Any hunters around?

Jberg440

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Justin
Just seeing if any you guys are getting ready for the fall? I know im ready to let some arrows fly!

Archery elk and deer season opened last week here, muzzle loading in 2 weeks ... I drew elk and deer regular rifle, so I have to wait another month ... can't concentrate at work, not shaving, not eating, my neck is swelling up, pawing the ground and rubbing my head on trees ... I think I'm overdue to get out to the woods! :)

I hunt all three deer seasons; archery, black powder and gun.

Archery opens here in 2 weeks. Our farm is in the unit that is allowing 3 deer/day, but only 3 bucks all season, due to significant population.

Nice! Here in Colorado you "generally" have to choose one season per game animal; archery or black powder or regular rifle. There are alternatives thru a bunch of finagling to get secondary or tertiary tags thru leftovers, private land hunts, etc. But, in general, thru our draw system, you get to "pick one". :(

I guess I need to get better at working the options, because I really love all those types of hunting. On the other hand, any more hunting seasons might precipitate serious pay-backs at home. Every hunting trip I take usually requires a corresponding trip to some beach down south somewhere to balance out the fairness doctrine at home. :)

Sadly, I will be unable to afford the hunting licenses this year. I was looking forward to being out in the woods packing my bow again this year. Sigh. Good luck to all of you who do get out this year. Let me know how it went.

I quit subsidising the native American tribes here in Wa. thru the license fees we non native pay to hunt.

I found it cheaper to hit one with a car. The insurance companies pay for the car repairs, and you get to keep the animal with out a hunting license.

I have taken 6 elk with a bow, and three with a rifle.

I miss going hunting, so I just go camping, and let the state try to prove that I am hunting.

I gotta wait till the 19th of sept the do my part and thin the whitetail herd. Rite now im doing "recon" ;) work during my flight lessons on local goose populations.

Yep, definitely ready and yes girls hunt too :). Even my neck swells when I see big deer :), But I'm also fortunate in that I hunt something pretty much year round. But deer season is still my favorite.

Good deal, Joyce. We have a couple girl folk that hunt with us almost every year. Both are daughters of members and it's a great bonding event for both sides.

None for me. I put in for archery elk, archery antelope, rifle deer. All in AZ...no luck drawing a tag. Also put in for rifle buck in ND...no luck. I guess its not my year.

Hey Joyce - heck yeah! Girls hunt, too. I've seen your pics!!! :)

My little niece, 5'2 and eyes of blue, maybe 95lbs in full gear, bagged her Black Hills elk before her 17th birthday. Took a buffalo, too (ok, Bison, for you purists - I'm still arguing with some dunderheads on that one. "Yes, I know 'technically' it's a bison - get over it!)

Last edited:
I hope to be doing my first deer bow season this fall here in Iowa. I usually do shotgun (slug) deer season and black powder deer here in Iowa as well as pheasant as much as I and the dogs can find time. Year before last, I did the late doe-only rifle deer season as well.

We're hoping to do a Iowa Canada goose and South Dakota pheasant hunt this fall as well.

You guys out west make me jealous from time to time..

:raspberry:

We have Elk in Pennsylvania, but the lottery is for 10 slots (or so).

Bear hunting here is a good time (though only 3 days).

Archery deer season is best here -- it's real hunting. I love scouting and figuring out daily movement patterns, and then calling the bucks in!

I hunt the first day of rifle season but after that the bucks go nocturnal and hide in some off limits swamps.

Some day I'll spring for a 1750-era fusil de chasse flintlock and go hunting the way my ancestors did. (Although a Pennsylvania Long Rifle is a possibility! We lived in Lancaster County just a few miles from Martin Mylin's house where some of the first Pennsylvania rifles were made.

You guys out west make me jealous from time to time..

Then take a hunting trip out west! Yeah, I was spoiled when I lived in CO.

We have Elk in Pennsylvania, but the lottery is for 10 slots (or so).

Guess the herd isn't that big yet, but I hear they are doing well.

Looking forward to some PA Whitetall hunting now that I'm back.

Then take a hunting trip out west! Yeah, I was spoiled when I lived in CO.

The $1500 non-resident fee for MT was a bit steep. Add in the transport, outfitter, etc and that trip will have to wait.

Guess the herd isn't that big yet, but I hear they are doing well.

Looking forward to some PA Whitetall hunting now that I'm back.

There are lots more than I realized!

