The cup is full....

Gee, I wonder to whom you refer? :D

Sounds like a good book. I may have to buy a copy myself. I can always learn more about this art we call flying.

Ghery said:
Gee, I wonder to whom you refer? :D

Sounds like a good book. I may have to buy a copy myself. I can always learn more about this art we call flying.

I did order a copy today based on some good comments I read from another reader on AvWeb. I'll let you know what I think. Michael's always been a pretty good writer; this book should be no exception. He was one of the few gems (including Baxter) in Flying.

Troy Whistman said:
I did order a copy today based on some good comments I read from another reader on AvWeb. I'll let you know what I think. Michael's always been a pretty good writer; this book should be no exception. He was one of the few gems (including Baxter) in Flying.

I've enjoyed his writing over on AvWeb, too. I expect to enjoy this book when it arrives in a couple weeks.

Ghery said:
I've enjoyed his writing over on AvWeb, too. I expect to enjoy this book when it arrives in a couple weeks.

Did that surprise you too? They have you pick between Fedex or UPS, but it doesn't ship for a couple weeks?

I'm hoping it arrives sooner, and this is one of those Scotty moments ("but Cap'n, it will take me 3 weeks to rebuild the warp drive!!!" "Scotty, if we don't have warp power in 3 minutes, we're all DEAD!" And, of course, Scotty gets power back in 2 minutes 55 seconds....)

Good news... it showed up at the house today, just 2 days after I ordered it, and he personally autographed the inside cover with a message to me (with my name).

Cool! Can't wait to read it. Going "offline"!

Troy Whistman said:
Good news... it showed up at the house today, just 2 days after I ordered it, and he personally autographed the inside cover with a message to me (with my name).Cool! Can't wait to read it. Going "offline"!

The first part of that book reminds me of some of the martial arts books I've read over time.

And what the instructor was trying to say reminds me of something that was posted on a cello board I belong to:

Try and be an open hand, not a fist; a sponge, not a rock; infinite in your
ability to take in the experience.

If you don't push it out (doubt, stubborness, whatever), it'll all come in
- but in its own time. Patience!

Sounds like a good book - I may have to give it a try!

Tom, who's posting his first P of A post right here, right now! Hey, y'all!
what a long strange trip it's being...

Troy Whistman said:
Good news... it showed up at the house today, just 2 days after I ordered it, and he personally autographed the inside cover with a message to me (with my name).

Mine arrived today, too. But it wasn't autographed. :dunno: Oh well, at least my copy of "Baa Baa Black Sheep" is autographed by Pappy.

Ghery said:
Mine arrived today, too. But it wasn't autographed. :dunno: Oh well, at least my copy of "Baa Baa Black Sheep" is autographed by Pappy.

You remember the "Special Instructions" box on the order page? I put "Any chance of getting it autographed?", since it was apparent to me that MMC was running his OWN publishing company and fulfilling orders himself. So I took a shot at it, and he graciously fulfilled the request.

Troy Whistman said:

Mine showed up Monday, but AFaIK it's not personally autographed. I'll take a closer look tonight.

Troy Whistman said:
Did that surprise you too? They have you pick between Fedex or UPS, but it doesn't ship for a couple weeks?

I'm hoping it arrives sooner, and this is one of those Scotty moments ("but Cap'n, it will take me 3 weeks to rebuild the warp drive!!!" "Scotty, if we don't have warp power in 3 minutes, we're all DEAD!" And, of course, Scotty gets power back in 2 minutes 55 seconds....)

Mine came much sooner than I expected and I used the cheapest shipping offered (USPS).

Hi guys!

You only have Troy to blame for my intrusion here. He sent me an email today and I followed the link. Clever, huh?

I'm pleased to hear that you have discovered "Artful FLYING." The book began as a "Pro's Nest" column when I wrote for FLYING Magazine over 10 years ago. It was a long and painful birth, but the reader comments so far have convinced me that the effort was worth it.

A couple of comments on your posts:

First, I will gladly scribble my autograph in any book that you buy. All you have to do is put the request in the "Special Instructions" box at checkout. I don't automatically scribble in ALL books because the book is often a gift for a neighbor, friend or instructor. Can you imagine if I had written in Troy's book, "To Bertha, who has that special something we all love...." Ouch!

