The Things You Remember

Len Lanetti

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Lenny
For some reason unknown to me the old teletype routing address of the AFB where I spent 3+ years popped into my head (RUCLEFA)...I must have typed that letter combination at least a million times from 1976 to 1979. Anyway, for yucks I Google RUCLEFA and a bunch of messages for Homestead AFB FL pop up on the screen. It looks like the 31st TAC Fighter Wing is still stationed there. Funny the stuff you remember. It appears that the format of messages hasn't changed much in 25 years.

Len

This crazy South Beach stuff seems to be bringing you back to your past....

32.52, 117.09 - INS nav location for NAS Miramar ... had to punch that into the NAV system before every flight. Don't know why it's still stuck in my head after all these years, and I hope my wife doesn't see this, since I can't seem to remember anniversaries, birthdays, etc ... nor my high school locker combination, which I can't seem to ever remember in a too regular dream standing in front of the locker struggling to open it, late for class...

Last edited:
Len Lanetti said:
For some reason unknown to me the old teletype routing address of the AFB where I spent 3+ years popped into my head (RUCLEFA)...I must have typed that letter combination at least a million times from 1976 to 1979. Anyway, for yucks I Google RUCLEFA and a bunch of messages for Homestead AFB FL pop up on the screen. It looks like the 31st TAC Fighter Wing is still stationed there. Funny the stuff you remember. It appears that the format of messages hasn't changed much in 25 years.

Len

Phone number to Kennedy Space Center Launch Control, 867-5309. For some reason I can't get it out of my head, it is like a bad song or something :D

smigaldi said:
Phone number to Kennedy Space Center Launch Control, 867-5309. For some reason I can't get it out of my head, it is like a bad song or something :D
Oh GREAT!!! Now it's stuck in MY head! Somebody please make them stop singing!!!!! :D
Of course, if we could attach .wav files, this would be the perfect spot to "click here"

Ken Ibold said:
513 898 4246

My (party line) phone number when I was 4.

EVergreen 9-1540 at the house where I grew up.

my home phone growing up.........really easy forward or backwards 475-4574

I also have my drivers license no. stuck in my head.....lets see I've been driving for 38 years now.

waking up after my accident (three weeks later) and asking if I still had all my teeth.......go figure. very strange.....

The spades go tulips together, tie them together, bring back my love to me.

Toby said:
WAlnut 1-2658 at my house.

Can't recall my home number from back then but my best friend's was PIlgrim 2-4687.

My grandmother's number was CUmberland 9-0356. When she finally sold her home and moved to an apartment she still had the original rotary Bell Telephone that was hardwired into the wall, black and heavy as a cinder block. I'd love to have that phone today. Phones today just aren't worth a darn.

Edit....jeez did I type that...I'd better go home and tell the kids I used to walk to school up hill both ways.

Len

Oh and from the same time period..

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.
The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs back 1234567890 times.

Len

NNNN

Len Lanetti said:
Oh and from the same time period..

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.
The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs back 1234567890 times.

Len

NNNN

Ah yes the old fox test.

Bring back any memories??
tn_m28_jpg.jpg

First Phone No. (I was young) SHerwood 5-1780 All you had to do was dial the last 4 digits of anyone else in your exchange. I had to explain "dial" to my 7 year old about a month ago. We looked up a picture of a dial telephone to show her what I meant.

My EX wifes SS Number (for some reason) We've been divorces 25 years this month. Her home adress and phone number that she lived at until 1974.

My first car's Serial number a '72 240Z HLS30-65682 License GA CGD-347.
My second car's Serial number a '73 240Z HLS30-139208.
Every phone number I've ever had.

Most of the part numbers I used at Digital Equipment Corp. ( I left in 1988)

Hmmm......
Numbers, numbers, numbers.......
Now just where did I leave my car keys????:dunno:

187214 the serial number of my M16 from when I was in the service and had to carry a weapon every day.

Also 149 my access badge number whne I needed to get into on of the secure areas that I worked.

