Connecting GA Pilots with Returning Servicemen and Women

Jebert

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Senator Piper
Hello, all!

I was participating in a forum on the red board the other day and an idea was borne of the discussion: matching servicemen and women who are coming home with pilots who can get them that last 100 or 200 miles by donating their time and aircraft.

So we put up a ride board (and removed advertising from the pages) at our website to serve that purpose. The ride board is broken down in geographic areas based on the A/FD volumes.

If you can donate your time/aircraft to help a returning soldier get home, please register and keep an eye out for soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines who match up. We're working on getting the news out to our men and women in the military, too.

Thanks!

www.pilotjunk.com/welcome-home.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Mixed case passwords

Joe:

This is an outstanding idea, and I salute you for taking the initiative.

What are you doing to publicize the existence of your registry to those who would need rides?

Joe,

I fixed the link for you.

I was participating in a forum on the red board the other day and an idea was borne of the discussion: matching servicemen and women who are coming home with pilots who can get them that last 100 or 200 miles by donating their time and aircraft.

Doesn't Veterans Airlift Command do this already?

im 99% sure that veterans airlift command is only for vets who have a medical need. its like angel flight for the military.
Yup. From their site:
http://www.veteransairlift.org/page/1/passenger_qual.jsp said:
The Service Member/Veteran as a passenger
Any Veteran or active duty military person undergoing continuing medical care is eligible for transportation between the medical facility and from his/her home. A medical release from a physician may be required for travel.
Families and friends as passengers
Service Member/Veteran status
Passengers are transported to and from the medical facility for the benefit of the service member/veteran, not the passengers. Passenger eligibility requires the service member/veteran to be undergoing continuing medical care, either hospitalized or as an outpatient.
Relationship to the service member/veteran
Passengers must be family or a very close personal friend of the veteran.

Joe,

I fixed the link for you.

Thanks...I missed that...

Also, folks may notice that there's a delay set on the registration page. When you fill out registration info, the "Submit" button will activate after 2 minutes. It's a security setting to keep automated systems from registering.

Joe:

This is an outstanding idea, and I salute you for taking the initiative.

What are you doing to publicize the existence of your registry to those who would need rides?

Thanks...so far, it's one or two soldiers forwarding the link back to their mates in Iraq or Afghanistan.

I am thinking of doing a press release. But before we have returning veterans come to the site, there should probably be some pilots already registered.

So today, I posted it here, on AOPA and on the Purple Board.

Over the next few days I need to find resources on disseminating it through the armed services.

Off to register right now... lots of mil charters wind up in DFW, so hope I can come through for someone.

Hello, all!

So we put up a ride board (and removed advertising from the pages) at our website to serve that purpose. The ride board is broken down in geographic areas based on the A/FD volumes.

If you can donate your time/aircraft to help a returning soldier get home, please register and keep an eye out for soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines who match up. We're working on getting the news out to our men and women in the military, too.

Thanks!

www.pilotjunk.com/welcome-home.html

As a vet myself, I'd love to register.

But the confirmation code is ridiculous.:mad3:

I don't have an hour to keep attempting to divine what the display may or may not be.

As a vet myself, I'd love to register.

But the confirmation code is ridiculous.:mad3:

I don't have an hour to keep attempting to divine what the display may or may not be.

I'll work on that...just don't say that to your AME ... :D something about colors......

Okay..fixed it. Much easier to read now. Thanks for the input...I really do appreciate it!

Last edited:
So, what are we gonna call this task?

"Operation Yellow Ribbon"?

Any suggestions?

I passed the link along to a couple guys I know that are military. Told them we just launched the service, so the available pilots might look a bit sparse, but not to worry we always get a ton of pilots signed up for this.

Another question....do we dare try and get some sort of call sign designated for us by the FAA?

I passed the link along to a couple guys I know that are military. Told them we just launched the service, so the available pilots might look a bit sparse, but not to worry we always get a ton of pilots signed up for this.

Another question....do we dare try and get some sort of call sign designated for us by the FAA?

Good idea..but do we want the scrutiny?

"Was this a commercial or private flight? Were all costs associated with the flight evenly shared?"

Etc etc etc

Talk with the Air Care Alliance (http://www.aircareall.org/) to see what you can do about fitting under their umbrella, which would allow you to use the "Compassion" call sign.

Also see about tax status as a 501(c)(3) organization.

"Was this a commercial or private flight? Were all costs associated with the flight evenly shared?"

Etc etc etc

We get compassion flight for Angel/Lifeline etc...and no one asks us those questions. I just think it would be a way to get some preferred handling, and I know when I use Compassion Flight callsign, I always get fees waived - which can get pricey if we end up picking guys up from Bravo fields.

Etc etc etc

Wait for the FAA to determine that "service to country" is compensation for the pilot!:yikes:

Talk with the Air Care Alliance (http://www.aircareall.org/) to see what you can do about fitting under their umbrella, which would allow you to use the "Compassion" call sign.

Also see about tax status as a 501(c)(3) organization.

You know, I gotta call LifeLine anyway and tell em I'm active again.

We get compassion flight for Angel/Lifeline etc...and no one asks us those questions. I just think it would be a way to get some preferred handling, and I know when I use Compassion Flight callsign, I always get fees waived - which can get pricey if we end up picking guys up from Bravo fields.

Good point!

Back