Google wave

So I got it. 12 invites left. who wants it?

Jeez, I was just reading about it this morning. I still don't really understand it,even with the explanation of the dudes who developed it.

Let me try and explain to the rest of you who dont know what WAVE is. This is the future of the internet, This will take over all forums and blogs within 2 years. Trust me. Start a popular wave, and that could become a popular viral video/forum/blog entry of the day, No need for forums when waves support real time collaboration, with real time key strokes. Chuck, Adam, Integrate Now :)
here is a LOOONg video of the future,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_UyVmITiYQ

I dont know how long it takes for an invite to become an account, I do know that you will get moved to the top of the list, simply because they want you to be able to collaberate with friends. That being said. If I give you an invite, I would like you to add me to your list. azpilot@googlewave.com
good luck guys and gals! hurry up they are going fast. if u get my invite, please reply here so others can get in.

Last edited:
sign me up!

sccutler (at) gmail (dot) com

LTNS.... (scours brain, fails)...

Well, it is by golly good to have you back, ol' Mooney Man!

Jeez, I was just reading about it this morning. I still don't really understand it,even with the explanation of the dudes who developed it.

The simplest way to explain: It's a framework for tracking changes and interactions around certain objects.

So, imagine we are working on a flight plan together. (work with me, here).

I invite you to the Google Wave. Right now, it just looks like a simple chat.

Then, I import a flight plan template, via Google Docs.

You and I work on filling out the flight plan template together, changing various fields.

We realize we have no clue about our passenger, who has just finished cutting her grass in Williamsport, PA. So, we invite her to our wave.

She joins up, and sees our conversation, and our flight plan. If she so chooses, she can "rewind" the wave and watch how our conversation and our changes to the Google Doc. She realizes that one of us got the airport code for Williamsport wrong, so she changes the doc -- and comments to us what change she's made. Additionally, she provides us the information we need in the flight plan.

We end the wave, and off you go to Williamsport. That, alone (the collaboration, rewind/fast forward, etc) is pretty cool.

Sorry for the SAP-ese, but this may help explain:

At its core, Google Wave provides a framework for capturing the context around collaboration -- the discussion, the players, and how they interacted with object you are collaborating on. This framework can be extended to use custom agents (known as "robots"), that you can invite to the conversation as you work on items together. So now you can use this framework on all sorts of applications.

We are currently looking to use it for a whole host of supply chain and forecasting processes -- things that are highly collaborative and involve a great deal of discussion, collaboration, and interaction with many systems across many people, in a repeatable fashion that allows us to capture the true collaboration (interaction with people and systems) over and above the current collaboration we have (working on a shared document together and producing a finished work product)

Cheers,

-Andrew

Thanks for the explanation Andrew.

I may look to incorporate this into my website. Very cool.

PS - My family has ridden in the Pan-Mass Challenge for a number of years. Glad to see your involvement.

Interesting. The instructors of the MIS 'capstone' course are doing research on this type of thing right now. They have us using 'LiveScribe' pens for our in-meeting note-taking so they can walk through our thought process after-the-fact.

Michael, if you have any invites left, I'll take one: aviatorjones (at) gmail (dot) com

Sounds like the Segway of the interwebz to me.

At least 2 people received their Wave accounts today. Check your email to see if you have an invite waiting for you.

If you have any left, dawg, I'd love one.

I am a Google Junkie.

At least 2 people received their Wave accounts today. Check your email to see if you have an invite waiting for you.
Perhaps if those people also get a number of invites they might see fit to burn a few of them here.

I appreciate the sharing.

Joe

Perhaps if those people also get a number of invites they might see fit to burn a few of them here.

I appreciate the sharing.

Joe

I wouldn't mind one of those.

randy.epstein

Nick and Joe, you should see yours in a few days.
The rest of you should have it today if i invited you.

If any of the get-ees end up with invites of their own, would you share the love and send me an invite?

We realize we have no clue about our passenger, who has just finished cutting her grass in Williamsport, PA. So, we invite her to our wave.

We end the wave, and off you go to Williamsport.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I seriously doubt that.

I concur....while this has some good applications, I am not sure the forum/blog arena is where it will flourish.

I seriously doubt that.

I agree. Wave is clearly a huge shift on the collaboration side -- I see Wave + Google Apps directly dethroning the nightmare that is SharePoint -- but it won't replace email, blogs, or other communication mechanisms. It may change how some blogs publish... but not the vehicle.

Cheers,

-Andrew

I agree. Wave is clearly a huge shift on the collaboration side -- I see Wave + Google Apps directly dethroning the nightmare that is SharePoint -- but it won't replace email, blogs, or other communication mechanisms. It may change how some blogs publish... but not the vehicle.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Only dethroning SharePoint as it relates to those organization that do not care about having their information "in the cloud".

I utilize Sharepoint a lot and I simply do not find it a nightmare. As a matter of fact it is surprisingly easy to use.

Only dethroning SharePoint as it relates to those organization that do not care about having their information "in the cloud".

I utilize Sharepoint a lot and I simply do not find it a nightmare. As a matter of fact it is surprisingly easy to use.

I'm biased -- because I'm in the middle of leading a 15,000 seat global Google Apps migration -- but the cost, lock in, and usability sucked compared to what Google is offering. And the cost differential, well... amazing.

Cheers,

-Andrew

It is a nightmare for those who have seen how it could work a la Google.

Yes, there are security issues with using Google applications. But the functionality and interface simply put Sharepoint to shame. I use both for different reasons and I am simply :mad2: every time I have to utilize our Sharepoint sites. I mean the calendar is absolutely painful and the meeting workspaces are laughable.

Reading this after reading your Mobile use policies makes me scratch my head.

Honestly, Sharepoint just flat out sucks. But its in place in most places these days, so from the technical standpoint, its pretty much a necessity.

I yearn for the day that someone comes out with a comparable solution that will work. Google wave might just do that.

Reading this after reading your Mobile use policies makes me scratch my head.

Honestly, Sharepoint just flat out sucks. But its in place in most places these days, so from the technical standpoint, its pretty much a necessity.

I yearn for the day that someone comes out with a comparable solution that will work. Google wave might just do that.

I'm not scratching my head over his comments. As we apparently cannot have both decent, intuitive web 2.0 functionality AND security, he defaults to security, as do most IT professionals I'd wager. The end user will continue to :mad2:

I'm not scratching my head over his comments. As we apparently cannot have both decent, intuitive web 2.0 functionality AND security, he defaults to security, as do most IT professionals I'd wager. The end user will continue to :mad2:
His corporation has slightly different security requirements then a lot of corporations.

Back