Freezing Rain, WOW!

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
So yesterday was my BFR. While I still am trying to find the time to pick up another rating I once again was about to hit my 2 year time period and instead had to do a flight review.

After several days a wonderful weather in the midwest I was finally well enough from my bought with the flu to fly and do the BFR. But of course the WX crapped out.

Yesterday morning we had overcasts from 4k to 11k MSL with light scattered showers and a forecast for thunderstorms later int eh evening. The visibilities were anywhere from P6SM to 10+. It was good enough VFR WX to fly. The winds were a little strong out fo the SE at 8 and then gaining speed to 15G20 in the afternoon.

So off we went.

Temps were well above freezing in the high 40's and 50s so I did not even think about ice for this VFR flight. Had I been doing an IFR flight I would have paid much more attention to what was happening temp wise.

As we were flying northbound we hit the 2nd in a series of small, light rain showers. Only this time the temp had dropped from 5C to 0C. As the rain hit and the drops flowed up the windscreen I did not think anything of it. Seen it a hundred times. But all of a sudden in about 5 seconds all the drops stopped moving and I no longer had forward visibility! It was ice, freezing drizzle to be exact. A quick look at the OAT and I knew why, the next look was at the wings which also had a bunch of drops that were frozen on them, and my third thought was to turn around. But just then we were out of the dirzzle. I turned up the defroster to let it melt what was on the window.

I was amazed at how fast that happened. Had that been a real rain shower I can see why freezing rain would be deadly. In only the 10 seconds or so that I had been in the drizzle we accumulated some ice on the air frame. It was a real good learning experiences.

We eventually moved around the little shower and headed south where we were in warmer air and no longer had to worry about the freezing drizzle.

Having read about the hazards of freezing rain I had a theoretical knowledge of how dangerous it was. But wow, seeing a little sample of just how bad it COULD be was really interesting.

Best BFR ever!!

Oh and before someone asks, yes I did have the pitot heat on. I had turned it on early in the flight when we noticed 2C temps. I'd rather have it on and warmed up than run the risk of a freeze up.

Last edited:
excellent learning experience. i wish we all could get that kind of experience on our flight reviews.

Been there, done that in a Taylorcraft recently.

NOT fun but very educational as you stated.

"You don't need to practice bleeding."

That's not what I would consider bleeding. I would consider Scott's experience more of "putting a child's hand NEAR a hot skillet to show them it's hot before they try to touch it for themselves."

That sounds like a great learning experience to me, Scott. I'm with Tony, it would be nice if all instruction time taught you as valuable of a lesson.

I define good/great learning experiences as those which result in no damage to you or the airframe, but give you some real-world experience that teaches you valuable lessons and/or skills. A few months ago, I had a similarly good learning experience, when I ended up flying through snow and my windshield frosted up. It was fast enough that it occurred in the time I looked down at my chart and back up, but we got zero ice on anything else. Cleared up in a couple miles.

Practicing bleeding would be finding out what freezing rain can do by intentionally staying in it long enough to crash. That's a bad idea.

Don't even think about it...:nono:...

well not necessarily that specific lesson, but its good to get into some real world situations that required good judgement and action, and when that happens on a flight review it can become a very good training excercise.

...Practicing bleeding would be finding out what freezing rain can do by intentionally staying in it long enough to crash. That's a bad idea.

Being that there have been stories about "long enough to crash" being a minute or two....I guess the way to not get the bleeding practice is to be ready to "practice" getting the h* out immediately.

well not necessarily that specific lesson, but its good to get into some real world situations that required good judgement and action, and when that happens on a flight review it can become a very good training excercise.

As the event happened we starting talking about real actions. After the even we used the time to reevaluate what we had talked about and also the details of the hazards of ice and what it does to the aerodynamics of the plane. It was good learning experience. All to often training only happens when the wx is nice. Very few initial students get to train in MVFR to see what it is like, IFR students rarely get actual time, etc. So when you get these lucky situations take advantage of them. I was very happy that a CFI was sitting next to me in the plane and I could bounce ideas off of him as the situtation was unfolding.

