar ice buildup on the nose of the Aztec, but I didn't have the radar on. I only turn the radar on when I have some reason to believe I might need it, which ends up being summer (unless there's some means of using it for ice detection that I wasn't previously aware of).

I've only got one picture that's not very frightening. It was some rime buildup that didn't want to come off entirely, so that still stuck on. at its worst it was about a 1/2" layer across the whole wing. Also had some building up on the engine nacelles. Another time when I've got another pilot with me I'll get some better pictures.

Attachments

• DSC_0588.JPG
    DSC_0588.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 107
Not exactly a "light" aircraft but...

Attachments

• TKS FAIL.jpg
    TKS FAIL.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 107
Matt, just out of curiosity, I the output of the WX radar enough to melt the ice on the radome?

Short answer, I don't know. Long answer, I don't think so. I can't think of a time that we would have had the radar on in icing when we wouldn't have either descended through either warm air or liquid precip. If the wx is bad enough to pack the ice on the dome, though, I doubt the radar could do much to take it off. That's purely an uneducated guess, though. The ice is enough to mess up the radar signal, though, I do know that from experience.

Found another one. This is our highly advanced ice detect probe. This is pretty much as big as the ice can get on this little thing before the wind breaks it off, but it's a good early indication of accretion, especially since we can't see the wings all that well from the cockpit.

Attachments

• Q ice probe.jpg
    Q ice probe.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 86
Here's two.

Attachments

• icing-wing1.jpg
    icing-wing1.jpg
    585.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Icingduh.jpg
    Icingduh.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 84
Wow, that's purdy. I love the title of the photo! What type is that?
Haha. I thought the title was pretty apt too. It's a Hawker 800 which was a nice airplane with the exception of the TKS system. Now I'm back to bleed air which I prefer 100 times more.

Posed during checkride, what is your answer:

The bleed air on one side is broken, and the crossfeed is out (yeah, they like unlikely scenarios) and you are getting serious icing.

Melt one wing or not?
(Ie chose between one wing clean or no wings clean)

Posed during checkride, what is your answer:

The bleed air on one side is broken, and the crossfeed is out (yeah, they like unlikely scenarios) and you are getting serious icing.

Melt one wing or not?
(Ie chose between one wing clean or no wings clean)

No chance. Leave it all off and fly fast until the nearest suitable.

Short answer, I don't know. Long answer, I don't think so. I can't think of a time that we would have had the radar on in icing when we wouldn't have either descended through either warm air or liquid precip. If the wx is bad enough to pack the ice on the dome, though, I doubt the radar could do much to take it off. That's purely an uneducated guess, though. The ice is enough to mess up the radar signal, though, I do know that from experience.

While the output power rating of airborne radar sounds like it should be enough to roast a small chicken, the number they give is the peak power of an individual pulse. And since the duty cycle (percentage of time actually transmitting) is a tiny fraction of one percent, the average transmitted power is something link couple hundred milliwatts which won't even melt a couple snowflakes very quickly.

While the output power rating of airborne radar sounds like it should be enough to roast a small chicken, the number they give is the peak power of an individual pulse. And since the duty cycle (percentage of time actually transmitting) is a tiny fraction of one percent, the average transmitted power is something link couple hundred milliwatts which won't even melt a couple snowflakes very quickly.

Well there ya go. So if we hot wire the radar, we could use it for deice until it burns itself up (in which case it becomes anti-ice, I suppose), otherwise, no way.

Well there ya go. So if we hot wire the radar, we could use it for deice until it burns itself up (in which case it becomes anti-ice, I suppose), otherwise, no way.

I think you'd have better luck putting a Kicker subwoofer in the nose and feeding it some loud rock music.

I think you'd have better luck putting a Kicker subwoofer in the nose and feeding it some loud rock music.

:rofl:

On the next episode of "Pimp my Plane"...

0705tr_04_z+2006_dodge_ram_megacab_diesel+kicker_subwoofers.jpg

My friend and I were ferrying a C337 and C172 respectively. KBGR to Goose Bay leg, my friend encountered moderate ice while being vectored for the BC approach. I elected straight in ILS in light of this information...ILS was with tailwind and managed to get cleared from Cruise at 11000. Note the difference. Had to literally chip my friend out of the 337.:rofl:

Attachments

• 337 ice.bmp
    37.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 337 ice 3.bmp
    37.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 337 ice 2.bmp
    37.2 KB · Views: 12
  • c172 goose.bmp
    37.1 KB · Views: 11
I've got some shots of the Arrow I was flying when I got caught in freezing rain in TX. Almost didn't make it out of that stupid mistake. They're buried around here somewhere, and I'd have to scan them into the computer.......digital cameras didn't really exist back then. (well, if they did, I couldn't afford one)

Saw this on BeechTalk.com today; a T210, in flight. I think this qualifies as "a load of ice".

attachment.php

Attachments

• T210L-iced-up.jpg
    T210L-iced-up.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 190
Yewoza, that's a decent amount of ice. I can't tell whether that plane has boots on it or not? From this angle it kinda looks like it.

I wonder how the pilot felt about that while it was building up. :)

Yeah really, an uncomfortable pucker factor which could leave a sheep wool seat cover smooth...but nothing a pint of beer can't fix :cheerswine: Good Times!!

That 210 ice is "rime", right? milky in appearance.

Looks like clear to mixed to me. It's not 100% clear, but it has some opaqueness to it that comes from the mixture of rime and clear. Straight rime has more of a bumpy texture look to it. The picture shows more of a glazed layer of ice.

Last edited:
That looks like clear to me. It's opaque, but smooth. Remember if you hold up an ice cube it's not necessarily clear like glass. When I've had rime ice it's more like packed snow and rougher. The little line of ice I got on the Aztec over Lake Michigan a few weeks back was extremely smooth, but opaque. I classified it as clear. That stuff looks pretty smooth, too. I found this illustration:

page093-1.jpg

I could be completely wrong, though. Bruce? Lance?

Trace ice on a C172 wing at night, as photographed with a cel phone camera.

Attachments

• Ice.jpg
    Ice.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 37
Back