Training in the DSM Area

Hello All,

N00b here. I’m looking for flight instruction recommendations in the DSM area.

Trapper John, my favorite MASH character! I am a CFI that instructs out of Exec 1.

You can check out there website at http://www.exec1aviation.com/frames.htm.

Their planes are OK, nothing spectacular to look at but all airworthy. They have three 172's prices from $80, $90 and $100 per hour wet.

I'd be happy to talk more if you have some specific questions. As for Tony, well.... He's a good guy. A fried of mine did his Instrument with Tony and was very happy with it.

Dave

Another thumbs-up for Tony and AMW. Come say hello and we'll give you a warm welcome.

Matthew

Trapper John, my favorite MASH character! I am a CFI that instructs out of Exec 1.

You can check out there website at http://www.exec1aviation.com/frames.htm.

Their planes are OK, nothing spectacular to look at but all airworthy. They have three 172's prices from $80, $90 and $100 per hour wet.

I'd be happy to talk more if you have some specific questions. As for Tony, well.... He's a good guy. A fried of mine did his Instrument with Tony and was very happy with it.

Dave

Hey is Kip still around there?

No, he left last summer and went to work for McAninch construction.. He's flying their King Airs now......

Dave

Thanks! Just found out about this place tonight from a friend in Missouri.

Dave

dave,

how much instructing you doing down there at Exec 1? How are things going there since Bosen bought it out?

Not as much as I'd like. Flight training is way down there for some reason.

Ed has big plans for the FBO and airport, should be an interesting year coming up!

Dave

well i guess it gives you more time to work at your real job :)

Hey.. Glad to have an IKV'er on here. I think we've got central Iowa covered pretty well on here now. ha!

What's the skinny on the Lance for rent there? ~475 TT, PP-ASEL, IA, ~20hrs HiPerf, ~50hrs Complex. What would be necessary for a checkout?

Trapper,

After you get some "Special High Intensity Training" **** from Tony at Haps, You can fly up to MCW for the "Comprehensive and Rigorous Assessment Program" CRAP from me.

Standing by with the pink slips....

Doug Rozendaal

Just kidding of course

:p Well, it's my understanding that the syllabus is called the Basic Understanding Lecture List, so that makes it a bunch of B.U.L.L.$.H.I.T!

Trapper John

Hello All,

N00b here. I’m looking for flight instruction recommendations in the DSM area.

I started training in ’99-’00 and was just short a night XC and a checkride of getting my private ticket, but a job transfer and some other circumstances derailed that. So, I’m looking to actually finish this time!

What are reasonable rental rates these days? I see there is a local club that has what looks to be a nice looking and nicely equipped fleet. From their website the hourly charge is$54/hr dry for a Cherokee 140 and $79 dry for an Archer. They also had a pretty long list of experienced instructors, which is a plus for me.

The FBO at IKV also has what looks to be a nice rental fleet, and maybe lower hourly rental rates, but no real info on their instructors. IKV is the closest field to me (well, actually Todd Field is closer, but there doesn’t seem to be any training going on there that I can tell; the ag plane traffic is pretty cool, though).

Who/what else is out there? I wouldn’t rule out AMW since it’s pretty close, too. I don’t have pilot career aspirations, I’m doing this for fun. Eventually, I’d like to find a partner or two in a Citabria/Decathlon, so somewhere I could get tailwheel training would be good.

Quality of instruction and scheduling availability are big to me.

Any and all advice welcome.

Thanks,
Trapper John

So TJ what did you finally decide? Did you go to Tony for some training? Do update from time to time on your status. Oh and welcome!

Not as much as I'd like. Flight training is way down there for some reason.

Ed has big plans for the FBO and airport, should be an interesting year coming up!

Dave

boy, didnt that turn out to be the truth...

Yeah, you can say that again. Who's running that place now? All of the planes look like they're registered with "Metro Area Aviation"

Last I knew, the bank was running it. but that has been a while since I heard anything.

Back