California Flight School

luv2pilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
luv2pilot
:blueplane:Has anyone out there heard of this flight school? Looking to get Instrument, Single Commercial out there and came across the following web site check it out and any feed back would be great....

http://californiaaviationservices.com/fixed-wing.html

The price is ok since I already have PPL so they said about 6 thousand less for everything.

price isnt horrible. it appears to be pt. 61 training? I know of a few pt. 141 community college programs that can get you through CFII/MEI for similar prices. depending on your goals that might be more useful.

price isnt horrible. it appears to be pt. 61 training? I know of a few pt. 141 community college programs that can get you through CFII/MEI for similar prices. depending on your goals that might be more useful.

In the same area? That would be great. Please give any information you have. I spoke with them couple days ago and they are about to go 141 which will be great then I can use the GI bill. I looked into ATP and schools like them for the multi and all the great things that they offer but it just seems very expensive. :frown3:

No, the community college 141 school's Im familiar with are in Iowa. Freeze in the winter and burn in the summer. 4 distinct season. you wont have any time to hang out on the beach in CA anyway, you'll have flying to do :)

No, the community college 141 school's Im familiar with are in Iowa. Freeze in the winter and burn in the summer. 4 distinct season. you wont have any time to hang out on the beach in CA anyway, you'll have flying to do :)

Thats fine with me not much of a surfer!!:smile:

I haven't heard of this flight school but I'll ask around.

Prices are pretty decent for the area. Although I have to think about their allocation of hours. I never looked at one package from zero to commercial.

My questions:

I'm not sure what the 2 prices per plane are. I'm guessing it's dual vs solo for any additional hours, but it is just a guess.

The 20 hrs solo works out $48/hr in a 172 vs $130/96 above. While the 180 hrs dual comes out to $130/hr.

Also I wonder how the 180 hrs of dual is assigned, I wonder if they will send you a syllabus. The program seems very heavy in dual and light in solo as presented. Just to pick some fairly conservative numbers, let's say

• a private is 45 hrs dual and 15 solo,
  • an instrument is 50 hrs hood/actual, 10 hrs sim (hopefully they have one), and another 10 flight time without the hood (taxi, takeoff, and landing), no solo
  • a commercial is 25 hrs dual, personally I would prefer to do it all in a complex airplane not just 10 and the rest in a fixed gear.
My wild guesses add up to 140 hrs dual, 15 solo, and I think most people in a concentrated program like this would use less. The way it's written the ground instruction doesn't look like it is included in the above.

It is also not clear to me how the pre-flight briefing and post-flight debriefing are handled. I hope they are of adequate duration and included in the price but not counted/charged as dual.

So I end up with 40 hrs excess dual. If it were my program I think it would be better spent as solo for the commercial experience. However, I do see an argument for dual cross country acting as a crew rather than instructor/student.

These are just musings after my initial visit to to the website. I'm just trying to think of questions not criticism of their program.

I haven't spent much time in Riverside but it's a good 40 mile drive to the ocean and it gets hot there in the summer.

Joe

Thanks Joe, I was unsure of the times myself it looks like a fair price but my questions is the same what is not included that they are not putting on the site. Need to call them and get some more info to make up my mind. ATP is also in the area but from some advise that I have received from other pilots it is not that great of a place and there are thousands of dollars in cost not told up front. I just want to find a place that is not going to make the training leave a bad taste in my mouth. Because like everyone here I love to fly and be safe and stay ontop of my game, I just don't want to be raked over the coals so to speak. Looks like you are from the area I will be in, so is their any other schools in the area that are 141 that you know of? I would love to use up this GI bill??

Derrick,

There are quite a few 141 schools (at least there were last year). I have not done any research on them.

The one I used (part 61) for my commercial multi and helo currency is Universal Air at El Monte http://www.universalairacademy.com/ they are a pretty good bunch but my experience is going in with clear goals and my own syllabus.

Joe

For that money, you're nearly at our own pro package which includes the CFI ratings. And we have no problem rolling up a custom package for ya.

http://flycorona.com/packagepro.asp

I wonder why one of those C150s is $103, I never noticed that before on their site.

I've never heard anything bad about Leo's operation -- but he is very law enforcement focused. If you're looking for the "in" to LEO flight ops, that's probably the best way to go, unless you have your own connections. Most of our guys are doing the traditional CFI/Regional/Right Seat path.

$0.02. Drop me a line if you want me to quote up something custom for your Comm. Good luck on the hunt -- there are a ton of good schools in the southland, most are worth consideration.

- Mike

For that money, you're nearly at our own pro package which includes the CFI ratings. And we have no problem rolling up a custom package for ya.

http://flycorona.com/packagepro.asp

I wonder why one of those C150s is $103, I never noticed that before on their site.

I've never heard anything bad about Leo's operation -- but he is very law enforcement focused. If you're looking for the "in" to LEO flight ops, that's probably the best way to go, unless you have your own connections. Most of our guys are doing the traditional CFI/Regional/Right Seat path.

$0.02. Drop me a line if you want me to quote up something custom for your Comm. Good luck on the hunt -- there are a ton of good schools in the southland, most are worth consideration.

- Mike

Mike looked at the web page and it looks awesome just what I am looking for, thanks for anymore information you can provide. Looks like this could work. Any plans for 141 in the future I would love to use this GI Bill for 60% of the training costs??

Derrick,

There are quite a few 141 schools (at least there were last year). I have not done any research on them.

The one I used (part 61) for my commercial multi and helo currency is Universal Air at El Monte http://www.universalairacademy.com/ they are a pretty good bunch but my experience is going in with clear goals and my own syllabus.

Joe

Great prices at this school spoke with Alex the owner and WOW!!! Look forward to going in and checking this place out as well, Thanks for the link great find, so was it everything that you hoped it would be??? Thanks

I can't speak much to the place in your OP, but I went to ATP. I'm on a trip right now but if you have any questions about their program shoot ke a pm and ill be happy to answer them when I get home. What are you hoping to do with your ratings?

Back