hummelbird

R

ralph squeglia

buy my plane fly for 10.000$ , 2gal./hr. at 100mph 10.00$hr.

I think he is saying that you are over 5'4" and 100lbs, which appears to be the max size of the pilot area! ;)

I'm building one of these things. I'm 5'7" and 180 lbs and I'll fit. But I'll have to mod the canopy some, because my short stature is because of short legs, not a short torso, and my head comes within an inch or so of the canopy. I want to register this thing as an ultralight (under Canadian law it qualifies) so I can leave out the ELT and the AB inspections, but we have to wear helmets in ultralights here and it won't fit unless I change the top. Besides, I don't like the side-flop-open canopy. I plan to make a simple-curve multi-piece affair from 1/16" Lexan, looking similar to some of the WWII fighters, and make it a little taller and either a slide-back or three-armed pivot doodad like I saw on a particular homebuilt long ago. Slides can be a pain, pivots work well. I'll also have to change the turtleback, which is no big deal.

Dan

Holy smokes, did you see how long it took that guy to get folded into the cockpit?

This looks like the same plane and runway, but crashes this time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrw2-VvekqU&feature=related

I've seen lots of people take longer to get in & out of a Mooney or Cherokee!

The Hummel Birds are cool little planes, and talk about cheap to own and operate. When their HP is over 100 they can really do some fun stuff, which I'd expect one would want out of a strictly one person aircraft.

The Bradley Aerobat looks similar but is even better. Some are stressed to +/-10Gs!

Last edited:
Holy smokes, did you see how long it took that guy to get folded into the cockpit?
Looks like he got in without issue to me. Cut the guy some credit--to each their own--looks like a cool airplane.

Looks much easier to get into than a Cub or Citabria--both of which--are also a lot of fun.

Honestly, I think I could fit into a hummelbird. Watching these videos....especially Jason's (that guy was bout my size) makes me realize it.

He got in there a lot faster than I got in the back seat of Chip's Husky! :yes:

DSCN3477.jpg

hmmm i always needed a cheap way to build multi-turbine time :)

I got a dumb querstion for you FAR lawyers out there....

61.31 requires a type rating for a Turbojet powered Aircraft (see bleow)

Sec. 61.31 - Type rating requirements, additional training, and authorization requirements. (a) Type ratings required. A person who acts as a pilot in command of any of the following aircraft must hold a type rating for that aircraft:

(2) Turbojet-powered airplanes.

Would that requirement apply to the Cri Cri? Or is the Cri Cri legal under part 103?

Second Would 61.31 apply to self launch jet gliders? Or would they be exemt as they are Gliders and not Airplanes?

Just curious

as regards the Hummel - I'm 6'1", 220 (well, 220 when at the time... :eek:) and was able to fit into a Hummelbird. Now, mind you, I didn't just hop loosely into the thing, it WAS more like putting it on than climbing in, but I did get in and it wasn't painful to sit there. :D

I got a dumb querstion for you FAR lawyers out there....

61.31 requires a type rating for a Turbojet powered Aircraft (see bleow)

Sec. 61.31 - Type rating requirements, additional training, and authorization requirements. (a) Type ratings required. A person who acts as a pilot in command of any of the following aircraft must hold a type rating for that aircraft:

Would that requirement apply to the Cri Cri? Or is the Cri Cri legal under part 103?

Second Would 61.31 apply to self launch jet gliders? Or would they be exemt as they are Gliders and not Airplanes?

Just curious
Paragraph (c) says, "Unless a person holds a category, class, and type rating...that applies to the aircraft, that person may not act as pilot in command of an aircraft that is carrying another person, or is operated for compensation or hire." Since the Cri-Cri is a single seater, I'd say the pilot can fly it without a type rating as long as it's done for personal pleasure.

My initial reaction was that paragraph (k) would apply, but it doesn't mention type ratings.

Ron Wanttaja

Paragraph (c) says, "Unless a person holds a category, class, and type rating...that applies to the aircraft, that person may not act as pilot in command of an aircraft that is carrying another person, or is operated for compensation or hire." Since the Cri-Cri is a single seater, I'd say the pilot can fly it without a type rating as long as it's done for personal pleasure.

My initial reaction was that paragraph (k) would apply, but it doesn't mention type ratings.

I don't know... Paragraph c does not seem to provide any exception to paragraph a:

61.31 said:
§ 61.31 Type rating requirements, additional training, and authorization requirements.

(a) Type ratings required. A person who acts as a pilot in command of any of the following aircraft must hold a type rating for that aircraft:

(1) Large aircraft (except lighter-than-air).

(3) Other aircraft specified by the Administrator through aircraft type certificate procedures.

