Aerobatic Training?

B2Soar

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
B2Soar
Does any one here have personal experience doing basic aerobatic and/or upset training with either Eddie Merchant at Cedar Rapids, IA or John Morrissey at east KC, MO? They both have 2 place Pitts.

Rick

I've worked with Morrissey a lot, and attended an aerobatic camp he runs. He knows a hell of a lot about competitive aerobatics and is an excellent coach and pilot. So is his wife. So is his son. I think his spin training is the best out there.

No disrespect meant to anyone that's been mentioned in this thread but people just seem to like to say that they got their aerobatic/spin instruction from "the best their is." To my knowledge, there are only two people teaching today that are in the aerobatic hall of fame for their contributions to aerobatic training, safety, and contest flying - Bill Finagin and Debby Rihn-Harvey. That to me would indicate a widely acknowledged acceptance of "the best there is." There's obviously nothing wrong with the training a great many instructors offer and the sport flying world is a better place because they're around and committed to teaching. For most pilots that's good enough by a mile. But if you really want to say you learned from "the best" then why not seek out "the best?"

No disrespect meant to anyone that's been mentioned in this thread but people just seem to like to say that they got their aerobatic/spin instruction from "the best their is." To my knowledge, there are only two people teaching today that are in the aerobatic hall of fame for their contributions to aerobatic training, safety, and contest flying - Bill Finagin and Debby Rihn-Harvey. That to me would indicate a widely acknowledged acceptance of "the best there is." There's obviously nothing wrong with the training a great many instructors offer and the sport flying world is a better place because they're around and committed to teaching. For most pilots that's good enough by a mile. But if you really want to say you learned from "the best" then why not seek out "the best?"

You bring up a good point and it's well taken. I suppose the issue is that "the best" is subjective, even (especially?) when it involves the IAC. In defense of my comment I'll point out that Debby Rihn-Harvey attends John's aerobatic camp and that he's coached the US Aerobatic Team, so he does have a resume. The OP asked specifically about John and, because "the best" is so subjective, I probably should have said, "I'd recommend him to anyone, he's the best I've seen."

Back