Violence at Home

One Short

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Barb
I was sitting at home this morning, drinking coffee and minding my own business when a fight broke out in my backyard. I was tempted to call the cops but decided to take matters into my own hands. Justice, however, is not swift and the sentence I imposed on these young males is going to have to wait until November 15th.(at least if they continue to hang around here) :D
Barb
(the last picture is just to prove it happened in my yard)

Attachments

• Violence at Home 1.jpg
    Violence at Home 1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Violence at Home 2.jpg
    Violence at Home 2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Violence at Home 3.jpg
    Violence at Home 3.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 73
  • Violence at Home Proof.jpg
    Violence at Home Proof.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 69
Barb, those are cool shots! Do they make any kind of noise when they do that?

Cool beans! I assume there were a few does standing around as well. Usually women are the cause for these types of outbursts.

Those look like 1-2 year olds. Have you seen the 'Papa' around there?

Barb, those are cool shots! Do they make any kind of noise when they do that?

You can hear the clattering of their antlers when they hit. I have a hard time hearing their grunts so I don't no if they do that when they fight.

Cool beans! I assume there were a few does standing around as well. Usually women are the cause for these types of outbursts.

Those look like 1-2 year olds. Have you seen the 'Papa' around there?

No women this time. It was just a gang of three punk kids. They weren't real serious about brawling........yet.

Most of the deer in my area are 1 1/2 year olds. It is rare to see anything over 2 1/2 years as we have a lot of hunting pressure around here. But every once in a while a monster walks through. The nice thing about my place is that the way the terrain funnels through here, I think every deer in the county walks by the house at least once in their lives. :yesnod: A little earlier there were a pair of does and a pair of young bucks hanging around and later a family of does went between the house and barn. I waste a lot of time just looking out the windows here.

Barb

Most of the deer in my area are 1 1/2 year olds. It is rare to see anything over 2 1/2 years as we have a lot of hunting pressure around here. But every once in a while a monster walks through. ...

Same here -- but the smart ones learn how to hide, and use the does and younger bucks to take point.

I walk around Clarksburg, WV at lunchtime each day. Wednesday I was walking up a steep hill, when to the left I saw two bucks -- one was 180 or so 6point, the other was easily 250+ 10 point.

I could see back yards behind them, hear dogs barking, and I was on a road.

I'm thinking the big guy will make it through this season, too.

Same here -- but the smart ones learn how to hide, and use the does and younger bucks to take point.

I walk around Clarksburg, WV at lunchtime each day. Wednesday I was walking up a steep hill, when to the left I saw two bucks -- one was 180 or so 6point, the other was easily 250+ 10 point.

The first time I hunted my place, I didn't shoot a huge buck. I had buck fever so bad, I couldn't swallow my own spit because my heart was stuck in the back of my throat. He walked about 20 yards broadside of me. A week later we found him dead. Someone had taken a 300 yd running shot and gut shot him then lost him. He was a 10 point with a 22 1/2 inch inside spread! I got buck fever again just looking at his antlers.

Barb

No women this time. It was just a gang of three punk kids. They weren't real serious about brawling........yet.

Most of the deer in my area are 1 1/2 year olds. It is rare to see anything over 2 1/2 years as we have a lot of hunting pressure around here. But every once in a while a monster walks through. The nice thing about my place is that the way the terrain funnels through here, I think every deer in the county walks by the house at least once in their lives. :yesnod: A little earlier there were a pair of does and a pair of young bucks hanging around and later a family of does went between the house and barn. I waste a lot of time just looking out the windows here.

Barb
Sounds like a tough life, we are all gratefull you are willing to take one "for the team". Good Job! DaveR

The first time I hunted my place, I didn't shoot a huge buck. I had buck fever so bad, I couldn't swallow my own spit because my heart was stuck in the back of my throat. He walked about 20 yards broadside of me. A week later we found him dead. Someone had taken a 300 yd running shot and gut shot him then lost him. He was a 10 point with a 22 1/2 inch inside spread! I got buck fever again just looking at his antlers.

Barb

There's no explaining that to those who haven't experienced it.

:)

Though archery hunting -- both still hunting and rattling/calling -- has provided the best hunting moments (and all within 500 yards of my back deck).

last weekend on my property, has a female friend

can you see him?