(c) Aircraft category, class, and type ratings: Limitations on the carriage of persons, or operating for compensation or hire. Unless a person holds a category, class, and type rating (if a class and type rating is required) that applies to the aircraft, that person may not act as pilot in command of an aircraft that is carrying another person, or is operated for compensation or hire. That person also may not act as pilot in command of that aircraft for compensation or hire.

I think that paragraph c exists to allow solo flights. Paragraph a never says "except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section" and paragraph c never says "the type rating required by paragraph (a) does not apply if..."

I think paragraph k does apply:

(k) Exceptions. (1) This section does not require a category and class rating for aircraft not type-certificated as airplanes, rotorcraft, gliders, lighter-than-air aircraft, powered-lifts, powered parachutes, or weight-shift-control aircraft.

(2) The rating limitations of this section do not apply to—

(i) An applicant when taking a practical test given by an examiner;

(ii) The holder of a student pilot certificate;

(iii) The holder of a pilot certificate when operating an aircraft under the authority of—

(A) A provisional type certificate; or

(B) An experimental certificate, unless the operation involves carrying a passenger;

(iv) The holder of a pilot certificate with a lighter-than-air category rating when operating a balloon;

(v) The holder of a recreational pilot certificate operating under the provisions of §61.101(h); or

(vi) The holder of a sport pilot certificate when operating a light-sport aircraft.

Since the Cri Cri is an experimental and will not involve carrying a passenger, it does not require a type rating.

Okkay, dumb question. How would one go about obtaining a type rating for a turbojet Cri Cri?

Okkay, dumb question. How would one go about obtaining a type rating for a turbojet Cri Cri?
First, you obtain a DMH (Department of Mental Health) certificate of sanity..... :eek:

I've seen a Cri Cri on the ground and in the air. I never could figure out how someone with stones that large could fit them in that cockpit....

-Skip

You don't, because it's not required. See above. ;)

However, I have heard of checkrides for single-seat aircraft being performed with an examiner standing on the ground with a hand-held radio and directing the plane what to do overhead, or even just giving the pilot a set of ordered written directions for what he wants them to do. Pilot flies around above the airport while examiner watches.

How the examiner can tell whether that steep turn was ±100, I'll never know...

Well, that seems to be open to debate, doesn't it?

However, I have heard of checkrides for single-seat aircraft being performed with an examiner standing on the ground with a hand-held radio and directing the plane what to do overhead, or even just giving the pilot a set of ordered written directions for what he wants them to do. Pilot flies around above the airport while examiner watches.

There are specific instructions in the Sport Pilot PTS for giving a checkride to a candidate flying a single-seat aircraft. That's about what it amounts to. Someone who's taken and passed such a checkride gets a certificate that is limited to single-seat aircraft and no passenger carriage.

Well, that seems to be open to debate, doesn't it?

I don't think Ron and I are disagreeing on whether or not it requires a type rating - I think we're in agreement that it doesn't, the disagreement is over WHY it doesn't. ;)

hmmm i always needed a cheap way to build multi-turbine time :)

Not sure that it would be so cheap, and it wouldn't be many minutes at a time. Those little jet engines, as some modeler who owned one told me, burn a gallon of kerosene in eight minutes. That's almost eight gallons an hour, per engine, so we could expect between 15 and 16 GPH for the pair. I don't know how much fuel the CriCri carries, but the Hummel Bird has a seven-gallon tank.

Dan

IIRC, the Cri Cri has a 6 gal tank. So, at 15 gph you could fly for 24 minutes before you turn into a glider :eek:.

Not sure that it would be so cheap, and it wouldn't be many minutes at a time. Those little jet engines, as some modeler who owned one told me, burn a gallon of kerosene in eight minutes. That's almost eight gallons an hour, per engine, so we could expect between 15 and 16 GPH for the pair. I don't know how much fuel the CriCri carries, but the Hummel Bird has a seven-gallon tank.

IIRC the Cri Cri that shows up at Wings for the FlyBQ has 10 gals total. That's 40 min to dry tanks! But hey, it's experimental so you can add more tanks if you want. Finding a place to put them would be the problem...

Okay, I just looked up the specs.

The AMT Olympus engines burn 22.5 ounces per minute, or 10.5 gph. So, that's a total burn of 21 gph.

Standard fuel capacity on the Cri Cri, according to pilotfriend.com, is 6 gallons.

That means the endurance of this plane is just a hair over 17 minutes, making it illegal to fly at all in the US! :eek:

As is common in record breaking attempt verification, one could easily put a video cam in the cockpit showing the panel instruments and combine it with ground observation.

Last edited:
Back