April Fool's Day Confession Thread

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
Okay, this is the thread to confess all of the pranks you played or if you got played like a fool.

I get zapped from my father in law ever year. I mean this little Irishman is world famous for his practical jokes. This year nothing........until I went and got the mail box. He mailed me a note that said "April Fools" GOTCHA! :lol:

They I went out to the airport and told everyone I was buying a turbo prop. :ihih:

I didn't do anything.

But I bet that $28296 in donations is an April fools joke...

Dell played an April Fool prank on me this AM. I rolled into the office 07:30, turned on the server, and it hung on the Bios screen. F2, F12 did nothing.

This is the 11 month old machine with the new motherboard, new hard drive(s), New memory, new power supply, and now this. Served the office off of my laptop all day.

Rose spent a hour with "harald" on the phone (one of sixteen or seventeen total, five onsite service calls including one that left me with NON identical hard drives, sigh....

Shame on me for every buying a Dell.....

Why do you shut your server down? You're more likely to encounter a software issue over time by constantly doing that--especially with Windows. Server grade hardware is designed to be ran 24x7x365 for MANY MANY MANY years.

Why do you shut your server down? You're more likely to encounter a software issue over time by constantly doing that--especially with Windows. Server grade hardware is designed to be ran 24x7x365 for MANY MANY MANY years.

HIPAA requires you shut down your server when you're out of the office? Are you sure? Which provision

With protocols like Wake-On-LAN, disconnecting is a lot more secure than powering off...

Yeah, but then you have to fire the janitor, too, so he doesn't walk off with your server.

Geez guys! , talk about thread hijack! Excuse me, but this thread was created to confirm I am not the only fool here! :lol:

BTW, I've never bought anything else but Dell. Good stuff, if you let it run. :fcross:

There were some interesting thoughts about April Fool's Day this year and how the internet (and all of the hoaxes) have diluted the "Day of Fools" as we used to know it. It comes at us 24/7 now. Used to be being accurate was a given, today the more outragous stuff gets the head lines.

Another interesting perspective on the further evolution of mankind brought to you by Geico.

I've never really been into the April Fool's thing. Some people do get very creative though, so I get a kick out of hearing those exploits.

Dell? Never again. Never, never again. Crap in a plastic box.

FWIW -- I have found that Dell makes a wide range of computers. They make low-end crappy PCs, and also nicer quite well-built office machines. At each price point, they compare quite favorably with the alternatives.

If you buy one of their cheaper offerings and expect it to be quality equipment which will last forever, you will be disappointed.

Chris

Geez guys! , talk about thread hijack! Excuse me, but this thread was created to confirm I am not the only fool here! :lol:
PoA wouldn't be PoA without thread creep :)

FWIW -- I have found that Dell makes a wide range of computers. They make low-end crappy PCs, and also nicer quite well-built office machines. At each price point, they compare quite favorably with the alternatives.

If you buy one of their cheaper offerings and expect it to be quality equipment which will last forever, you will be disappointed.

Chris

I'm the kind of guy who always opts for deluxe. give me a choice of cheap, medium, and expensive and I can always rationalize the expensive. Nope, I'm driving a top of the line XPS (for 2004 at least) with all the gewgaws. Definitely not from the budget line. Piece of crap, IMHO. Nothing works together 'cause they buy whatever components they can, whereever they can, and hope they'll play nice under Windows. Recipe for disaster.

What is an XPS?

I'm drivnig a top-of-the-line Ford, made in 2000.

I just let someone else absorb the first $50,000 worth of depreciation before buying it. :D

>PoA wouldn't be PoA without thread creep

I thought it was to make us usenet refugees feel more at home...

I've never really been into the April Fool's thing. Some people do get very creative though, so I get a kick out of hearing those exploits.

They are all crap in a plastic box. I've had good luck with Dells <sounds of knocking on wood> so far. I usually run them for about 6 or 7 years then it's time to update mostly because I can't run the software I need to.

My current machine looks like it will go a bit longer since I'm compatible with everything in the office and the web still works.

One thing I notice that seems to help longevity is use of a UPS. I noticed once at work I had far fewer computer issues than almost anyone, then noticed my predecessor pluged the computer (desktop type) into this honking filtered power supply (no idea why). When we had a power outage, the computer ran for ~30 seconds after the lights went out from the residual charge in the capacitors. It struck me that all the little electrical drops never got to my computer.

I recieved this email on 4/1. It didn't trick me but it's funny.