Secondly, the reason for my warning about the two week delivery time is because I fly big, ugly jets for a living and am gone about half the month, every month. My assistant comes into the office every other day (or so) and I thus, I would rather "underpromise and overdeliver," as some of you have discovered when your books arrived more quickly than promised.

In addition, if you want the book autographed I have to be there to do that...unless you want my dog to scribble something in the front of the book. She likes to scribble, by the way....

Once you've had a chance to read the book, send me your comments, questions and critique.

I look forward to participating in a forum on the artful way....

Best,

Michael Maya Charles

Michael Maya Charles said:
Hi guys!

You only have Troy to blame for my intrusion here. He sent me an email today and I followed the link. Clever, huh?

Hey! We hope that you'll stick around and post more, now that you've found us! ;-) We're a great source of story ideas, and we love to be regaled with flying stories, which you must have in abundance.

:)

Troy Whistman said:
Hey! We hope that you'll stick around and post more, now that you've found us! ;-) We're a great source of story ideas, and we love to be regaled with flying stories, which you must have in abundance.

:)

There I was...flat on my back....

Wilco.

Michael Maya Charles

Michael~
Let me add my "Welcome" to the others. While I was poking around here on the site this morning, I happened to notice your name in the Users On Line section at the bottom of the opening screen...

Very glad to have you here with us, and am looking forward to receiving your book which I just ordered a few minutes ago. I've greatly enjoyed your online musings over on Av-Web for the past few years. You have a lot to say that is worth listening to, and I like the way you say it!

Hi guys!

Once you've had a chance to read the book, send me your comments, questions and critique.

I'm only a couple chapters into the book now, but so far I really like the ideas you presented there. I will look forward to your perspective here.

As to the shipping promise/performance issue, it was a nice surprise to receive your book "ahead of schedule". If only that were the norm WRT online orders in general.

And if I had noticed the opportunity to have you autograph my copy before sending it, I would have taken advantage of it. Then again, this may be a valid excuse to actually meet in person someday, who knows?

Very glad to have you here with us, and am looking forward to receiving your book which I just ordered a few minutes ago. I've greatly enjoyed your online musings over on Av-Web for the past few years. You have a lot to say that is worth listening to, and I like the way you say it![/QUOTE]

Don,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I saw your order on the site this morning; your book will ship today. Thanks so much for your interest in "Artful FLYING."

Let me know what you think of the book once you've had a chance to digest it....

Best,

Michael Maya Charles

lancefisher said:
I'm only a couple chapters into the book now, but so far I really like the ideas you presented there. I will look forward to your perspective here.

And if I had noticed the opportunity to have you autograph my copy before sending it, I would have taken advantage of it. Then again, this may be a valid excuse to actually meet in person someday, who knows?

Lance,

I'm going to be presenting a talk at AOPA EXPO in Tampa. Stop by and say "howdy" if you make it to the convention -- and I'll be happy to sign your book.

Very Best,

Michael Maya Charles

Hi guys!
Welcome to the forum Michael! (Is it OK to call you Michael?)

Pull up a chair and sit a spell. :)

Looks like I'll have to order one of your books now; the reviews have been good so far. :yes:

etsisk said:
Tom, who's posting his first P of A post right here, right now! Hey, y'all!
what a long strange trip it's being...
Hey Tom, glad you could join us! :)

Diana said:
Welcome to the forum Michael! (Is it OK to call you Michael?)

Pull up a chair and sit a spell. :)

Looks like I'll have to order one of your books now; the reviews have been good so far. :yes:

Diana,

You can call me "Michael," just don't call me Ray....

A Citabria pilot, eh? A long time ago and far away, I used to ferry those from the factory. Picked 'em up at St. Paul Downtown Airport and barnstormed my way across the country to the plane's new home. The dealer would hand me a couple hundred bucks and say, "Don't spend it all in one place."

I slept on a lot of FBO couches.

Love to ship you a book. Hey, ALL of your fellow online buddies can't be wrong!

Very Best,

Michael Maya Charles

Michael,

Welcome to the forum. Your columns on AvWeb were all the reason I needed to buy a copy of your new book. I'm always behind in my reading, but I plan on catching up on a trip next week. If that doesn't do it, the trip to South Africa next month surely will.

