Snakes on a plane, no way! Scorpians on a Plane!!!

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Truth is always stranger than fiction
MONTPELIER, Vermont (AP) -- A scorpion stung David Sullivan on the back of his right leg, just below the knee, then crawled up and down his left leg, he thinks, before getting him again in the shin.
Not what he was expecting on his flight home from Chicago to Vermont.
Sullivan, a 46-year-old builder from Stowe, was aboard the United Airlines flight on the second leg of his trip home from San Francisco, where he and his wife, Helena, had been visiting their sons. He awoke from a nap shortly before landing and noticed something strange.
"My right leg felt like it was asleep, but that was isolated to one spot, and it felt like it was being jabbed with a sharp piece of plastic or something."
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/10/scorpion.plane.ap/index.html

I have a flight to London Saturday. I'll be sleeping real well now. YIKES!!!

I did once have a scorpion fall from the ceiling at work (Florida not Illinois) and land at my feet. But I crushed him with my boot and that was the end of that.

My family left a Baron on the ramp at Deston, FL for a week a few years ago. On the way home the family was asleep and I kept feeling what I thought was something brushing against my left ankle. I looked down and saw a mouse run toward the back of the airplane. It was a long flight home and I never woke the family up to tell them.

We left the doors open back in the hangar and after a few days of finding little chewed up pieces of seat foam in the floor of the airplane I guess he finally got the hint and headed somewhere else.

It was probably just probing the airline's defenses in advance of the full blown terrorist scorpion attack. :hairraise:

I did once have a scorpion fall from the ceiling at work (Florida not Illinois) and land at my feet. But I crushed him with my boot and that was the end of that.

That reminds me of something that happened to me while in the hospital following surgery in June of '01. I had just been moved out of intensive care into a regular room, and late one night I started feeling "itchy". It got worse and worse (I thought it was just me being generally uncomfortable) until I paged a nurse. Turned out to be ants! A whole colony of the little buggers coming in under the window sill, down the wall, across the floor, and up the bed post. Very quickly, and I do mean very quickly, a swarm of nurses started fussing over me. They got me outta there faster than you say "with you"!

That reminds me of something that happened to me while in the hospital following surgery in June of '01. I had just been moved out of intensive care into a regular room, and late one night I started feeling "itchy". It got worse and worse (I thought it was just me being generally uncomfortable) until I paged a nurse. Turned out to be ants! A whole colony of the little buggers coming in under the window sill, down the wall, across the floor, and up the bed post. Very quickly, and I do mean very quickly, a swarm of nurses started fussing over me. They got me outta there faster than you say "with you"!

Fireants or jsut regualr ones?

I felt something weird on my toe (when I lived in Texas) one night. I reached down and scratched, a few minutes later I felt it again. So I turned on the light and a beetle that was about an 1" long was chewing on my toe and had actually opened up the skin. ICK!

Worse though was being in the field sleeping. Too many insects to even think about. It is one of the reason I hate camping to this day.

I was stung by fire ants at Ft. Pulaski one time and almost died.

I am with you on that one. I was on a field exercise at Bergtrom AFB (now Austin-Bergstrom IAP). I felt a few things nibbling on me. That is not unheard of when in the grass out there. When I finally got around to looking at what it was I saw that a mess of (many) fireants had gotten up my shirt sleeve and were feasting away. My arm was almost twice the size it normally is. I got in a vehicle and then went to the base hospital . I walked into the emergency room and told them what had happened. I was panting and clutching my chest as I was having a hard time breathing and my heart kinda hurt.

Well they had me lay down right there and I got to go to the head of the line!!

Friend of mine moved to San Antonio and took the CTO position of the company I worked for. Shortly after he moved, he got out of the shower one day and pulled on his underclothes.... and quickly felt sharp pain in a place you don't want to have a sharp pain. Yep, scorpion crawled up into his underwear.

Yeow....

Watching TV late on night with my dad when I was a teenager, he suddenly jumped up and dropped his jeans (while uttering a few choice words). I didn't have a clue what happened. Didn't know that I wanted too. Turns out he had a scorpian that had crawled up his pant leg and stung him... I never saw Dad move so fast. :hairraise:

Wow, I was getting ready to start a new thread, only to find this has happened before!
Indy Star said:
Scorpion on plane bites Indy-bound man
Arachnid, 5 babies hitched a ride from Arizona in carry-on bag

The toxic Arizona bark scorpion and five babies were killed after Flight 2093 from Phoenix landed at Indianapolis International Airport at 12:10 a.m., said Southwest spokeswoman Marilee McInnis. The 44-year-old passenger was not seriously injured, but the jetliner was fumigated overnight.

Scorpion on plane bites Indy-bound man

No mention if there was a statement from PETA.

Last edited:
Back