Play simulator

judypilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Judy Parrish
Dear Friends,

I just found out that one of my former grad students and his whole family have just been through the ringer healthwise. I talked to his wife, and their young son has been in love with airplanes ever since I gave them all a ride a few years ago (he must be about 6 now). She asked if I knew where she could get old panel parts so he could play pilot. It sounds to me like what she'd like is like a desk-top simulator panel with all the controls and dials, although it could be a toy version. So I have some questions:

(a) Has anyone seen a toy like this? If so, do you know where I could get one?
(b) If not, how much might a junked simulator go for?
(c) How much does Microsoft Simulator with the controls go for?
(d) Could one really fabricate a toy like this out of spare parts and, if so, where might be a good place to look for such parts?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Judy

judypilot said:
Dear Friends,

I just found out that one of my former grad students and his whole family have just been through the ringer healthwise. I talked to his wife, and their young son has been in love with airplanes ever since I gave them all a ride a few years ago (he must be about 6 now). She asked if I knew where she could get old panel parts so he could play pilot. It sounds to me like what she'd like is like a desk-top simulator panel with all the controls and dials, although it could be a toy version. So I have some questions:

(a) Has anyone seen a toy like this? If so, do you know where I could get one?
(b) If not, how much might a junked simulator go for?
(c) How much does Microsoft Simulator with the controls go for?
(d) Could one really fabricate a toy like this out of spare parts and, if so, where might be a good place to look for such parts?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Judy

Hi Judy,

I don't have much time, but check out www.simkits.com for more information. They have some great stuff over there (never bought any of it before though) and have heard from many people that they sell good stuff.

I know one individual who has built a full-motion Boeing 747-400 simulator...but that's another story... I'll post a link to that when I find it again.

Hope this helps,
Jason

Judy;
Never much into addon hardware (I've been flying a keyboard for years), if you can dream it, there are companies that build it. Here's one shop that sells the hardware - http://www.pcaviator.com/shop/viewCategory.php?s=0&c=5
You might also search out a magazine called Computer Pilot. They specialize in sim flying and have lots of hardware advertizing in them.

How to build your own home cockpit:
http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/howto/n269lp.htm

Last edited:
If he's six, he doesn't want a real simulator - he wants a replica cockpit so he can make noises and play pilot. I bet something could be made out of wood fairly inexpensively, and then one could find old parts (yoke, gauges, etc) and mount them.

Look for a poll related to the subject.

I have a junk NAV/COM, COM, Altimeter, GPS. Anyone else have a few junk parts so we can make a PoA cockpit for this boy?

Let me know.

i have a Wiskey Compass i bought for my truck , but am willing to donate it to a budding pilot (kid).Just let me know where to send it. Or if your coming to Gastons i'll bring it along
Dave G

Wow! Thanks! I don't know if his dad would have time to build anything, but I will let him know that this is a possibility. I know for sure his dad won't have time in the next couple of months, but I'll ask if he'd be interested in fabricating something out of junked instruments.

Judy

I would be more than happy to build it. Some plywood, some paint, some screws, no problem.

N2212R said:
I would be more than happy to build it. Some plywood, some paint, some screws, no problem.

Ed,

You are sweet. But then how would we get it to Duluth?

Judy

An old friend of ours gave us a couple of old instruments, a DG and a turn coordinator, a while back. These are the REALLY old style, but my boy loves them, and makes them part of his panel. Paying a visit to some mx shops and asking what you can get may pay dividends, then you can help build a panel out of plywood.

judypilot said:
Ed,

You are sweet. But then how would we get it to Duluth?

Judy

UPS. I also get to the upper peninsula often. Duluth is a short hop from there.

flyingcheesehead said:

Well, I asked because it sounded like it would be big, too big to fit in my airplane, anyway.

Judy

flyingcheesehead said:

Ed, Are you really serious about this? I would pay for it. Some junker instruments and even a fake yoke would probably send this kid over the moon. Give me an estimate, including shipping. It would be fun to surprise them.

You've got lots of time, too. He's off doing field work for a couple of months and his wife and kid will be joining him shortly, so they wouldn't even be there to receive it until something like August.

Judy

Hi Judy,
You can also try simviation.com too. The're lot's of free add ons for all the Microsoft's flight simulators.

Welcome to PoA, Frederico!

You should note, however, that Judy's post was over 3 years ago, and she hasn't logged in since April.

Yeah, the kid and his family have moved to Texas, among other things. I was alerted to this reactivated thread by someone on another forum.

I have two forums I follow, and that seems to be my limit. I'm not boycotting POA, just out of time.

Judy

Yeah, the kid and his family have moved to Texas, among other things. I was alerted to this reactivated thread by someone on another forum.

I have two forums I follow, and that seems to be my limit. I'm not boycotting POA, just out of time.

Judy
We understand, but we miss you!:yes:

Back