Dear Brent,

Premier Aircraft Sales today announced that it’s undertaking the development of a coal-powered DA40 modification, slated for certification in the first quarter of 2010.

Premier, which last week introduced the Cabin Cool™ air conditioning system for the DA40, decided it’s time for general aviation to “go green” in a big way. “Coal is clean, plentiful, and will help America fight its dependence on the global oil supply,” said Fred Ahles, president of Premier. “The market demanded it, so we said, “Let’s build it!’”

Although the DA40 is already the most fuel-efficient aircraft in its class, coal will bring even greater fuel efficiency to the aircraft. “Instead of buying fuel by the gallon, as pilots do with avgas today, they can buy it by the ton for considerable cost savings,” says Ahles. He noted, however, that the coal-burning option comes with some performance trade-offs. “Instead of using 1,200 feet to take off, this aircraft will require 8,000 feet of runway. That shouldn’t be a problem since so many owners are based at commercial airports,” says Ahles. “In addition, it will cruise at 59 knots – well above the stall speed.” It will climb at 6 feet per minute, and have a useful load of 0. Ahles noted it requires a FAA ferry permit for every take off.

For more information contact Earle at (772) 555-1234.

Very truly yours,

Fred

PS: April Fool!

I got RIF'ed and I don't think they were foolin:hairraise:, but today I am having fun so whatever, they can't take my Birthday away, right?

On a second note, I did receive a little Chipmunk figurine from my seventh grade principal for pulling the best April fools joke on him a long time ago. I came out of the bathroom and ran into him, and I told him in a very excited manner that the toilet wont stop running over and there is about six inches of water in the whole bathroom. He turns around and sprints away to find the janator, when they returned I and several other classmates that had gathered in the hall said April Fools!

After nearly seven years in development, the TiVo DVR-SuperAdvance is ready for release. The company bills the DVR SuperAdvance as the first digital video recorder capable of recording full programs before they've finished airing; it also permits fast-forwarding of live broadcasts.

TiVos have always been capable of skipping through commercials or jumping to the end of a given prerecorded program. But according to TiVo product evangelist Peter Onderdoink, the "aha!" moment came "when one of the guys in our labs realized that he could overclock the internal TiVo processor to get a jump on live recordings as well."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/01/AR2009040100493.html

Now Apple HAS to buy TiVo.

I usually enjoy Aero-News 4/1 issue, but I didn't find this year's edition too funny...

(and I'm getting really tired of the editor's continued rants at the management of Sun 'n Fun... he's letting his personal life spill over into his professional, and that's just not ... well... professional.)

>PoA wouldn't be PoA without thread creep

I thought it was to make us usenet refugees feel more at home...

Naah - they usually are way too nice here for us to feel at home. But sometimes you find:

I usually enjoy Aero-News 4/1 issue, but I didn't find this year's edition too funny...

(and I'm getting really tired of the editor's continued rants at the management of Sun 'n Fun... he's letting his personal life spill over into his professional, and that's just not ... well... professional.)

Complaining about Zoom LOL...

What makes you think he has a personal life?

FWIW, we are hugely affected by HIPAA regs, and we leave our servers on 365/24/7....

Is there something I should point out to our sysadmin?
Well your security had better be terrific because most of the information theft occurs when you're not in the office.....

point taken (but note I said "more at home").

Our greyhound bus driver yesterday seemed stuck up at first. We found out later that he was into interesting practical jokes. He picked us up at 3:00am on schedule and was BORING. At 5:30am when everyone was asleep he decided to stop in some town for no reason and drag out the tire chains. Everyone thought it was a joke. When he got back in, he just mumbled something about more snow and started driving again. 10 minutes later everyone realized it was not a joke after all.

About half an hour after that, he pulled out his trump card and got us stuck for real on Red Mountain Pass. Things weren't going as planned so I volunteered to help and was outside working on chain problems and sorting out the slipping problem for over an hour before it would go anywhere useful...like forward.

The best joke of all a few hours later when he dumped me out in a town far away from anything familiar. Apparently my ticket ran out there and I was completely on my own to get home...but I had a plan IF everything went according to what someone else told me some 20 hours previously. BTW, there's a very interesting feeling you get when you're dropped off in a mystery town all alone with no place to stay and don't know anyone there with only a moderate idea where you're going.

BTW, if anyone wants a tire chain that fits on a full size grehound bus, there's one laying in the road somewhere between the 4th and 5th turn of the north side of that pass where the road gets fairly steep. I felt it let go when the rear tire ran over part of it and yanked it off the drive wheel.

Last edited:
Back