My first license plate number (1975) ERZ 950. I have no idea what my current license number is.

My grandmother's phone number 3-3083 (that was before the need to dial a prefix). Then it became 863-3083. We moved a year ago and I don't remember the old phone number (which we had for seven years).

The N-Number of every airplane I've ever owned, except the current Citabria which I can NEVER remember - even when I'm flying it. I also remember my father's 172 N-number: N6098R. RIP.

My wedding date 5/24 - since I numbered my Rans N524CG. Before that I could never remember if it was March or May.

When I die they really need to do some research on my brain and see what can be done to avoid a repeat.

Jenny Jenny who can I turn to?

Jenny I got your number; I'm gonna make you mine!! da dum da dum da dum da dum..

O5352075--my Army SSAN before SSAN.

PH7 FPZ License. Know DL; All AC numbers owned. 17041 Lorenz Avenue, Landsing, IL--address when wee. ED -3 (Edison) was our exchange.

Amazin!

Now if I could just remember all my PIN numbers when I need 'em!!

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Now if I could just remember all my PIN numbers when I need 'em!!
And user names and passwords for all the websites!

smigaldi said:
Ah yes the old fox test.

Bring back any memories??

Ah yes IBM 36 (?)...we actually only had two of them. Most of the teletypes were WWII vintage Klienschmidts. You see them in old war movies all the time....two big green boxes with the same yellow "canary" paper.

Len

Keith Lane said:
Most of the part numbers I used at Digital Equipment Corp. ( I left in 1988)

So you'd know what an 11-730 was.

Our small company started development of our software system on one of those (purchased used) with a 5 or was it 10 meg removable hard drive.

Len

Now I'll be singing it all night...

Len Lanetti said:
I do! Fondly remember "the BIG box" when it got rolled in next to the PDP-11! And then we added an 11/780 next to it and we were livin' LARGE!!! Betcha I still have my DECUS membership card somewhere in my piles o stuff.

For the old Deccies amoung us ... a trip down memory lane!
http://research.microsoft.com/~gbell/Digital/timeline/quiz.htm

Len Lanetti said:

Our small company started development of our software system on one of those (purchased used) with a 5 or was it 10 meg removable hard drive.

Len

Actually our company
has an 11/730!!!
We used it to run a Fortran train sim, till we started running it on pc's. About 1000X faster. Wonder if that VAX will boot????

gkainz said:
I do! Fondly remember "the BIG box" when it got rolled in next to the PDP-11! And then we added an 11/780 next to it and we were livin' LARGE!!! Betcha I still have my DECUS membership card somewhere in my piles o stuff.

For the old Deccies amoung us ... a trip down memory lane!
http://research.microsoft.com/~gbell/Digital/timeline/quiz.htm

Puleeeeee, NO trips down Memory Lane.
Believe it or not my first wife's name was Memory......
I direct you to see MY LAST name.......

Keith Lane said:
Puleeeeee, NO trips down Memory Lane.
Believe it or not my first wife's name was Memory......
I direct you to see MY LAST name.......

Please tell me she had a nickname :)

Carol said:
Please tell me she had a nickname :)

Nope, and still doesn't to this day. She is on husband three now. We didn't speak for 11 years, and 8 of those she still used my last name even though she was married (to someone named Kaplanski, maybe that's why). We keep in touch nowadays though. The hatchet being well buried.
Even funnier is our first mailing address. 3953 Easy Street, Macon, Georgia:yes:

Edit: Thought I'd add a funny looking picture of the lovebirds in 1974. Aaaahhh, if I'd known then what was going to happen.............
And look at that hair!!!!!!!!!!!
Still got it all, just LOTS shorter now. How did I ever stand that?

Last edited:
lancefisher said:
Jenny, Jenny... Shoot, now it's stuck in my head too.

Jenny, I got your number.
I need to make you mine.
Jenny, don't change your number,
8-6-7-5-3-0-9, 8-6-7-5-3-0-9
8-6-7-5-3-0-9, 8-6-7-5-3-0-9

Jenny, Jenny, you're the girl for me.
You don't know me but you make me so happy.
I tried to call you before but I lost my nerve.
I tried my imagination, but I was disturbed.

