Required Reading..

The actual link above has an issue in it (just an errant "http//") ...and you need the entire 10-page narrative on this one.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20071120X01821&ntsbno=NYC08FA023&akey=1

Considering I'd like to build a plane in a few years, things like this are good to read. Very sad. Nobody ever tries for the outcome, especially in this case when he was about to take his family on a trip.

Pretty plane: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled/Van%27s-RV-10/1277965/L/&tbl=&photo_nr=5&sok=&sort=&prev_id=1277966&next_id=1277964

If you search the tail number you can find plenty of leads to other pictures and discussions if you are so inclined. Seems like he was a nice guy that loved to fly...but was in over his head.

Last edited:
WOW... I think he said it best himself in his admission to his friend via email:

"Eww I am an idiot!! ... I need a lot of help to learn all of this stuff because I am not having a clue on how to do it. Definitely a case of money versus intelligence. But I have to learn it to use it... I am definitely behind the power curve and need help."

and

"Remember I have only flown a Cherokee 140 for 200 hours, so I am learning how to fly high perf stuff too, .... But it just seems like lately I am way out of my comfort zone and clawing my way back in."

Last edited:
WOW... I think he said it best himself in his admission to his friend via email:

"Eww I am an idiot!! ... I need a lot of help to learn all of this stuff because I am not having a clue on how to do it. Definitely a case of money versus intelligence. But I have to learn it to use it... I am definitely behind the power curve and need help."

and

"Remember I have only flown a Cherokee 140 for 200 hours, so I am learning how to fly high perf stuff too, .... But it just seems like lately I am way out of my comfort zone and clawing my way back in."

I agree that he admitted his situation, but unfortunately the same advice prevailed repeatedly and went unheeded... and he made choices to continue to fly despite neither he nor his plane being ready. If he had the money for those g-whiz glass panels and an engine package, he could have easily afforded someone doing some of the heavy lifting for him.. like calibrating his install, and perhaps offering him some dual instruction..

Get-thereitis occurred several times - Osh.. and the impending family trip.. You HAVE to be able to say NO, I'm NOT ready.

Its sad.. Its tragic.. and I hope this doesn't happen to anyone I know...

What was the probably cause as determined by the ntsb? I didn't see it listed.
There was obviously a lot of things done wrong - mechanically, training, pilot attitude, etc - but was any of that shown to cause this crash?

There was obviously a lot of things done wrong - mechanically, training, pilot attitude, etc - but was any of that shown to cause this crash?

The PDF version (and this is the "FACTUAL" report) just lists "Forced landing", but does seem to be missing the usual analysis of what led to the actual crash. Reads like a history lesson, missing the final chapter. Unusual...

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=NYC08FA023&rpt=fa

The report is the "Factual" report, they usually precede the Probable Cause by a couple of months.

Ron Wanttaja

And this is why I wouldn't want to build my own airplane... As soon as it looked like an airplane, I'd try to fly it! Sounds like this guy was farther along, but not exactly complete:

Further examination of the flight control system revealed that, the outboard ends of the ailerons had been filled with foam and then fiberglass had been used to seal in the foam. A trim tab for the rudder was discovered to be attached with duct tape. The lock nuts which were used on the rod ends for the pitch control system could be spun by hand and were not tightened against the rod ends, and were found on the threaded portion of the rods approximately 1/4 inch away from what would be their normal seated positions. The right trim tab rod on the elevator was connected to its rod end by two threads and was shorter than the trim tab rod for the left trim tab. It displayed evidence that the end of the trim tab rod at one time had broken off, and then had been re-inserted into the rod end, as the rest of the threaded portion was not present.

Multiple wires showed no evidence of having being connected prior to impact. Examination of the cableing connected to the electrical system's contactor relays, revealed that a cable was not secured to its corresponding terminal on the contactor relay.

Further examination revealed that the terminal bore no evidence of dimpling or indentation and its interior surface was sooted.

The pilot had installed a fuel filter on the upper pilot side of the firewall prior to the engine being installed. During the installation, the pilot discovered that the filter would not clear one of the diagonal engine mounting tubes, providing the main support for the nose wheel, and removed it. Rather than relocate the filter to another location, the fuel feed line, from the high-pressure fuel pumps, was run through a nylon grommet in the firewall. This penetration, as well as the fuel return line, was at the front of the center tunnel.

The battery and contactor relay location was on top of the high-pressure fuel pumps and next to where the fuel feed line and fuel return line came through the firewall.

The EFIS alarm levels had not been set up by the pilot for his specific engine installation and degradation of performance in the EIS had also occurred, as the pilot had not calibrated the "PR" (Pulses per revolution) for RPM, The "K Factor" (Scaling factor) for fuel flow, and The Fuel Level Calibration. This would have resulted in erroneous readings for rpm, fuel flow, fuel quantity, and multiple nuisance alarms.

