April Fool's Day Confession Thread

I'm a little late to this thread, but here goes. When I was a kid, my brother and I would put salt in the sugar bowl. Our dad always put sugar in his coffee. We would eat breakfast with him waiting for him to choke on salty coffee. We got him every time. Why he never caught our expectant looks (we tried to hide it, but kids are pretty transparent, and I'm sure we were, too) was something I didn't understand until much later when I, too, found I could not be fully functional without coffee.

I think the best trick I pulled as an adult was a few years ago when I was dean of science at my university. We had a department chair meeting that happened to fall on April Fool's day. We were searching for a dean of engineering at the time, and UI is constantly thinking it needs to reorganize, so I made an announcement that the administration had decided to combine science and engineering and make me dean. I handed out an organizational chart with a few other new things on it, too. They bought it until the chair of math noticed a twinkle in my eye (I'm still transparent), and realized it was April Fool's Day.

But in fact, the joke was on me. Apparently a few years before I got to UI, just such a merger had been suggested, so it was, in fact, entirely plausible.

But I had 'em going for a bit.

Judy

Back