Having trouble landing your Taildragger??

vontresc

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
vonSegelGoober
Don't feel so bad. Highly trained Airforce pilots have issues, too :)

Warning: The video soundtrack has some "bad words" in it.

Nice one pete. Hilarious!

Don't feel so bad. Highly trained Airforce pilots have issues, too :)

Warning: The video soundtrack has some "bad words" in it.

That was great! Seems like it's a true taildragger.

What's with the patdown at the end?

Some of those were take off too!

The U2 is really tough to handle on the ground and land. The guy in the chase car is always there when they are doing ops.

What I like most about this is how similar the U2 is, in basic configuration, to most gliders... it's really more like that sort of monowheel (single main) than any other taildragger. Lots of mostly-rudder turns, the inevitable problems keeping the wings from making contact too early... it really looks like a glider approach in most of those shots. Just much heavier, faster, and with a slightly less-effective wing.
Maybe they should've made it so it noses over onto a (titanium) skid fwd of the main bogey when it's slowing down- that's about the only thing that's kept me from ground-looping the 2-33 so far. It's usually done rolling before I can get into trouble... not like the U2. :D

I wonder how many of those were write-offs and how many just needed new skin?

Here's an interesting look around the cockpit of the beast.

anyone know if it still has the Yaw String after they upgraded the panel?

I was told by a U-2 Pilot it was sorta like being thrown off a truck and land riding a unicycle.

I like the music. Forgot about that song -- haven't heard it in years. That'll have to go on the "Not for my kids ears" iPod playlist with Straight Outta Compton by NWA.

it's actually reassuring to see that vid. As a pilot, I always question my abilities, and figure, ah, those U2 guys, yeah, they kick butt. Nice to see that even they have a bad landing once in a while.

Of course, the challenge of landing the Dragon Lady is somewhat greater (!) than landing a Matrix. Still..........

Re: You can't land this!!

wow, that looks like a hard one to get back down to earth! I bet it is great fun at 80,000 feet!!!!!

Word from a reliable source is that the name "U-2" came after an early demo flight for a bunch of gov't bigwigs. The pilot was not able to land it in a friendly fashion, take the stuff in the movie and add a groundloop. First person to reach the airplane says "what the hell was that?" or somesuch, and the pilot gives them a one-fingered salute with both hands and says "**** you too." (**** U2) :rofl:

Back