Jenny, I got your number,
I need to make you mine.
Jenny, don't change your number,
8-6-7-5-3-0-9 (8-6-7-5-3-0-9)

I got it, I got it!
I got your number on the wall!
I got it, I got it!
For a good time, for a good time call....

Jenny, don't change your number.
I need to make you mine.
Jenny. I'll call your number,

Jenny, Jenny who can I turn to? (8-6-7-5-3-0-9)
For the price of a dime I can always turn to you.
(8-6-7-5-3-0-9)
5-3-0-9
5-3-0-9
5-3-0-9
5-3-0-9 (//fade out//)

Alan said:

Now I'll be singing it all night...

Ugh. Me too.

I can't remember anything, not on any diets at this time.

OK Len. What's Greenwood 7-5319? Sang in a little jingle.

Anthony said:
OK Len. What's Greenwood 7-5319? Sang in a little jingle.

The number for Geno's steaks or the Tastykake factory?

I don't know, you've got me on that one.

How about

"Sunday, Sunday, Sunday all the Kings are coming."

Len

Keith Lane said:
Wonder if that VAX will boot????

I'm sure it will.....from the how do you know you're running VMS....you haven't booted the machine in 3 years and the only reason you did was because the boss tripped over the power cord.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
I'm sure it will.....from the how do you know you're running VMS....you haven't booted the machine in 3 years and the only reason you did was because the boss tripped over the power cord.

Len

Your probably right.
I remember when Lockheed - Georgia got a pair of VAX 11/785's and our install guys had them up and running in 2 days. Configured like the customer wanted. Around the same time Lockheed had also purchased an IBM 3090, a HUGE monster. It took them almost 2 MONTHS to get it up and running. And Lockheed had to buy the IBM machine as a package, take it or leave it. DEC, at that time had cafeteria pricing.
Ken Olson, the founder, kinda ran DEC like a family hardware store, though, and ultimately it was the company's undoing. We were in a hiring freeze when I hired on, and remained on one the whole time I was there (5 years). The company grew from 85,000 people to >100,000 people during that freeze. Nobody EVER got laid off. When the "board" wanted to close the Atlanta Customer Support Center against his wishes, he threatened to quit the chairmanship and cash in his $90,000,000.00 in stock. They couldn't afford that and backed down.

Ahh Scott: mixed emotions 'bout seeing these words. Don't you know you're just supposed ta hum and say da dum where the words aren't clear!!

Don't tell me you have the actual word to Louie Louie!!:hairraise:

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Ahh Scott: mixed emotions 'bout seeing these words. Don't you know you're just supposed ta hum and say da dum where the words aren't clear!!

Dave

Louie Louie, me gotta go. Louie Louie, me gotta go. A fine little girl, she wait for me. Me catch the ship across the sea. I sailed the ship all alone. I never think I'll make it home. Louie Louie, me gotta go . Three nights and days we sailed the sea. Me think of girl constantly. On the ship, I dream she there. I smell the rose in her hair. Louie Louie, me gotta go. Me see Jamaican moon above. It won't be long me see me love. Me take her in my arms and then I tell her I never leave again. Louie Louie, me gotta go."

1160 5th Avenue - address where I lived until I was 5 years old, 54 years ago.
4611 North A Street - grandparent's address at the time.
"Bruce" - name of the boy who sat in front of me in 1st grade and who wore a spaceman costume to school one day.
"Capital 7 1234, Broadway the cab you don't wait for" radio jingle from the '50s.
414 - dormitory room number 42 years ago.

Oh, those wasted synapses!
- Richard

Dave Siciliano said:

Dave

The Kingsmen (1955)

Louie Louie Lyrics

CHORUS:

Louie Louie, oh no
Me gotta go
Aye-yi-yi-yi, I said
Louie Louie, oh baby