Anyone here play bagpipes?

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I'm trying. Just got my first set in the mail today. I'm not sure if I set it up right, so was wondering if anyone can help. The drones all sound, but the chanter will not sound at all. It was sounding but as soon as the pressure in the bag exceeded a certain pressure, it stopped, so I figured I had to adjust the reed.

Now, it doesn't play period. I went back to a brand new reed, and it doesn't play either. Its gotta be something simple I'm missing....

I should point out that the drones are working, and sounds cool....but hard to play the pipes with just the drones ringing :)

Last edited:
Well, I got the chanter going. I really suck at this. Sounds like a squeaking duck that is being slaughtered....MP3 coming soon :D

My senior year at Berklee I inherited a set, so (to make things tough on the school) I changed my principal instrument from voice to bagpipes and made them find me a teacher for my weekly lessons. Fortunately I'd already done my required proficiencies as a vocalist.

You've never suffered until you've heard "Autumn Leaves" or "Shiny Stockings" played badly on the bagpipes.

My set was destroyed in a flood a few years ago (perhaps a sign from God?), otherwise I'd try them out again now that I have a daughter who would find it amusing.

My senior year at Berklee I inherited a set, so (to make things tough on the school) I changed my principal instrument from voice to bagpipes and made them find me a teacher for my weekly lessons. Fortunately I'd already done my required proficiencies as a vocalist.

You've never suffered until you've heard "Autumn Leaves" or "Shiny Stockings" played badly on the bagpipes.

My set was destroyed in a flood a few years ago (perhaps a sign from God?), otherwise I'd try them out again now that I have a daughter who would find it amusing.

Well, maybe you can help me then. I can't seem to get the drones tuned. When they seem like they're about to go in tune, the reeds stop playing (as if they're closed too much). But they're fine when the drones are out of tune...

Why yes, I do. Ibold and I play the pipes every year at Oshkosh. Diana plays the triangle. It's a sight to behold.

Think plaid.

Bring them to Gastons, Nick. Everyone will want to hear how your training has progressed. In keeping with Scottish tradition I suggest a predawn piping up and down that roadway to rouse everyone from their beds!
:D

Why yes, I do. Ibold and I play the pipes every year at Oshkosh. Diana plays the triangle. It's a sight to behold.

Think plaid.

That's awesome Chip. Its a real ***** to start with. Not to be cocky, but this is the first instrument I've tried that I didn't pick up within a few hours of trying.

I gave in and decided to do the whole "Goose" thing with the drone holes stoppered. I can play the scale, but I can't seem to not push so damn hard my thumb feels like its gonna break. I have giant hole marks on each finger.

I took off the kilt a while ago. I was excited to have a reason to wear it, but now I think its gonna be a LOOOOONG time before I'm ready to actually say I'm playing music.

Bring them to Gastons, Nick. Everyone will want to hear how your training has progressed. In keeping with Scottish tradition I suggest a predawn piping up and down that roadway to rouse everyone from their beds!

I'm game. If I'm good enough (and if I'm there). What say y'all....5:00 am?

Is it just me or is someone else thinking that this would have made a great pro wrestling persona..... The Mad Scot Piper Piper Pilot :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Pete

Nick, I have wanted to learn ever since being in the "Highlanders" where my barrack's mate was the piper and I got to fool around with them. Seven years ago we made a trip to Scotland and I splurged on a genuine, Scottish hand made set of pipes (no ivory or silver - too expensive; as it was they were around $750. We were living in Florida at the time and I picked up an instructional CD, book and practice mouth piece for the chanter, and practiced in the evenings intending to take lessons. 5 months later I moved to Chicago with a total almost 4 hour commute each day and just never had the time to continue. They're sitting in the closet and I intend to pick them up again when I retire.

In college, our resident Scot would occasionally get all likkered up, dress up in full Scots attire, and go piping down the center of the main drag between several of the dorms at full volume ... at 4am. It is amazing he didn't get killed by the FOD coming out of the windows. Keep this in mind for your Gaston's perambulation. Some people don't like to hear squealing ducks in the middle of the night.

-Skip

I always thought bagpipes were tortured, not played?

Do you need to moisten the reed in the chanter?

Nah, actually, I just needed to separate the reed a bit. I got it going, but decided that playing with the drones and the chanter is too much right now (seeing how I've never even used a practice chanter). So I am playing the "Goose," where I have the drone pipes corked, and just blowing up the bag and playing the chanter by itself. Its hard, my fingers hurt, and today, my jaw is killing me. But its totally worth it.

The reason I blocked off the drones is because it takes so much air to blow both the chanter and the drones, it was killing me.

I can do the scales up and down after one day. That's a good day for the most difficult instrument I've started to learn yet. Maybe by tonight, I will be able to do a little ditty or something.

Nah, actually, I just needed to separate the reed a bit. I got it going, but decided that playing with the drones and the chanter is too much right now (seeing how I've never even used a practice chanter). So I am playing the "Goose," where I have the drone pipes corked, and just blowing up the bag and playing the chanter by itself. Its hard, my fingers hurt, and today, my jaw is killing me. But its totally worth it.

