Diana had surgery today

bbchien

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bruce C
If any of you remember, today was the day, Diana was to have her Rotator Cuff repaired.....

One day at a time, Diana.

The first day post-op will be tough. While not an advocate of pain killers, be sure to take them as prescribed and stay ahead of the pain curve to make things bearable. This is especially true if you had a 'block'.

Good luck with recovery and rehab! It does get better from here. :yes:

She should be able to cook and wash dishes in a few days. It will take a bit longer to do big loads of laundry and she will be required to vacuum, iron clothes and take out the trash with her other hand for a few weeks. Things should be back to normal soon.

Too funny Wayne.

Seriously. Speedy recovery Diana! Six weeks with an arm in a sling ain't fun.

Gosh, thanks, everyone! You guys are so nice. :yes:

Ouch. Diana, hope it heals quick. Will be hard to swing that parachute pack on for a while..

Oh, I forgot about how much they weigh. 14# is heavy. Might be awhile before aerobatics.
Or flip the mag switches.
Oh, those darned mag switches! Why did they put those there when they first designed the Champ? That hurt more than anything else I had to do before the surgery. It probably won't be any easier for awhile.

One day at a time, Diana.

The first day post-op will be tough. While not an advocate of pain killers, be sure to take them as prescribed and stay ahead of the pain curve to make things bearable. This is especially true if you had a 'block'.

Good luck with recovery and rehab! It does get better from here. :yes:

Thanks, Kevin. :) I hear that you, unfortunately, have a lot of experience with shoulder surgery.

I'd not heard about that block until yesterday. When the CRNA was explaining it to me, I asked if that meant I wasn't getting a general, with a panicked look on my face. :eek: Then I asked if it was merely redundant, then to use that block, considering the possible side effects. See how clueless I was? :D She just smiled. :D

It's wearing off now :eek: (I was a late surgery). Off to take more pain pills.

Thanks again, Bruce. :)

Another wish for your speedy and complete recovery. How long have you been suffering with the shoulder problem?

You can keyboard again already! You will be looping and rolling again in no time. Glad it went well Diana.

Rick

Speedy recovery Diana. Rehab will be important. When I had my surgery rehab was too long but well worth it.

Another wish for your speedy and complete recovery. How long have you been suffering with the shoulder problem?
Thanks, Lance! Well, it's been hurting for several months and the pain has gradually been increasing in intensity, so, even though I swore I'd never have surgery, I was ready. Checking the mags was hurting more and more all the time, and I had been asking my back seat passengers to do it for me (I always looked back to make sure they were on right before take-off), even at Gaston's. Fortunately for me, a nice man came by and asked if he could take me flying in the Citabria while at Gaston's, so I got a nice break and a very relaxing, carefree flight. :)

You can keyboard again already! You will be looping and rolling again in no time.
If I could only figure out how to put on the Hooker Harness so it wouldn't hurt. ;)
Glad it went well Diana.
Thank you. :)

Speedy recovery Diana. Rehab will be important. When I had my surgery rehab was too long but well worth it.
Dustin, did you have your shoulder done too? Was it a rotator cuff? You probably didn't have an easy rehab with all those kids to take care of.

Diana,

Best wishes for a quick recovery. Glad to hear surgery went well.

I've been off the board for a couple of days - went up to N66 to visit Cooperstown - a trip where GA shines brightly.

Bill

Diana: Don't listen to Wayne. Just tell Tom you are afraid you won't be able to beat off the snakes one-handed! He will have to take care of the dishes and vacuuming and laundry because you might accidentally knock a snake off on him!

I'm glad to hear the surgery went well. Rest and get well soon.

Stacey

Dustin, did you have your shoulder done too? Was it a rotator cuff? You probably didn't have an easy rehab with all those kids to take care of.

It was not a rotator cuff but a torn muscle in the rotator cuff area. Some arthritis broke off and was lodged in the shoulder area. The surgery was performed in late 2003. It was hard with the kids but my mother assisted me during that time. Rehab was harder than what I thought it would be after not moving the shoulder for a length of time. I was glad to get the use of my right arm back, lol.

Diana,

Best wishes for a quick recovery. Glad to hear surgery went well.
Thank you, Bill. :) Hey, we were hoping that you'd be coming by this way for the farm fly-in, but I guess it didn't work out this time. We hope you'll come back by this way sometime. :yes:

I've been off the board for a couple of days - went up to N66 to visit Cooperstown - a trip where GA shines brightly.

Bill
I'm not familiar with that area. What's up there? It sounds like you enjoyed it. :)

Diana: Don't listen to Wayne.
:D I've learned to take Wayne with a grain of seasoned salt. :D

Just tell Tom you are afraid you won't be able to beat off the snakes one-handed! He will have to take care of the dishes and vacuuming and laundry because you might accidentally knock a snake off on him!
:D You remember my snake. :) There are more snake stories yet to be told. :D

I'm glad to hear the surgery went well. Rest and get well soon.

Stacey

:) Thanks! Today isn't going as well. I'm already weary of not being able to dress myself and I'm sore in new areas, plus the old ones.

