Carry your Authorization Letter with you?

inav8r

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mike B.
I just received a letter from the FAA confirming their favorable review of my interim follow-up reports and reminding me of when my next set of reports are due. What I was surprised to see was that "Due to a change in our guidelines/policy, your authorization dated [ snip ] must be carried at all times while exercising the privileges of your pilot's [sic] license, either on your person or readily available in the aircraft."

I just went back and review my original authorization letter and saw no such verbiage and I don't remember seeing anything about this before (I'm no Mr. Current Aviation Events)... But I'm sure I would have noticed something like this from the AOPA website.

When did this come about?

Attachments

• carry your authorization.PNG
    carry your authorization.PNG
    122.5 KB · Views: 224
I don't know when it changed but...

Sec. 61.3

Requirement for certificates, ratings, and authorizations.

(a) Pilot certificate. A person may not act as pilot in command or in any other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember of a civil aircraft of U.S. registry, unless that person--
(1) Has a valid pilot certificate or special purpose pilot authorization issued under this part in that person's physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft when exercising the privileges of that pilot certificate or authorization. However, when the aircraft is operated within a foreign country, a current pilot license issued by the country in which the aircraft is operated may be used; and
Don't forget the part that follows the "and."

But my letter is not an "special purpose pilot authorization".

Not to mention that 61.3 hasn't changed since 2004 and my letter says "recent" and this requirement wasn't mentioned back in March '08, I definitely say 61.3 is not it.

How is your letter titled and what is the purpose of its issuance?

Also, what certificates do you hold?

How is your letter titled and what is the purpose of its issuance?

Also, what certificates do you hold?

A special purpose pilot authorization has to do with Cat II & III a/c as well as foreign pilots operating in the US, maybe some others as well.

My letter is titled, "6-Year Authorization of Special Issuance of A Medical Certification".

Yes, it's a new policy that pilots with SI medicals must carry the letter along with their medical. No, I don't know where it's written other than in the letter.

Found it, it's 67.401(j). The change to the requirement was made to bring the US in line with IACO rules.

July 28 NPRM on page 43063 about half way down the first column.

It states:

NPRM said:
In order to comply with our international obligations to ICAO, the FAA has determined that affected persons, those who have been granted an Authorization for Special Issuance of a Medical Certificate (Authorization) or a Statement of Demonstrated Ability (SODA) must carry their Authorization or SODA with them when exercising pilot privileges. In order to satisfy this ICAO obligation, the FAA has amended existing § 67.401(j) accordingly.

After much digging, the newly revised 14 CFR 67.401 (j) now officially reads:

14 CFR 67.401 (j) said:
(j) An Authorization or SODA granted under the provisions of this section to a person who does not meet the applicable provisions of subparts B, C, or D of this part must be in that person's physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft.

A special purpose pilot authorization has to do with Cat II & III a/c as well as foreign pilots operating in the US, maybe some others as well.

My letter is titled, "6-Year Authorization of Special Issuance of A Medical Certification".
I didn't realize it applied to the medical from your original post. I was looking further in 61.3 but the only reference was under Sport Pilot. Shortly after, I got sidetracked with issues here at the school but Ron got back to you long before I had a chance.

I'm glad ya got the answer and thanks for the chance for me to learn something new.

Huh? When you get or renew an SI, you get a new medical certificate with a new expiration date. How would anybody know it was a special other than the "not vaild after nn/nn/nnnn" part which is only unusual in that it is saying you don't get the standard 2,3-4(?) year validity?

Last edited:
The speculation that I read was that originally this requirement was only going to be for pilots who operate outside the US on their US issued pilots certificate, then the FAA lawyers got involved...

Huh? When you get or renew an SI, you get a new medical certificate with a new expiration date. How woudl anybody know it was a special other than the "not vaild after nn/nn/nnnn" part which is only unusual in that it is saying you don't get the standard 2,3-4(?) year validity?
I have no idea how anyone would know (other than the FAA that you had an SI). But you now have to carry your SI with you (the same as if you had a SODA).

Last edited:
crap - I need to go drag my most recent letter out of the files - if mine says that, I didn't see it! I've just been filing them for years.

crap - I need to go drag my most recent letter out of the files - if mine says that, I didn't see it! I've just been filing them for years.
Don't fret it, it's a new change that just happened, but is in the current published 14 CFR 67.401 (j). I plan to make a copy tonight and put it in my flight bag for the next time I fly.

Currently, all AME's are supposed to be reminding pilots of this change.

Last edited:
Let's hope ICAO doesn't force the FAA to impose tighter medical standards, too....

Wow... I guess I should actually read the information my AME gave me when doing my SI medical...

Says it right on the back of my newly issued medical certificate (Issued to me in Dec)...

Attachments

• back of my medical.png
    back of my medical.png
    29 KB · Views: 179
Let's hope ICAO doesn't force the FAA to impose tighter medical standards, too....
I don't think they will impose those standards here in the US, but after looking at the back of my medical, it would appear to me that if you're operating outside of the US you may have other countries standards imposed on you when operating in that country. Meaning that if you're disqualified there then you can't fly there. I don't do *ANY* international flying, so if this is blatantly obvious, then I apologize.

Just looked at my medical (issued July 2008) and no such wording on the back. I suppose my next one will include it?

Hmmm Would this apply to having to carry around my color vision SODA as well?

Just looked at my medical (issued July 2008) and no such wording on the back. I suppose my next one will include it?
The rule went into effect on Aug 24'th 2008. Technically, since that date you need to have your Authorization and/or SODA with you or in the plane when exercising the privileges of your pilots certificate.

Found it, it's 67.401(j). The change to the requirement was made to bring the US in line with IACO rules.

July 28 NPRM on page 43063 about half way down the first column.

It states:
Mike's got it.....and yes you carry (a copy of) your SODA, too.

Like most pilots.....sigh. See any of the last five articles in Twin and Turbine entitled, "How to blow your.....(SI, SI reissuance/Primary issuance/....it goes on." :O

Last edited:

Like most pilots.....sigh. See any of the last five articles in Twin and Turbine entitled, "How to blow your.....(SI, SI reissuance/Primary issuance/....it goes on." :O
Ok, in my own defense, I do read them ... well, skim read them. Familiarity breeds complacency, I guess, because they've read the same for years. I WILL be watching out for the new wording in the next one.

Sigh - how big is T&T's circulation? This is something AOPA should have noted, or the FAA could have sent a postcard on.

Post card from the FAA? Nobody want's 'em, each time I get one it costs me about $4,000 average.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back