The reason I blocked off the drones is because it takes so much air to blow both the chanter and the drones, it was killing me.

I can do the scales up and down after one day. That's a good day for the most difficult instrument I've started to learn yet. Maybe by tonight, I will be able to do a little ditty or something.

We should work on a banjo/bagpipe duet. If anyone knows accordion perhaps we can get a trio going for Gaston's

We should work on a banjo/bagpipe duet. If anyone knows accordion perhaps we can get a trio going for Gaston's

Would love it, but again, it's gonna be a LOOOONG time before I'm ready for that. We could do a guitar/banjo duet though :D I'm good for that!

ALL HAIL NICK!!!!

Man, am I proud and jealous of you. I have wanted to learn the bagpipes for years. Other than teaching myself basic rhythm guitar 20 yrs ago, I haven't really tackled musical instruments since middle school. Sheet music is, well, not Greek to me, since I can read Greek. More like Arabic. I can't believe I used to read it fluently (sheet music, not Arabic). Scales? Good luck.

I, for one, support your cause and would willing to listen to your playing, no matter how unpracticed. Good on you!!

ALL HAIL NICK!!!!

Man, am I proud and jealous of you. I have wanted to learn the bagpipes for years. Other than teaching myself basic rhythm guitar 20 yrs ago, I haven't really tackled musical instruments since middle school. Sheet music is, well, not Greek to me, since I can read Greek. More like Arabic. I can't believe I used to read it fluently (sheet music, not Arabic). Scales? Good luck.

I, for one, support your cause and would willing to listen to your playing, no matter how unpracticed. Good on you!!

Lol, if you want to hear it, simply find a squeaky door. Take a cat, and put it in the way of the squeaky door. Slam the door about 30 times. To reproduce the out of tune drones, have 3 people hum nearby at the wrong pitch while doing it.

Soon, soon.

Lol, if you want to hear it, simply find a squeaky door. Take a cat, and put it in the way of the squeaky door. Slam the door about 30 times. To reproduce the out of tune drones, have 3 people hum nearby at the wrong pitch while doing it.

Soon, soon.

O.K., I tried as you requested above. The door quit squeaking when the cat grease spilled on the hinges. Was I suppose to move the cat before slamming the door 30 times? Now, tell me again what I do with the three people standing in my bathroom? :dunno:

I took off the kilt a while ago. I was excited to have a reason to wear it,
Oh man, but the image is horrifying!:hairraise: PLEASE put it back on!:yes: I'm afraid I know what you were(n't) wearing under it!:rofl:

Utilikilts or the real deal?

Real deal, although I want to get a Utilikilt. Mix the American with the Scottish in me.

But there's nothing better looking, IMHO, than wearing the good ol' Kerry County plaid. That's my history.

I wear kilts the way they were meant to be worn.....

Its true.
funny-pictures-cat-sees-under-kilt.jpg

Can't believe I missed this one...

I'm a grade 3 piper, have won multiple gold medals in competition and I instruct on the pipes for the local pipe band. I also play and instruct on the snare in our band.

I have a bad feeling you bought a set of pakistani pipes, which are ALL complete trash.

Do they look like this?

bagpipes-rose.gif

If so, they may make some good firewood, but not much else.

You'll need to start on a practice chanter, and won't be touching the pipes for at least 3 months after you start on the practice chanter. If you're really interested I can find a band and/or instructor in your area. No matter your experience (I don't care if you're a better musician than Bach), you will get nowhere on the pipes without an instructor.

I always recommend the McCallum Long polypenco chanter, found here http://www.thepipershut.info/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MBMCCALLUM_LONG_POLY

Then you'll also need to pick up the College of Piping Tutor here http://www.thepipershut.info/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=COP_V_1

EDIT:

I found you an instructor in Albuquerque. This is a world champion band that offers lessons, probably free. http://www.hdpd.org/

The pipe major's (guy in charge) email address is hyperpiper10@yahoo.com

They'll get you going.

Almost every band is hurting as far as membership, I'm sure they would welcome you with open arms.

Last edited:
Nick, I missed this the first time around. I love bagpipes.

Here are some bagpipe photos!

One was in London in February, the others are in Normandy on D-Day.

3301920364_1140112503.jpg

3913403187_70714d32a7.jpg

3913403751_e7042938fc.jpg

Ten years ago upon another visit to Normandy I drove past a lone bagpiper who looked like he was just piping to an open field. No photo, although I wish I had stopped to listen.

Yep, they're Pakistani pipes.

Unfortunately, I lack the requisite strength in my right hand to be able to continue to try to pipe, and have not touched them in a long time. If I ever get to the point where I feel that I may be able to do it again, I have an instructor picked out (I work with him right now), but in all honesty, I don't think its going to happen :(

C'est la vie.

Amazing. I figured all the bagpipe players got government contracts to play for the residents at Camp Gitmo.

Back