Do you carry your medical certificate?

U

Unregistered

This question came up today ...

When flying, you are supposed to have your medical certificate, your pilot's license, and a photo ID.

I had been under the impression for years that a copy of your medical cert was fine, and you could leave your pristine original copy at home. Looking at the FARs, it's not clear to me, but there is a better-than-fair chance I'm being stubborn about this.

Does anybody have an unambiguous view on this?

When flying, you are supposed to have your medical certificate, your pilot's license, and a photo ID.

I had been under the impression for years that a copy of your medical cert was fine, and you could leave your pristine original copy at home. Looking at the FARs, it's not clear to me, but there is a better-than-fair chance I'm being stubborn about this.

Ya no, it's not yet April 1st.....:-o

Do you feel that you can also carry a only copy of your photo ID or a copy of your pilot certificate? If not, is there anything in the regulations to make you think that the medical is in any way different? If you don't feel there's a difference, yet you don't feel comfortable using a copy of either of those, you might want to think about why you think a copy of the medical is OK.

It is covered under 61.23. Although I do not think that it reads very well. Either that or I just have trouble reading the language of the FAR's. 61.23(a) talks about flight operations which require a medical certificate. Based on that I would carry it with my pilot certificate.

I can tell you that when I have been ramped (FAA) or dealt with US Customs (Law Enforcement), both ask for License and medical certificate.

By not having it with you when you are flying you are not legal paperwork wise. Unless you are conducting an operation which will not require a medical.

Sort of OT, but be advised that we're now also required to carry our SODA and/or SI letter (if applicable) in addition to the above. (Per 67.401(j) effective July 24, 2008). HTH

I follow the regulation (I can't find it under part 91, but I can under part 61):
FAR § 61.3c said:
(c) Medical certificate. (1) Except as provided for in paragraph (c)(2) of this section, a person may not act as pilot in command or in any other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember of an aircraft, under a certificate issued to that person under this part, unless that person has a current and appropriate medical certificate that has been issued under part 67 of this chapter, or other documentation acceptable to the Administrator, which is in that person's physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft.

If you're worried about ripping it, you can laminate it as long as its not a student pilot certificate.

Yes. Pilot certificate, FAA medical, driver's license, DOT medical all live in my wallet which is with me at all times.

It is covered under 61.23. Although I do not think that it reads very well. Either that or I just have trouble reading the language of the FAR's. 61.23(a) talks about flight operations which require a medical certificate. Based on that I would carry it with my pilot certificate...

Well, I don't know where I got the idea from, but I've carried copies of everything except photo identification for years ... I am now internalizing the feedback from this board and I will be a newer, better person going forward.

I would note here that you can get a replacement medical certificate (or a faxed provisional copy good for 60 days, as I have just done) in the same manner as you can replace a lost pilot certificate. It's all on the FAA website.

Thanks for the feedback,

One of the lurkers

Since I get a new one every year (SI medical) I carry it in my wallet. It doesn't show much wear and tear after a year in the back pocket.

It's not that there's an explicit prohibition on copies, it's that the plain language of the regulation requires the certificate, not "the certificate or a copy." If a copy was authorized, they'd say it. The main reason for this rule is so pilots can't keep a copy of a suspended or revoked certificate (which must be physically surrendered to the FAA for the duration of the suspension, or permanently for revocation) and use that copy to fly.

I carry the original and always have. I was under the impression that this is required.

Since I get a new one every year (SI medical) I carry it in my wallet. It doesn't show much wear and tear after a year in the back pocket.
And someone with a 1st Class would be similar. Under 40 operating with 3rd class privileges, though, that paper could be almost 5 years old! I like the lamination idea, but, IIRC, it's not quite the right size to fit in my wallet unless it's folded.:nonod:

And someone with a 1st Class would be similar. Under 40 operating with 3rd class privileges, though, that paper could be almost 5 years old! I like the lamination idea, but, IIRC, it's not quite the right size to fit in my wallet unless it's folded.:nonod:

Laminate it in segments. Or just plain don't worry about it. If you never take it out of your wallet, there is no reason it should wear that much.

Laminate it in segments. Or just plain don't worry about it. If you never take it out of your wallet, there is no reason it should wear that much.
Yeah, mine is three years old and is still in pretty good condition because rarely comes out.

The FAA emailed me a copy and they said it was OK to use . Check with a Fed .

Sort of OT, but be advised that we're now also required to carry our SODA and/or SI letter (if applicable) in addition to the above. (Per 67.401(j) effective July 24, 2008). HTH

I may have missed it but the stated reg addresses only SODA and not the SI. I also read my current SI letter and do not see anything about carrying the 3 page document on my person. :dunno:

June 2008, got the renewal the Friday we left for Gaston's.
Thanks for the link, Grant.
I'll admit my confusion...it says "your authorization". Why would the medical itself not suffice as said authorization? (semi-rhetorical)
And http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showpost.php?p=400236&postcount=8 references a July 2008 NPRM that clarifies in the reasoning section that SI's are included. So a June 2008 issuance wouldn't reference the requirement, though it would still be subject to it. (I'm presuming a) that it actually did get past the NPRM stage and b) that the final language didn't differ from the reasoning stated in the NPRM.)

Does an SI indicate a shorter period of authorization or is that on a separate letter?

Does an SI indicate a shorter period of authorization or is that on a separate letter?
According to the AOPA it's more about keeping in line with IACO standards than anything else. PITA if you ask me. But yes, you have to carry your entire SI letter now too.

The FAA emailed me a copy and they said it was OK to use . Check with a Fed .
They won't do that unless you told them the original was lost/destroyed. Also, they didn't email you a "copy," they emailed you a new temporary original certificate (probably a 90-120 day void date on it); the previous original certificate is now void, and a new permanent original certificate should be coming via snail mail, after which that emailed temporary certificate will be void. The FAA simply does not permit you to have two valid copies of the same medical certificate in your posession.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back