It was not a rotator cuff but a torn muscle in the rotator cuff area. Some arthritis broke off and was lodged in the shoulder area. The surgery was performed in late 2003. It was hard with the kids but my mother assisted me during that time. Rehab was harder than what I thought it would be after not moving the shoulder for a length of time. I was glad to get the use of my right arm back, lol.
It's a good thing your mom was there to help you out. :yes:

Dragon Naturally Speaking. No keyboard needed.

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery, Diana.
Thanks, John! :) I found a way to sneak my other hand out of the sling to type with two hands again. It sure goes quicker. :D

Get well soon Diana. You still owe me that ride <g>

Best,

Dave
Thanks, Dave! And I'm still looking forward to that ride with you. :yes: We're going back to Gaston's in late October. I'm going to post in our old thread about it. Will you sing to me again? :yes: :cheerswine:

Sorry to hear today has been rough. Hang it there, Diana, it WILL get better. :yes:
I assume PT starts Tuesday?

...I found a way to sneak my other hand out of the sling to type with two hands again. It sure goes quicker. :D

'scuuuuuuze me? You had better be following doctor's orders, little missy! :fingerwag: just how do you expect to get better?

Last edited:
Thank you, Bill. :) Hey, we were hoping that you'd be coming by this way for the farm fly-in, but I guess it didn't work out this time. We hope you'll come back by this way sometime. :yes:

Ended up with some family stuff with my parents. Sorry to have missed your farm fly-in... Maybe next time.

I'm not familiar with that area. What's up there? It sounds like you enjoyed it. :)

Cooperstown, NY, home of the baseball hall of "fame". And the Fenimore museum (which is a real gem). Lots of farm stands. And found a great little restaurant.

The airport was great: Hertz delivered, the folks running the airport were nice and laid back, two great airport dogs sprawled in the lobby/lounge, and evidence that looks suspiciously like there is also an airport cat (cat bed atop the vending machine). When I arrived, there was a Seneca, a twin Bo, and couple of singles... as I was getting ready to leave someone came in in a MU-2.

Sorry to hear today has been rough. Hang it there, Diana, it WILL get better. :yes:
:) Well, maybe I shouldn't have expected so much.
I assume PT starts Tuesday?

Well, the problem is, I don't know what's going on. The doctor told me last month that there would be a sling and PT. When I left the hospital on Friday, it was after 5:00, I was a zombie in a sling, and nothing was scheduled and the doctor didn't tell Tom what was going to happen next so we don't know how long/much to use the sling or if/when PT will start. Guess I'll call the office on Tuesday to see what's next and what kind of activities will be allowed. Right now, we haven't a clue and it isn't written on my discharge papers. :dunno:

'scuuuuuuze me? You had better be following doctor's orders, little missy! :fingerwag: just how to you expect to get better?

Maybe we'll go back to one hand. ;)

Diana, start crawling your hand up the wall. Today is the WORST day, if you can get your arm up to ear height with the aid of finges and wall, DO IT.

Put a pulley on top of a door. Loop loosely about the wrist (NOT A SLIPKNOT!!). Put a three or four pound weight on the other end and GET that ARM UP beyond 90. Don't use muscular force just yet, but "RANGE OF MOTION" the shoulder.

Today, tomorrow and the day after are miserable. But GET IT MOVING passively.

Would turning the wheel of the John Deere help with mobility? She can't afford to get behind with her mowing.

Diana, start crawling your hand up the wall. Today is the WORST day, if you can get your arm up to ear height with the aid of finges and wall, DO IT.

Put a pulley on top of a door. Loop loosely about the wrist (NOT A SLIPKNOT!!). Put a three or four pound weight on the other end and GET that ARM UP beyond 90. Don't use muscular force just yet, but "RANGE OF MOTION" the shoulder.

Thanks, Bruce, I took you up on your advice. :) I'm ready to get to work, passively, for now. It seems to be pretty loose so far. I appreciate your comments...a LOT. :yes:

Would turning the wheel of the John Deere help with mobility? She can't afford to get behind with her mowing.
Yeah, no kidding! The grass is getting tall again. Poor Tom has to do everything now, from all the mowing, to cooking and cleaning, and helping me with my bath. For better or worser. ;)

Diana, I had no idea! Who did you have do the surgery? Barb was with us in Sidnaw! Take care, and keep us informed!

Diana, I had no idea! Who did you have do the surgery?
My rheumatologist sent me to the "Shoulder Guy"...he is supposed to be the best around. I just wish he was better at communicating.

Barb was with us in Sidnaw! Take care, and keep us informed!
:) I just had a dream last night that everyone was out having fun but me. I woke up and realized that it was true. ;) I hope you had a great time. :yes:

Hey, Diana. Hope today is better than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow. :yes:
Thanks, Kevin. :) I appreciate that. :yes:

I'm going to try to go without pain pills today. I can get my arm higher today up the wall.

How in the heck do you make the stupid sling more comfortable? It really hurts where it rubs on the other side of my neck. I'd just as soon not wear the sling at all.

I'm off to see how well this all works on my recumbent bike upstairs. Surely riding that bike won't hurt anything if the arm isn't moved.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back