Ghery,

Let me know what you think when you've had a chance to read it....

Have a safe trip to South Africa.

Michael Maya Charles

A Citabria pilot, eh? A long time ago and far away, I used to ferry those from the factory. Picked 'em up at St. Paul Downtown Airport and barnstormed my way across the country to the plane's new home. The dealer would hand me a couple hundred bucks and say, "Don't spend it all in one place."

I slept on a lot of FBO couches.

Hey, that sounds like the beginning of a great story. :yes:

Read a friend's copy. It's a nice read. Thank you Michael. My order is on the way; hope to see you at Expo. 4:30 Friday and 11:30 Saturday. Hope to be there for 4:30 on Thrusday but might not make it in time.

Bruce Chien
AOPA's Board of Aviation Medical Advisors
Ex E188 dog and CFI.

bbchien said:
Read a friend's copy. It's a nice read. Thank you Michael. My order is on the way; hope to see you at Expo. 4:30 Friday and 11:30 Saturday. Hope to be there for 4:30 on Thrusday but might not make it in time.

Bruce Chien
AOPA's Board of Aviation Medical Advisors
Ex E188 dog and CFI.

Bruce,

"Read a friend's copy..."? You don't associate with that Dr. Blue guy, do you???

Best,

Michael Maya Charles

Diana said:
Hey Tom, glad you could join us! :)
Thanks, Diana! I figure this might be a bit less . . . something. . . than the ol' Soapbox forum :hairraise: over there on those other boards...

Nice to see you and some other folks over here!

etsisk said:
Thanks, Diana! I figure this might be a bit less . . . something. . . than the ol' Soapbox forum :hairraise: over there on those other boards...

Nice to see you and some other folks over here!

Finished it the other day. I must have enjoyed the read as it left me wanting more.

Michael, how about an "Artful Flying" Checklist?

Diana said:
Hey, that sounds like the beginning of a great story. :yes:

Diana,

Hmmm...it just might be. Thanks for the reminder.

Your book is on the way today, autographed, of course. Thanks for your patience while I was on the road.

Very Best,

Michael Maya Charles

lancefisher said:
Finished it the other day. I must have enjoyed the read as it left me wanting more.

Michael, how about an "Artful Flying" Checklist?

Hi Lance,

Dang, you read quickly! Many of my pilot buddies write to me every so often, asking for help with the big words.... It takes them FOREVER to read it that way! ;)

There WILL be a follow-on to this book. But it will probably be a one or two day seminar, where we can work together to create this special way of flying.

Best,

Michael Maya Charles

I read the book on my flights to Detroit yesterday. Lots of good things to think about. Just what was that crack about bassoonists? :D Kind of close to home (I played one in school many years ago).

Ghery said:
I read the book on my flights to Detroit yesterday. Lots of good things to think about. Just what was that crack about bassoonists? :D Kind of close to home (I played one in school many years ago).

Ghery,

I KNEW you had a certain strange air about you!

Ducking....

Michael Maya Charles

Ghery,

I KNEW you had a certain strange air about you!

Ducking....

Michael Maya Charles

Hey, I could have been worse. I could have played the Oboe (the ill wind that nobody blows good)...

Know the difference between a violin and a viola?

The viola burns longer. :D

Hey everybody! I must have dozed off....

How's the reading coming? Anybody have comments on "Artful Flying"?

Very best,

Rip Van Winkle
aka, Michael Maya Charles

Michael, I enjoyed it. My lif is Soooo Very full of "what is the current position of AFM 800 on....." or AAM 331 on......" or whatever, that it's very important to not lose "beginner brain".

Of course, with all things aviation, I'm at the beginner brain stage with the new GNS430W update, for which Garmin didn't publish change sections, but published a whole new manual.

So much for the big perspective. I have to keep struggling to see it..... :)

<<So much for the big perspective. I have to keep struggling to see it..... :)>>

Bruce,

Glad you enjoyed "Artful Flying."

Remember: the "struggle" is a life-long process, not something we graduate from.

In my opinion, it's worth every second we give it....

Very best,

Michael Maya Charles

Back