Biden says avoid planes; subway <g>

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Nothing like the V.P. trying to keep things in perspective!

Best,

Dave

Vice President Joe Biden said Thursday that he would not recommend taking any commercial flight or riding in a subway car “at this point” because swine flu virus can spread “in confined places.” A little more than one hour later, Biden rushed out a statement backing off.

“I would tell members of my family — and I have — I wouldn’t go anywhere in confined places now,” Biden said on NBC’s “Today” show.. “It’s not that it’s going to Mexico. It’s [that] you’re in a confined aircraft. When one person sneezes, it goes all the way through the aircraft. That’s me. …

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/21925

I agree! everyone should stay off of commercial flights. Especially any Luftansa flight to Frankfurt and then to Cairo this weekend.

Or the Saturday flights from GRR -> DTW -> JAX.

What does me flying to Jacksonville have to do with the Spin Zone??

I already said I am buying a 727!

So you're gonna buy a worn-out hulk and make it into a house at Sidnaw or something like that.

Yawn.

I was there in February for softball. Decided to go back.

What does me flying to Jacksonville have to do with the Spin Zone??
Is that a riddle?
my answer is nothing.

But a couple of the guys want to turn this into a bash the VP thread. There is a place on this forum for doing that and people have been complaining about it leaking out of the SZ into HT.

The sad thing is he is exactly right. I wouldn't recommend traveling in such enclosed spaces anywhere, everyone shares the disease of one. Its a rare thing that I don't catch a virus after a jet flight, now that I have age-related immunodeficiency. While we can't completely avoid such situations, I wouldn't take an infant aboard a jet or go if I was a respiratory patient while there is a flu danger. Only takes one infection to kill a person. If it really reaches epidemic proportions in this country I bet it will be spread by airliner.

Is that a riddle?
my answer is nothing.

But a couple of the guys want to turn this into a bash the VP thread. There is a place on this forum for doing that and people have been complaining about it leaking out of the SZ into HT.

You deleted your post where you quoted me and said take it to the spin zone.

The sad thing is he is exactly right. I wouldn't recommend traveling in such enclosed spaces anywhere, everyone shares the disease of one. Its a rare thing that I don't catch a virus after a jet flight, now that I have age-related immunodeficiency. While we can't completely avoid such situations, I wouldn't take an infant aboard a jet or go if I was a respiratory patient while there is a flu danger. Only takes one infection to kill a person. If it really reaches epidemic proportions in this country I bet it will be spread by airliner.
PUHLEASE!

The flu danger from H1N1 is so far no worse than the regular seasonal flu. yet we all travel during that time of year.

PUHLEASE!

The flu danger from H1N1 is so far no worse than the regular seasonal flu. yet we all travel during that time of year.

I agree, slow news week.

I don't see dead people, but I see dead posts.

I agree, slow news week.

I don't see dead people, but I see dead posts.
What about Dead Poets?
Dead-Poets-Society-04.jpg

1 out of every 2.4 million people in the United States has a case of H1N1, or whatever you want to call it. Worldwide, 1 confirmed case out of every 25.7 million. Oh. My. God. :frown2:

Too many people have read "The Stand", etc?

I was simply affirming that one can more easily pick up an airborne pathogen in an enclosed space. Granted, the disease is rare, but if you are especially susceptible you are talking about life and death. In that light I found the comments reasonable. I myself am not worried and will not change my behavior.

I was simply affirming that one can more easily pick up an airborne pathogen in an enclosed space. Granted, the disease is rare, but if you are especially susceptible you are talking about life and death. In that light I found the comments reasonable. I myself am not worried and will not change my behavior.
An interesting perspective I heard yesterday was the 1908 flu epidemic affected young people is higher numbers than old. The hypothesis is that the strain of flu that caused that epidemic had mutated from a previous strain and that older people had some residual immunity do to a previous infection.

Of course if that is true I should be immune to every strain by now!

I agree! everyone should stay off of commercial flights. Especially any Luftansa flight to Frankfurt and then to Cairo this weekend.

Why limit it to those two flights? I'd just stay off Lufthansa if at all possible. The only thing Lufthansa and legroom in coach have in common is that they both start with the letter 'L'.

Have fun in Cairo. We've got a day in Egypt on July 27.

Why limit it to those two flights? I'd just stay off Lufthansa if at all possible. The only thing Lufthansa and legroom in coach have in common is that they both start with the letter 'L'.

Have fun in Cairo. We've got a day in Egypt on July 27.
I'll be in coach the whole way :(

You get what you are willing to pay for.

Nope. I got what work was willing to pay for.

And there is a significant difference at times. Lowest available fare that meets the needs of the trip. And that often means your Star Alliance partner (who doesn't know the concepts of E+ and channel 9).

Thank goodness my trans Atlantic trip this summer is on UA.

And there is a significant difference at times. Lowest available fare that meets the needs of the trip. And that often means your Star Alliance partner (who doesn't know the concepts of E+ and channel 9).

Thank goodness my trans Atlantic trip this summer is on UA.
What was real annoying is that the flights are code share UAL. But to book them on the code share flight number so that I could upgrade costs more than a $1000 than just booking them on Luftansa flight numbers. But I do get 5 days off in the middle of the week. So work pays for a mini-vacation in Egypt and then Ireland for me.

PUHLEASE!

So far.

I, for one, am paying more attention to little things. Washing my hands more often during the day. Refilled my little sanitizer dispenser that lives on my briefcase. Ordered a case of N95 masks. Went over our canned goods supply.

Why? Like I said in the other thread, there are enough tidbits epidemiological, clinical, and virological importance that differentiate this from other influenzas, and I'd rather be careful than callous. I also get stuck like a pincushion once a year to update the myriad of diseases I could come into contact with (because of the places I travel).

I'm no germaphobe or bugfreak. But, all it takes is one case. And this stuff will spread via the places I spend a great deal of time (planes, rural unimproved areas with dubious sanitation). ATGATT, man.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Back