AF1 NYC photo op- fail!

My $.02

They say it was a combined trainig mission / Photo-OP so no waste of federal funds there.

They say it was to update the photo Library of AF1 over National Landmarks, i.e. the Statue of Liberty.

They provided the proper notification but requested the hush which is the only dumb thing they really did.

All this BS about why would they fly low over NY so insensitive is just that BS. Airliners fly low over NY all the time. Sometimes even right down the river into EWR close to the Ststue of Liberty. :yikes:

I disagree.

If they were really smart they would not have wasted thousands of dollars on a publicity stunt to get photos and instead bought a copy of Adobe Photoshop and made the pictures on a computer by employing some college intern. Thus saving the public big bucks and avoiding a controversy!
I forgot. We're supposed to be in the austerity mode now too. :rolleyes:

Re: AF1 phot op- fail!

S0 >>> S1

What does that mean?

Let S0 represent the level of stupidity needed to think "airliner, flying low over Manhattan, chased by a military jet = something bad going down".

Let S1 represent the level of stupidity needed to think that the above event wouldn't generate any concern among the populace.

I would argue that S1 > S0.
Guess Bob has the opposite opinion.

>Guess Bob has the opposite opinion.

bingo

http://portal.wowway.net/news/read....829J1G7@news.ap.org>&_LT=HOME_LARSDCCLM_UNEWS

White House aide resigns over NYC flyover

"As former Army Secretary Louis Caldera took the fall for the flyover, the White House released the findings of an internal investigation that portrayed him as out of the loop in a cycle of missed messages and questionable judgments as plans for the photo shoot proceeded.
Caldera said he didn't know Air Force One would fly at 1,000 feet during the April 27 photo promotion, according to the investigation findings. He also failed to read an e-mail message describing the operation and seemed unaware of the potential for public fear, the findings said."

Sigh. And another former "Good for New Mexico" person screws up a federal office.

Caldera did good things for UNM.

What a sad, scarred, little nation we are today. :(
Yes. Exactly their goal, and they achieved it beautifully.

We have idiots in charge.

Tom, they may be scared but they have good reason; especially in Manhattan.
I just don't know what to say. NO, they didn't have a good reason. People don't think - that should be the story.

Remember, now, some of the people who were, shall we say, not thrilled to see this were also eyewitnesses to, and maybe survivors of, "you know what".
So? This means that it's not silly when they suspend critical thinking? It's just as stupid for a 9/11 witness to stop thinking than it is for anyone else.

Then again, most people don't have a clue about anything. Certainly not aviation.

The Air Force estimated the photo shoot cost taxpayers $328,835.

Does anyone have an extra $328,835. I'd like to get my photo updated.:yikes:

Dan

The Air Force estimated the photo shoot cost taxpayers $328,835.

Does anyone have an extra $328,835. I'd like to get my photo updated.:yikes:

Dan

Well here, you can a copy of the one that they took for the $328,835
2009-05-08-plane.jpg

Back