Examination of the pilot's logbook revealed no evidence of the training required by the FAA for operation of an airplane with an engine of more than 200 horsepower.

Examination of the airplane's maintenance logbook revealed that on July 10, 2007, the FAA issued a special airworthiness certificate allowing operation of the airplane.

Seven days later, on July 17, 2007, the pilot certified in the maintenance logbook that the prescribed 40 hours of test flying required by the FAA had been completed however, no record of separate entries for each of the test flights was discovered. The pilot also certified on that date that the airplane was controllable throughout its normal range of speeds and maneuvers, and that it had no hazardous characteristics or design flaws and that it was safe for operation. The pilot additionally certified that he had demonstrated by flight test, the operating data for the airplane and the weight and balance data.

No maintenance entries regarding removal or installation of equipment, or repair or alteration of the airplane or engine subsequent to the date of the issuance of the special airworthiness certificate were discovered.

Review of the FAA airworthiness records also revealed that the weight and balance data supplied to the FAA differed from the weight and balance information in the airplane's maintenance logbook. These differences included differing centers of gravity and a difference in empty weight.

This airplane just flat-out was not completed nor airworthy. :dunno:

EDIT: And this right here shows *exactly* the attitude I'm afraid I would have at that stage in the process:

According to friends and other builders, the pilot was impatient with the time it was taking to do everything, and he was pushing to get the airplane assembled and flying

EDIT 2: Even more so, and scarier!!!

the airplane's first flight occurred with Clecos (temporary fasteners) holding the upper aft portion of the cowling in place and with a passenger onboard.

:hairraise:

Last edited:
This is why I have such respect for builders who do the job right. And why I'd be super-duper-uber-careful about buying a homebuilt. What if I ended up buying this guy's airplane? I would bet he'd falsify building records to sell the plane, and represent it as having been done properly.

Really scary. His chain of bad events got really long before the inevitable got to him.

Guys like this are why I don't think I'll ever fly into OSH. Rushing to get this done, with not enough time in it and the plane about 3/4ths done, just to get to OSH to promote the engine design. A lot of good stuff comes out of OSH but stuff like this is just scary!

Jim G

I would bet he'd falsify building records to sell the plane, and represent it as having been done properly.

And that's why I won't buy a homebuilt either. :( :no:

Guys like this are why I don't think I'll ever fly into OSH. Rushing to get this done, with not enough time in it and the plane about 3/4ths done, just to get to OSH to promote the engine design. A lot of good stuff comes out of OSH but stuff like this is just scary!

Jim,

I'll take this guy having read the NOTAM over one of the idiots in a certified airplane that doesn't read the NOTAM any day. If the bad build causes a problem he's gonna be in a smoking hole on the ground and out of my way.

That said, as long as you keep your eyes open flying into OSH is quite safe. :yes:

This thread hits very close to home.

I have been preaching about "we are our builder-brothers keeper". Building experimentals has a long rich history of innovation, technological advancements, and an unbelievable base of knowledge of builder's experience through EAA. All you have to do is ask and there are many builders who will assist you in doing anything you want to do....within reason of aviation standards. In this instance, several builders told him to slow down and do it right, and he refused to listen and heed the advice of others, or follow standards that are there for a reason.

Experimental aircraft builders have a responsibility, a duty to those who have gone before us to be responsible, honest, and precise so that future builders can enjoy the same freedom we do now. It is a shame and a disgrace to read this NTSB report and learn of the short cuts this man took with my hobby.

This is so sad on so many levels, and it hurts.

Last edited:
Yep, there's a tremendous body of knowledge in EAA chapters and builders groups, but this guy was bound and determined to ignore it...

Fortunately he took himself out before he took out his entire family. But he didn't do the experimental family any favors.

Trapper John

This thread hits very close to home.

I have been preaching about "we are our builder-brothers keeper". Building experimentals has a long rich history of innovation, technological advancements, and an unbelievable base of knowledge of builder's experience through EAA. All you have to do is ask and there are many builders who will assist you in doing anything you want to do....within reason of aviation standards. In this instance, several builders told him to slow down and do it right, and he refused to listen and heed the advice of others, or follow standards that are there for a reason.

Experimental aircraft builders have a responsibility, a duty to those who have gone before us to be responsible, honest, and precise so that future builders can enjoy the same freedom we do now. It is a shame and a disgrace to read this NTSB report and learn of the short cuts this man took with my hobby.

This is so sad on so many levels, and it hurts.
Raises the question of whether the other builders who saw the problems brewing had any moral obligation to inform on the builder to the FAA or his wife! Of course, given the attitude that he displayed, he would probably have just ignored (or lied to) the FSDO if they came calling! The wife is a little harder to ignore, and at least she might not have been willing to go on the trip with him (or let him take the kids, either).

"dagger flight 6 is inbound, overhead break Rnwy 6 Smallsville USA".

It is precisely this sort of person /personality that makes me DRIVE to fly in events.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back