My curiosity about ice was satisfied one December, enroute from Portland to Medford in IMC, about -2C. Descent was not an option, nor was it possible to climb out of it. I could see a buildup of about half an inch on the leading edge of an antenna, which started whipping back and forth like a happy greyhound's tail, so wildly I thought it would break off ...

... so I pulled over at the next rest area and scraped the ice off the radio antenna, as well as the rest of the front of the car.

(The "IMC" was freezing ground fog, and this was in a Ford Explorer on Interstate 5.)

I'm cured, thank you very much.

My curiosity about ice was satisfied one December, enroute from Portland to Medford in IMC, about -2C. Descent was not an option, nor was it possible to climb out of it. I could see a buildup of about half an inch on the leading edge of an antenna, which started whipping back and forth like a happy greyhound's tail, so wildly I thought it would break off ...

... so I pulled over at the next rest area and scraped the ice off the radio antenna, as well as the rest of the front of the car.

(The "IMC" was freezing ground fog, and this was in a Ford Explorer on Interstate 5.)

I'm cured, thank you very much.

How I risked my life rescuing a bulldog...

Attachments

• IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Being that there have been stories about "long enough to crash" being a minute or two....I guess the way to not get the bleeding practice is to be ready to "practice" getting the h* out immediately.

See Scott's post. It was an unintentional encounter, the intention was to get out of it immediately (and they did), no metal bent and no people injured.

Sounds like a great learning experience to me.

I define good/great learning experiences as those which result in no damage to you or the airframe, but give you some real-world experience that teaches you valuable lessons and/or skills.
I don't disagree... but unfortunately there are some pilots who would learn that you can get into icing and then out again with no consequenses. That may be the wrong lesson!

-Skip

I don't disagree... but unfortunately there are some pilots who would learn that you can get into icing and then out again with no consequenses. That may be the wrong lesson!

In that case, Skip, there ain't no fixin' stupid. :no:

I think that's a great learning experience where you can see how quick ice can build up while also having many options to get out of it.

I spent nearly 2 hours driving through light freezing drizzle, my defroster couldn't keep up at times. The temp rose to near/above freezing in the last 20 minutes and melted off some of it...

Attachments

• Car&ice 001.jpg
    Car&ice 001.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Car&ice 002.jpg
    Car&ice 002.jpg
    541.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Car&ice 003.jpg
    Car&ice 003.jpg
    641.4 KB · Views: 13
I think that's a great learning experience where you can see how quick ice can build up while also having many options to get out of it.

I spent nearly 2 hours driving through light freezing drizzle, my defroster couldn't keep up at times. The temp rose to near/above freezing in the last 20 minutes and melted off some of it...

Were you driving down I-80 right after Christmas when that happened?

main.php

main.php

main.php

In my case I went through 4 (expensive! Like liquid gold) bottles of windshield washer anti-freeze fluid over the weekend of driving....and felt very, very, very good I didn't try to fly it as was my first plan. As it was I had blown off going the previous weekend.

The fluid didn't help when I was rolling all alone up and down the icy Missouri two lane road noticing a) there were no natives about, but their trucks were in the ditch, and b) the bridge ahead over the creek which I was crabbing toward had no guard rail on the road leading up to it. :yikes:

Were you driving down I-80 right after Christmas when that happened?
Negative, I think it was two or three years ago driving back to Ottumwa from DSM. That looks nasty though, it looks like you got more run-back before it froze completely, maybe actual freezing rain rather than drizzle?

Negative, I think it was two or three years ago driving back to Ottumwa from DSM. That looks nasty though, it looks like you got more run-back before it froze completely, maybe actual freezing rain rather than drizzle?

Yeah, about an hour after we got through that stretch of road, they actually closed I-80 b/c of the ice/freezing rain.

Play around for too long and your airplane can look like mine did. It was a shame I don't drink, because I sure wanted one after that night. We diverted to the nearest airport after the encounter and I kept speed up throughout the approach.

These pictures were immediately after landing. It was difficult to even taxi to parking.

Attachments

• IMG00047.jpg
    IMG00047.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG00049.jpg
    IMG00049.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG00051.jpg
    IMG00051.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 53
Play around for too long and your airplane can look like mine did. It was a shame I don't drink, because I sure wanted one after that night. We diverted to the nearest airport after the encounter and I kept speed up throughout the approach.

