Complex / High Performance

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
I am thinking about getting my complex / high performance.

Typically how many hours does it take to get it?

I just recentely received my tailwheel in 3.1 hours, and figured I might as well get that too.

jangell said:

I just recentely received my tailwheel in 3.1 hours, and figured I might as well get that too.

I'm hardy a reference for standard as it took me a lot longer than most to get my PPL, but I got my Complex in just under 2 hours. No High Performance yet.

jangell said:

Mine was dictated by club insurance requirements for renting the Arrow. 10 hours dual. Circa 1980; at that time Complex and High Performance were the same endorsements.

Jim

Last edited:
Mine was also dictated by the club's insurance req, which at the time was 5 hours for the endorsement, which back then was combined. We accomplished the task in <2 hours, then flew a trip I needed to make to eat up the remaining minimum.

Last edited:
jangell said:

The time is usually dictated by the insurance carrier for the airplane in question. When I bought my 177RG my insurance company (AIG) required 5 hours dual and another 5 hours solo before carrying passengers.

I don't know of any time requirements for the endorsements themselves.

Jeannie

I did them separately. My hi-perf was in a C182S and it took two flights (maybe 2.5 hours)? The complex was in a Saratoga with my instructor. It might have taken longer except that I studied up a lot beforehand, and I already had the hi-perf endorsement. I think it took three hours.

I did the checkout as part of the training for the commercial license. At the time a 200HP Arrow counted for both high performance and complex. Insurance at the FBO required 10 hours of dual to fly the Arrow solo.

Another way to meet the requirements that other folks used was....an hour or so "check out" in the aircraft with an instructor and then they flew it as part of their instrument dual training to gather the required time for insurance purposes.

Len

Typically an hour or so of ground work and a couple-three hours in the plane should be enough for the average pilot of P-ASEL/IA quality with a couple of dozen or more hours in a "similar" plane (e.g., Archer to Arrow for complex, or 172 to 182 for HP) to perform well enough for an instructor to sign the FAA endorsement. Whether a club or FBO has a larger number required to solo the plane is another issue, and the instructor should not withhold the endorsement for those extra hours if the trainee meets spec per 14 CFR 61.31.

Ron Levy said:
a club or FBO has a larger number required to solo the plane is another issue, and the instructor should not withhold the endorsement for those extra hours if the trainee meets spec per 14 CFR 61.31.

Ron,

Very good point!

Never know when you'll come across the chance to log time while building the hours required for insurance.

Len

I needed 5 hours Dual for insurance reasons. I recall being comfortable with both (I used a Piper Arrow PA 200 R) in 2 or 3 hours. I "grew up" in Piper Warriors, so the transition was not that different as far as handling. Getting used to the gear and prop procedures took some time.

Steve said:
With little prior HP/complex time, my wife needed 5 hrs dual and 10 hrs solo prior to carrying passengers. So, consider this an upper limit.:frog:
Was that an insurance requirement or just what she needed to feel comfortable?

jangell said:

Just out of curiosity, where did you do this?

And are you now able to rent their taildragger?

Fly safe!

David

MauleSkinner said:
Just out of curiosity, where did you do this?

And are you now able to rent their taildragger?

Fly safe!

David

KSYN

Yes I can rent them.

1 hour for the high performance, 5 hours for the tail wheel (but 15 to solo because of insurance). About 5 hours complex 30 years ago.

Insurance/club rules required 5 hours dual in the 182 to solo and 10 hours dual / 100 hours TT to solo in the Arrow. High perf and complex endorsements were then signed off. Could they have been done earlier? Yes. Would there have been a point to doing so? Not at the time. I was flying a lot during my sabbatical (a nice benefit from Intel every 7 years) and wouldn't have needed the endorsements prior to being able to solo the club aircraft anyway.

Back