Attachments

• P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    608.2 KB · Views: 43
I need to find enough cash to buy my archery tags. Hunting fever getting to me and would like to fill the freezer.

Forest rats. They think my wife plants flowers just for them. Population density (people) is high enough that my neighbors would rightly come unglued if I thinned the herd a bit with anything making more noise than a bow and arrow.

Attachments

• DSCF3096.JPG
    DSCF3096.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • DSCF3099.JPG
    DSCF3099.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
Forest rats. They think my wife plants flowers just for them. Population density (people) is high enough that my neighbors would rightly come unglued if I thinned the herd a bit with anything making more noise than a bow and arrow.
All I can say is that they're apparently still so unusual or pretty that you take pictures of them! :)

nothing wrong with that approach (bow and arrow). I'm heading to South Dakota next month for that very same approach. Putting 50 lbs of antelope sausage, sticks and jerky in the smoker tonight, and drooling over the thought of venison sausage next month.

nothing wrong with that approach (bow and arrow). I'm heading to South Dakota next month for that very same approach. Putting 50 lbs of antelope sausage, sticks and jerky in the smoker tonight, and drooling over the thought of venison sausage next month.

Good luck on your hunt. I hope you fill the freezer up. Enjoy the hunt.

Here is a pic of one right outside the house on my buddy's ranch in CO...

While I was cooking breakfast on the deck, I was able to count at least 9 trophy caliber bucks, all within 200 yds. The largest was a 7 point (14 point to you Easterners)

Attachments

• 100_0177.JPG
    100_0177.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 24

Just make sure that the deer don't die in your neighbor's yard. Leaving the gut pile on their front lawn may be bad form :D.

Just like us guys we fight and 5 minutes later we are going for a beer together.

I waste a lot of time just looking out the windows here.

Don't blame you, I would too!

This time of year I get deer on my property all the time. Can't shoot them, though (local regs). Too bad, as that would make finding dinner for the next couple months pretty easy.

Here is a pic of one right outside the house on my buddy's ranch in CO...

While I was cooking breakfast on the deck, I was able to count at least 9 trophy caliber bucks, all within 200 yds. The largest was a 7 point (14 point to you Easterners)

Whoa, I wouldn't mind seeing some like him in my backyard!

Barb

Yup. I call 'em Rats with Antlers. Between them and the friggin' bunny rabbits it's amazing we have any landscaping at all.

And along those lines, pigeons are Rats with Wings.

Last edited:
Yup. I call 'em Rats with Antlers. Between them and the friggin' bunny rabbits it's amazing we have any landscaping at all.

...and all the bleeding hearts around Valley Forge won't permit any hunting. :mad2:

Spend some time in the woods on trails and you'll find NO vegetation below 7 feet or so. I've found dead fawns in the winter while mountain biking back there. :frown3:

Isn't it legal to shoot deer even out of season if it is on your own land? You'd think I'd know that, being from WV, where the first day of Hunting Season is a day schools are closed, but...I've never actually *been* hunting...

Isn't it legal to shoot deer even out of season if it is on your own land? You'd think I'd know that, being from WV, where the first day of Hunting Season is a day schools are closed, but...I've never actually *been* hunting...

Depends on the state -- some states have "Crop damage" provisions. The law gets sticky in states without such provisions -- who is going to prosecute and how? The PA Game Commission prosecutes some poaching cases, but the total catch might be 5% of all poachers.

Nope, not in VA. Have to get a special permit if you're experiencing crop damage. But we do tend to find "suspicious" dead deer on our farm property out of season.......our neighbor with the vineyard has a HUGE dislike of deer.......

Yup, when we were in London in '99 at Trafalgar Square, we were told by the locals that they call the pigeons (which were EVERYWHERE) "wing-ed vermin".

I refer you to Liz' picture of the pigeon on the statue's head, him holding his face in despair, although hers was taken in Paris.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skywalkerbeth/483829167/in/set-72157622230994201/

The previous mayor of London hated them. Somehow (the method escapes me right now) he managed to get rid of them. When I was at Trafalgar Square in August pigeons were few and far between. It was a distinct improvement.

Back