These pictures were immediately after landing. It was difficult to even taxi to parking.

YIKES!!! :yikes::yikes:

Holy crap! Those pictures practically make me need a drink just to look at. :yikes::yikes::yikes:

That must've been beyond frightening.

Real ice is Terrifying. "Prepare to ditch" in a 13,000 hp aircraft descending at 4000 fpm out of 16,000 (so as to remain in controlled flight) is terrifying. The nearest airport- 300 nm.

Last edited:
OK. Bryon wins.

For pictures, yes... But I think Bruce wins:

Real ice is Terrifying. "Prepare to ditch" in a 13,000 hp aircraft descending at 4000 fpm out of 16,000 (so as to remain in controlled flight) is terrifying. The nearest airport- 300 nm.

I want to hear the rest of that one!

That reminds me - I organized a fly-out to Sheboygan for our flying club at the beginning of February where we were privileged enough to see a speaker, Douglas Holt, who was a B-17 copilot in WWII.

At 65 hours total flying time, he and the rest of the crew were put into a brand-new B-17 to fly it across the Atlantic to the war. (Yes, 65 hours total time, for initial/instrument/multi/aerobatic/combat/type training! :eek:) Well, they encountered ice at 10,000 feet over the Atlantic, and had no clue what to do - They'd never been trained for it. They kept picking up ice until they were unable to maintain altitude and headed downwards at full power. What saved them was that they were able to level off in ground effect and the salt spray from the ocean waves melted the ice off their wings. :hairraise::yikes::hairraise::yikes::hairraise::yikes::hairraise::yikes::hairraise::yikes::hairraise:

That ice looks like it was mostly accumulated on the ground. Was there freezing precip occuring after you landed? Were there any "horns" on the leading edges before landing?

BTW, FZDZ can be more deadly than FZRA.

Could you elaborate on that a bit Scott? Does this just apply to unprotected airplanes or booted ones as well? Isn't FZDZ pretty much the same thing as what you'd find in an ice laden cloud? I have been in the habit of discounting FZDZ forecasts somewhat compared with FZRA only because it sounds less ominous, so I could use some enlightenment.

That ice looks like it was mostly accumulated on the ground. Was there freezing precip occuring after you landed? Were there any "horns" on the leading edges before landing?

Actually, no, that was that way in the air. I was able to keep the boots free of ice. I could not do anything with the rest of the airframe. I will send pictures of the airplane the next morning later this evening.

Here are the pics from the next day. It took a few days to thaw out completely so we could bring it home.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 26
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 20
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 22

If you can share... how quickly did you go from "IFR" to "IAS"*?

Cheers,

-Andrew

* IAS: I Am Screwed

When I first got my Aztec a few months back and it was living outside, we got some nasty freezing rain. I ended up with about 1" of ice on the thing, looking not unlike Bryon's first pictures. We pulled the thing into the maintenance hangar to thaw out and my instructor said to one of the mechanics "Look what happened to Ted's Aztec! He was just out flying it!" The mechanic about went nuts until he realized that my instructor was joking. :)

Man, that had to have been scary.

If you can share... how quickly did you go from "IFR" to "IAS"*?

Cheers,

-Andrew

* IAS: I Am Screwed
Took about 90 seconds. Entered near the outer edge of a large depression in the North Pacific. The alternates were Sakahlin Island or Adak.

Not sure I can pull up anything at this point Scott, but what was the time location and altitude when you encountered this FZDZ aloft?

BTW, FZDZ can be more deadly than FZRA.
We were just to the north and east of KMKE, out over lake Michigan to be exact. Altitude was about 2500'MSL if I recall correctly.

I've been there twice. You didn't miss much.
Are you kidding?? Adak is a garden spot compared to Shemya!

Adak was the big city!! Bright lights, a bowling alley, movie theater*, food not prepared in large stainless cauldrons! Adak may just be heaven!

*ok movies are seen on a big screen TV. But compared to Shemya, that is a theater!

Last edited:
Back