In-the-ear headset comparison?

alaskaflyer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Alaskaflyer
Ha! I am starting a headset thread!

This morning my wife was expressing her personal dislike for the David Clark fit. While I love my ANR DC set (so long as I take the extra time to mold the gel around my sunglasses) I was thinking that a ITE headset might be more comfortable for her - and I might like it too.

So on the Internet I found three models: the Clarity Aloft, the Lightspeed Mach1, and the Quiet Technologies Halo. I want a cell phone/Mp3 input which (seems to) knockout the Halo.

Anyone taken them for a comparison flight?

A couple years ago I bought a Halo. For whatever reason it was incompatible with the audio system of the airplane in which I wanted to use it. The volume would not turn up loud enough. I tested it in other airplanes and it worked fine, so it might have been just this airplane or brand of audio panel that was causing a compatibility problem. The manufacturer tried to adjust the volume for me but it didn't work so he took it back and gave me a refund, no questions asked. I ended up buying a Clarity Aloft which I have used in a number of different airplanes, including the problem airplane, and have had no trouble with it.

I've flown with a handful of guys who use the mach1, and one person who uses the clarity. They all love them, seemingly equally. The Mach1 does seem to be a favorite, though I've never used any of them :dunno:.

I've been using the CA Pro model in my Pitts (noisier cockpit than you can imagine) and they're way better than Bose X or Telex 50D. I guess they're not for everyone though as it takes some practice to get them in properly to get the best performance. You also have to have great ear hygiene or you'll have problems.

You also have to have great ear hygiene or you'll have problems.

:rofl:

Do you find that 1)the foam earpieces last and 2) the headset is (relative to their size and weight) sturdy?

She and I both use ear canal stereo earphones for our iPods so I think we would be able to tolerate these ok.

If we get a DA40, I'll need an in-ear headset for head clearance. I plan on going with the Lightspeed simply because of their excellent customer service. :yes:

I plan on going with the Lightspeed simply because of their excellent customer service. :yes:
I'll second that. One of my Zulus developed an intermittent in the left earpiece. I sent it to them UPS overnight on a Friday. They got it Monday. It was back in my hands, fixed, Tuesday at lunchtime. No charge.

Richard, I've heard the way to go with ITE sets is to get the molded earpiece for your ears rather than use the foam piece.

I have the Mach 1.
Currently using it with the foam eartips because I've had problems with the custom-molded ones coming loose from the headset (as opposed to my head) in cold weather.
It's comfortable and quiet with the foam, but... the over-the-ear hook is required on the mic side when using the foam eartips; the hook can get uncomfortable after an hour or so.
I do like the custom ear molds (aside from the cold weather issue). And, they've been continually improving the system - so, the latest headsets should work without a hitch.

I am considering the QuietTechnologies' Halo or AuriComm for my next pax headset.

Anyone using (or tried) the Aerous VX3?

They talk a good game at http://jhaudio.com/ but I've never heard feedback from anyone that has used one. It uses a molded earpiece which sounds like it might be more secure and more comfortable, particularly for those of us who wear glasses.

Any real world experience out there?

Ha! I am starting a headset thread!

This morning my wife was expressing her personal dislike for the David Clark fit. While I love my ANR DC set (so long as I take the extra time to mold the gel around my sunglasses) I was thinking that a ITE headset might be more comfortable for her - and I might like it too.

So on the Internet I found three models: the Clarity Aloft, the Lightspeed Mach1, and the Quiet Technologies Halo. I want a cell phone/Mp3 input which (seems to) knockout the Halo.

I've owned both the Mach 1 and the CA. I traded in the Mach1 on a Zulu so I don't have that anymore. I found that neither was as quiet in my Baron as a Bose X, Zulu, or even a LS Thirty 3G. The in-ear types are better at attenuating high frequencies but they suck at low frequencies. I usually use the CA in my taildragger because there's a lot of high frequency content in the noise and since it's passive it can't be overloaded.

Thanks everyone, I ordered one each of the mach 1 and the Clarity Aloft from Marv Golden (with their 30 day money back policy) and will try them out this weekend, and report on my experience.

:rofl:

Do you find that 1)the foam earpieces last and 2) the headset is (relative to their size and weight) sturdy?

She and I both use ear canal stereo earphones for our iPods so I think we would be able to tolerate these ok.

I fly literally hundreds of flights a year in the Pitts and I go through about 2 - 3 pair of buds a year (you get 6 pair with the headset). I've never tried washing them and just throw them away when they get nasty looking.

They're not the most robust gear I own. They're fairly flimpsy and get easily hooked on everything so you have to treat them gingerly. I've resoldered the wires back into the jacks a few times because the crimping used is not as sturdy as it could be. I also fashioned my own mic muff to keep down the noise from the cockpit when I transmit. So strurdy? I'm going on my third year with my first pair using them in a pretty hostile environment so I'm happy with them.

My dad bought a Clarity Aloft a couple of years ago for use in the RV. My mom claimed that set after using them once, so dad went out and got a QT set. Now they are both happy. My wife used them once (switched out ear foam tips of course) and she is in love with them. She used them recently for 5 hrs on the way to San Antonio with NO complaints on comfort or noise. I haven't taken the time to try them out for myself yet, but everyone I have talked to say they are the bee's knees for noise in the RV which translates roughly to riding around in an empty beer can. ;)

I fly literally hundreds of flights a year in the Pitts and I go through about 2 - 3 pair of buds a year (you get 6 pair with the headset). I've never tried washing them and just throw them away when they get nasty looking.

FWIW, back when I was still riding motorcycles, I always wore foam earplugs. Had a stockpile of them.
When I'd collected a handful of used plugs, I would put them in a tube sock and toss it in with the laundry. Plugs came out clean and I never lost any in the process.

YMMV on the ITE headset plugs - they typically have a plastic tube running through the center; don't know how that would fare in the wash.

I have the Mach 1.
Currently using it with the foam eartips because I've had problems with the custom-molded ones coming loose from the headset (as opposed to my head) in cold weather.
It's comfortable and quiet with the foam, but... the over-the-ear hook is required on the mic side when using the foam eartips; the hook can get uncomfortable after an hour or so.
I do like the custom ear molds (aside from the cold weather issue). And, they've been continually improving the system - so, the latest headsets should work without a hitch.

I am considering the QuietTechnologies' Halo or AuriComm for my next pax headset.

Be advised that the QT headsets sometimes have problems with Garmin radios. I was getting a tremendous squeal over the air whenever I keyed the mic using my QT Halo. QT admitted that there is a problem (they blamed it on inadequate shielding from the Garmin radio).

Also, QT seems a little "disorganized." I returned a headset to them about 6 weeks ago, and I still have not gotten my refund credited back, even after calling them twice. :mad:

You also have to have great ear hygiene or you'll have problems.[/quote]

Nothing a q-tip can't cure!!!

Back