This $10.70 application is for the random drawing (to be held in September on a date yet to be determined) to purchase one of 59 licenses (20 antlered, 39 antlerless) for the November 2-7, 2009 season. (source http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=471&q=161500)

Archery elk hunting is just about the biggest thrill I've ever had at 0' AGL. Hunkered down into a hiding spot with hopefully enough cover to hide in but enough shooting lanes, then seriously interesting or pi$$ing off a bull elk with a tin whistle (ok, yeah, they're not tin) and intentionally making him hone in on your exact spot while he's coming in looking for lovin' or fightin' is just the ultimate in adrenalin rush. Dang, I'm getting goosebumps just writing this (and wishin' I was "out there" - looking west to the mountains out my window - instead of "in here" - looking at these sad, gray cubicle walls).
tell me this doesn't make your heart pump!!! (not my video, but a good one)

Second biggest rush I get is spring turkey hunting. Talkin' turkey makes me smile!

Last edited:
tell me this doesn't make your heart pump!!! (not my video, but a good one)

Hole - lee - crap! That is awesome! And the other bull calling in the background just adds to it. Are elk that blind that it really didn't see the guy behind the tree?

just wiggle an eyebrow in the open at 300 yards to see how blind they are. Or get upwind of them at 800 yards to see how poor their sense of smell is....

just wiggle an eyebrow in the open at 300 yards to see how blind they are. Or get upwind of them at 800 yards to see how poor their sense of smell is....

That's why I was surprised to see how close it got to the guy sitting behind the tree, but didn't really seem to pay any attention to him.

I've heard Moose (?Meese? ;)) are severely blind, but didn't think Elk were in the same situation.

with camo, no movement, and being on the right side of the wind, one can do this. One little movement or wind swirl and they're gone, 2 yards or 200 yards.

The guy filming and calling is behind the guy hunkered down, so that helps draw the bull's focus somewhat past him.

Last year I called a bull to within 10 yards, but he circled around to my side where I couldn't see him because of a tree trunk on that side of me. He shut up about 40 yards out and came in silently. I could sense something was there - the hair on the back of my neck was standing up (literally). I turned my head very slowly and leaned it forward past the tree trunk. We locked eyeball to eyeball at 10 yards and he whirled and disappeared - split-second reaction on his part.

Last edited:
Whitetail bucks have supernatural sense -- except during the rut. They can walk right by you while on a mission elsewhere.

The real trick is being out there when the rut is on.

with camo, no movement, and being on the right side of the wind, one can do this. One little movement or wind swirl and they're gone, 2 yards or 200 yards.

The guy filming and calling is behind the guy hunkered down, so that helps draw the bull's focus somewhat past him.

Last year I called a bull to within 10 yards, but he circled around to my side where I couldn't see him because of a tree trunk on that side of me. He shut up about 40 yards out and came in silently. I could sense something was there - the hair on the back of my neck was standing up (literally). I turned my head very slowly and leaned it forward past the tree trunk. We locked eyeball to eyeball at 10 yards and he whirled and disappeared - split-second reaction on his part.

OK.. I'm hooked - where do I sign up? :D

Whitetail bucks have supernatural sense -- except during the rut. They can walk right by you while on a mission elsewhere.

The real trick is being out there when the rut is on.

That's why I'm hoping to get in on some bow hunting this year - so I can work the rut. I got a young 6-point last year by tracking for a couple of days and figuring out his travel paths. Then just sat and waited for him to come back through. I think he was in a second rut in December - when he came down the path, he had his head hunkered down like he was looking or sniffing for something in particular. ;)

That's why I'm hoping to get in on some bow hunting this year - so I can work the rut. I got a young 6-point last year by tracking for a couple of days and figuring out his travel paths. Then just sat and waited for him to come back through. I think he was in a second rut in December - when he came down the path, he had his head hunkered down like he was looking or sniffing for something in particular. ;)

Once a season I see "Old Yello"-- a big (250+) fair tined bruiser that gives me one good shot. The last three seasons I've come as close as drawing back and then -- see ya!

OK.. I'm hooked - where do I sign up? :D

http://wildlife.state.co.us/ShopDOW/AppsAndLicenses/

I've seen bucks trail like a bloodhound - nose to the ground and making tracks!

Not everyone out west is spoiled. My dad got an archery bull elk tag this year...1st one in 7 attempts at the lottery. None for me

Back